Name change logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtobiasbluth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS 4 getting married before graduation/residency. My PC told me not to change it until after I start residency because it'll be difficult to get me into their system. But then I have to fill out a bunch of other paperwork, pay a small fee to reapply for my license, and then get my email/logins changed.

It seems that me changing my name afterward will be easier for the administrators but more inconvenient for me. But, seeing as how I don't have my marriage license yet, maybe I don't have any other choice.

What have other name-changers in my situation done?

Members don't see this ad.

if you are getting married before graduation, most definitely change your name BEFORE you get the degree…sure it may be a bit of a pain for the administrators, but who CARES! its gonna be a WAAAAY bigger pain for you forevermore for you to do it after…you will have to deal with the differences in names for residency, licensing, credentialing, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an MS 4 getting married before graduation/residency. My PC told me not to change it until after I start residency because it'll be difficult to get me into their system. But then I have to fill out a bunch of other paperwork, pay a small fee to reapply for my license, and then get my email/logins changed.

It seems that me changing my name afterward will be easier for the administrators but more inconvenient for me. But, seeing as how I don't have my marriage license yet, maybe I don't have any other choice.

What have other name-changers in my situation done?

You won't be able to do anything until you have the marriage certificate.

Go to the courthouse, get married, get your marriage certificate to use for the purposes you need it for now, and then have your wedding as planned. That is what I did, although my circumstances were slightly different.

The best solution is to get the name changed before the deadline to have it changed on your diploma. Unfortunately, that may have already passed. The deadline at my med school was in early April. Alternatively, it's going to be a pain for a long time.

Keeping your maiden name for professional purposes would save the trouble of changing it back after your divorce:whistle:

Keeping your maiden name for professional purposes would save the trouble of changing it back after your divorce:whistle:

Agree. Changing your name back is a lot worse. Thankfully I got all my stuff changed back to my maiden name in time for diploma and residency stuff. Changing your name either way is a lot of hassle

It's not really the marriage license--it's the social security card. This may not be universal, but at my program, we have to use whatever name is on the social security card at the time the appointment paperwork gets turned in to Academic Affairs (usually mid April). There are some things, like white coats and insurance, that I can go ahead and use the new name, but the Personnel appointment (which is ultimately tied to the ID badge), medical license, and NPI number (as of this year since the residents are registered in the PECOS system) must be consistent and must use the name on the Social.

You can't get the name changed on your SSN card until you have a marriage license
Very true. I did not mean to imply that you didn't have to have the marriage license in order to get a name change processed, just that it isn't enough. We can't start until we get the Social. Everything official flows from there.

Why change your name at all? I so wish I hadn't, especially since I have NEVER used my husband's name professionally but it always requires an introduction in a new work situation. But to change it back would require a legal name change that looks more problematic than divorce, and at the moment not interested in divorce, soooo....
:)
Btw I really like one poster's suggestion of getting hitched before the wedding. Keep it secret and divulge it at the reception. Fun for both of you and DEFINITELY celebrate both anniversaries!! Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Why change your name at all?

Absolutely agree with this. Just use your birth name professionally -- much easier in virtually all circumstances.

Btw I really like one poster's suggestion of getting hitched before the wedding. Keep it secret and divulge it at the reception.

Apparently, this REALLY pisses off a significant proportion of attendees at the 'fake' wedding (their opinion, not mine), so if you go that route, I'd suggest you not tell. Pretty much anybody, ever.

Apparently, this REALLY pisses off a significant proportion of attendees at the 'fake' wedding (their opinion, not mine), so if you go that route, I'd suggest you not tell. Pretty much anybody, ever.
Both of my siblings did this. I still haven't forgiven either of them.