Name of undergrad matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does undergrad name matter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterdunc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say my school is super prestigious or as well known. My school is a private bay area college.
Okay so course work is difficult/good education yeah? Sorry to me all private California schools are a ton better than some of the state/private schools in the midwest.

** many of the beginning posts were moved from another thread into this one **

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so course work is difficult/good education yeah? Sorry to me all private California schools are a ton better than some of the state/private schools in the midwest.
Well thats only you. The name of your school doesn't matter.

Reactions: 5 users
Well thats only you. The name of your school doesn't matter.

This^^, most dental schools won't even take into account what school you attended. If you're getting good grades overall, that's what is important to them, not the school you attended.

Members don't see this ad :)
This^^, most dental schools won't even take into account what school you attended. If you're getting good grades overall, that's what is important to them, not the school you attended.
Okay you guys are totally wrong! Say you are applying to the University of Michigan and went there for undergrad too. This is good because they know the quality education you are getting versus someone who went to Grinnell College. See my point? It does matter.

Reactions: 2 users
It does matter—period. A 3.4 from SE Slippery Rock State U and 3.4 from Princeton are two different creatures, don’t believe me, just ask the admissions committee at Harvard, Penn and Columbia.

Okay you guys are totally wrong! Say you are applying to the University of Michigan and went there for undergrad too. This is good because they know the quality education you are getting versus someone who went to Grinnell College. See my point? It does matter.

This is a whole different story, but if you’re talking about the less competitive dental schools, I wouldn’t say they look at it.

It does matter—period. A 3.4 from SE Slippery Rock State U and 3.4 from Princeton are two different creatures, don’t believe me, just ask the admissions committee at Harvard, Penn and Columbia.

Okay one is an Ivy League school lmao. I’m talking about public university’s.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, between state universities there is more parity, but the tippy top public universities, e.g. CAL and Michigan, do get more love from admission committees, and I’ve served on more than a few.

Well, between state universities there is more parity, but the tippy top public universities, e.g. CAL and Michigan, do get more love from admission committees, and I’ve served on more than a few.
Thanks for backing me up.

Reactions: 1 users
That does not address how it is evaluated from an admissions perspective. If you look at the Ivy dental schools, they are first most represented by their own undergraduates and then second, by other Ivy schools, that is no coincidence. Now, students might not give a hoot, but it does count for something for admissions.

That does not address how it is evaluated from an admissions perspective. If you look at the Ivy dental schools, they are first most represented by their own undergraduates and then second, by other Ivy schools, that is no coincidence. Now, students might not give a hoot, but it does count for something for admissions.

Definitely counts with prestigious schools like that. But say you’re comparing Central Michigan University to Western Michigan, it wouldn’t matter. Obviously when you talk about other high end schools like Ivy or a school like UofM Ann Arbor, it has to be a different approach.

I agree with you on that count...

I just dont believe that undergrad school has a role in admissions, otherwise a "prestigious, big name, top ranked" school like Michigan would be crawling with IVY leaguers, public ivies, or UC kids, no? If not michigan then what school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Then explain to me, what I just plainly stated, the most represented schools in the the three Ivy schools are their own undergraduate institutions, and next, other Ivy schools....

Then explain to me, what I just plainly stated, the most represented schools in the the three Ivy schools are their own undergraduate institutions, and next, other Ivy schools....
At that point we're just saying "the highest represented population at school X come from school X's undergrad" which is the same for literally every school across the board, doesnt matter about prestige or anything. The basis of this whole argument is that, if ivy leagues are the most important school to go to for undergrad, then why arent they highly represented in every prestigious school? Obviously people from Columbia undergrad are going to go to columbia for dental school, but thats the same for undergrads from Michigan, Arizona, Minnesota, Loma Linda, etc. (except for Harvard, an ivy league, who generally doesnt accept their own undergrads). At that point its a comfort/networking thing.

Sorry, but for comfort and and networking....that is a high cost for mere connectivity? The three Ivy dental schools also represent the highest average admitted grades and scores, so there is direct nexus to superior qualifications, and as well, why is it that the second largest group represented are from other Ivy schools. I’ll tell you plainly, you have the same GPA and similar course work from say Missouri and Yale, no one considers the education same, and the admission folks will give a nod to Yale, period.

Sorry, but for comfort and and networking....that is a high cost for mere connectivity? The three Ivy dental schools also represent the highest average admitted grades and scores, so there is direct nexus to superior qualifications, and as well, why is it that the second largest group represented are from other Ivy schools. I’ll tell you plainly, you have the same GPA and similar course work from say Missouri and Yale, no one considers the education same, and the admission folks will give a nod to Yale, period.
Dang maybe you are right. My mind is changed

** I moved posts from another thread to this thread, to prevent going OT **

Feel free to continue the discussion here.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the name of your undergrad matters to dental schools. They don't know how hard or easy an undergrad was by looking at GPA alone. They look at your GPA in relation to your DAT. The DAT is a standardized test, and levels out the playing field. High GPA + Low DAT = your undergrad was easy/there may have been grade inflation going on. Low GPA + high DAT = your undergrad was difficult, but you know your stuff and that's why you did well on the DAT.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree :)

Lol it don’t matter. But Ivy League fans will tell you otherwise

Reactions: 4 users

If this was true WHY DIDN'T THEY GIVE ME AN INTERVIEW INVITE???? This is a one-sided relationship ; ~ ;

Tell that to the kids you will graduate dental school with. Lots of the top students are from “lesser” schools

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, undergrad really doesn’t make a difference. I went to a no-name school and I got into dental school just fine. Kinda glad I did because a lot of those “top schools” are really expensive.:whistle:

I attend a T10 school, and several interviewers have told me that they were really impressed with my academics considering the rigor of the undergrad I attended.

While undergrad prestige is not objectively scored, I believe it does give a better impression than going to someplace like Northwood community college. And it may lead to the interviewer giving you more brownie points.

Of course, whether you attend MIT or Princeton doesn't matter if you have a 3.1 GPA/19AA or interviewed poorly. If you go to a prestigious undergrad, you better have the stats and persona to back it up.

I think it totally matters. I did a group interview and literally every student had a master's degree except the one person that graduated from Stanford only had a b.s.

• Wow
He/she/it that graduates with the least student debt wins. This video proves fighting over “academic pedigree” is a waste of time because you could be finding internet gems like this instead. You’re welcome.

Big Hoss

Unless you are going to go back and get another undergrad degree to enhance your application, this question is irrelevant.

But since you brought it up... :) of course undergrad Alma mater matters. Will going to a noname midwest school keep you out of dental school if your scores are solid? Nope.

It doesn't matter lol. All that matters is that you have a good GPA/DAT score regardless of where you went.

Unless you are on adcom, it’s quite a statement for you to entirely dismiss the importance of the school you invest four years in.

Because of prestige, it shouldn’t be surprising that Harvard, Columbia, UConn can get away with pass/fail and still enjoy a high specialization rate, while other schools rely on GPA and ranking.

Last edited:
Unless you are on adcom, it’s quite a statement for you to entirely dismiss the importance of the school you invest four years in.

Because of prestige, it shouldn’t be surprising that Harvard, Columbia, UConn can get away with pass/fail and still enjoy a high specialization rate, while other schools rely on GPA and ranking.
Just out of curiousity, are you a dental student or dentist?

Look. Everyone in life is dealt a different set of cards. If you are fortunate to be able to go to the best (debatable) private schools at all levels. Then good for you. If you can attend Ivy league schools because you think your chances of specializing will be easier. Kudos to you. Not everyone (myself) had those opportunities and yet ... I did ok. As wise @Big Time Hoosier would say. The ONLY thing that matters when you become a dentist is the debt you have. Nothing prior to this issue of debt will matter.

Seriously it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad. I have classmates that went to all sorts of undergrads.

In our class we have more people from State schools than ivies

Reactions: 6 users
I think it totally matters. I did a group interview and literally every student had a master's degree except the one person that graduated from Stanford only had a b.s.
AHAHAHAHAHA Not the case with either of the schools I've interviewed at so far. In fact I don't think anyone there had more than a BS.

yet people will define themselves by the schools they attend. seems especially prevalent with the ivies

• Haha
I believe that DS Adcoms do have a bias towards Ivy and so-called Elite undergraduate students. All things being equal, when 2 students have identical stats, I believe that they would choose the Ivy/Elite student over the "regular" college student. For many reasons, this is how the world works. Is this right, accurate, or fair? Maybe. Maybe not.

Despite this reality, I believe that a student should always choose the undergraduate college that they feel is best for them. When you choose your undergraduate school you have a myriad of reasons. Can you succeed in this academic environment? Does this environment suit your interests and support your personal growth? Can you afford the tuition? Can you see yourself socially fitting in with your classmates? Always think for yourself and make your own decisions based on what is best for you. Despite the mystique surrounding the Ivy/Elite colleges, not everyone wants to attend one. Perhaps DS Adcoms should keep that in mind.

Also, if you're not one of the Ivy/Elite candidates, do yourself a favor. Make sure that you do everything in your control to make your application stand out. Obviously, you want excellent GPA and DAT, but push yourself to go above and beyond with shadowing, volunteering, ECs, leadership, etc. There are some things that you don't have control over (like other people's biases), but there are a lot of things that you can do to improve your chances.

I believe that DS Adcoms do have a bias towards Ivy and so-called Elite undergraduate students. All things being equal, when 2 students have identical stats, I believe that they would choose the Ivy/Elite student over the "regular" college student. For many reasons, this is how the world works. Is this right, accurate, or fair? Maybe. Maybe not.

Despite this reality, I believe that a student should always choose the undergraduate college that they feel is best for them.

This is the right answer. Of course it matters, but don't be so obsessed over where you/others went.

This is the right answer. Of course it matters, but don't be so obsessed over where you/others went.
No like it seriously doesn't matter lmao. A majority of Penn/Columbia/Harvard did not go to a "prestigious" undergrad. Seriously people it doesn't matter. Get good grades, get a good DAT score, show that you're a good human, doing something slightly interesting = accepted into a plethora of dental schools.

You never see dental schools flexing the undergraduate schools that their students came from.

Reactions: 5 users
No like it seriously doesn't matter lmao. A majority of Penn/Columbia/Harvard did not go to a "prestigious" undergrad. Seriously people it doesn't matter. Get good grades, get a good DAT score, show that you're a good human, doing something slightly interesting = accepted into a plethora of dental schools.

You never see dental schools flexing the undergraduate schools that their students came from.

I'm not trying to argue with you, as I feel the same way that you do about the fact that it really should not matter what undergrad you attend, that being a high stats, well-rounded, good human being will gain the majority admission, I just have a slightly different way of looking at this.

One of the big reasons that acceptance into DS is so competitive is that there are so few DS schools and so few seats for all of the applicants. For the first screening by DS Adcoms, all of those applicants are simply virtual pieces of paper with details about themselves. There are a lot of details they ask: Gender, Race, First-generation, Family income, Place of birth, and schools attended, etc. When you are applying to be a dental student, why do they need to know if you are a male/female/gender fluid? White/AA/Asian/Pacific Islander? First-generation/Legacy? Raised by a bus driver/attorney? Born in Pittsburgh/Peoria/Prague? What college you attended? Because all of those details are categories that they have set up in order for them to build a diverse class. I believe that Ivy/Elite versus non-Ivy/Elite may be a category.

So, while the numbers may show that the majority of DS students (even at the Elite DS) do not come from Ivy/Elite undergrads, there are students in the minority that did. Was this detail the thing that tilted the odds in their favor because the DS was building a diverse class? Maybe. Maybe not.

With so few seats and such high level of competition to gain a seat, in a world where a cyber algorithm pre-screens thousands of apps before a human being ever lays eyes on one, when target words on apps are used as part of the screening process... Yes, I believe those details matter. I believe they are given consideration. I believe they may be a tilting detail when comparing 2 equivalent candidates at the time of screening for interview invites (algorithm) and in acceptance decision making by Adcoms (human beings using rubrics).

Last edited:

Can confirm that my interviewer (associate dean of admissions) specifically mentioned that they recognize the difficulty / grade deflation at Cal. I'd say it absolutely factors into your app to some degree, but certainly not to an extreme extent that it would completely override another person's stellar GPA / DAT from lesser schools. So basically - yes, and no.

I 100% agree that a majority at Penn/Columbia/Harvard did not go to a "prestigious" undergrad - but numerically speaking, aren't there more people from "non-ives" who apply there as opposed to people from ivies?

This is my point: You do not have to attend a "prestigious undergrad" to gain acceptance to any dental school, including the 3 mentioned.

However, some of us stipulate that attending an undergrad that is perceived as more difficult to gain acceptance into can give an someone a small advantage over similar applicants.

I know in the pre med world they say not to attend school's like MIT or Cal Tech because they grade deflate so drastically. A 2.5 GPA even from one of these schools will close a lot of doors. If you have a 4.0 from Cal Tech would that give you a boost? Absolutely. Is it worth it? No. You can get in to any dental school in the country from a state school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I think there's waaaaaay too many people from state schools in professional programs for this argument to hold much water, if any. The acceptance rate of Ivy grads might be slightly higher, but I'd bet that's mostly due to the same oft-discussed effect as lots of Ivy dent/med students specializing, ie. those who seek prestigious careers likely seek to attend prestigious schools as well in the first place. Anecdotal, but I attended literally probably one of the least-prestigious universities in the country with a decent GPA and good-not-great DAT and that was still enough to get 10 interview invites and multiple acceptances. Two other "no-name" state universities in my home state have excellent acceptance rates into grad programs, one of which has something like a 94% placement rate of their pre-med students.

can give an someone a small advantage over similar applicants.
Key word: small. My aforementioned undergrad costs ~$6000/yr (2 semesters), while a quick google tells me the cheapest Ivy league is ~$50000. If someone has a full ride, sure, go to Yale, but if you're paying/taking out loans and then intend to go to dental/medical school, there's definitely not $44000/yr of advantage gained.

Key word: small. My aforementioned undergrad costs ~$6000/yr (2 semesters), while a quick google tells me the cheapest Ivy league is ~$50000. If someone has a full ride, sure, go to Yale, but if you're paying/taking out loans and then intend to go to dental/medical school, there's definitely not $44000/yr of advantage gained.

Of course, financials are a hugely different matter.
Schools like Yale offer extremely generous financial aid scholarships, making them even more affordable than state schools in some situations.
But if you're taking out loans to attend Yale, with the intent to pursue dental/medical school? I'd hesitate. Make wise decisions.

As far as the initial topic is concerned, the reason why the thread was started - I stick to the point I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.