Naplex help!!! I can't pass, still!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mom of 2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions/magic anything to help me pass the Naplex? I have taken it 3 times and failed. :( I am now in the process of having to redo 1000 intern hours required by my state, VA, so I can attempt it again, after I get permission from the board. I have the Rx Prep Book and I have the videos and Q-banks. I do great on the math when I do it there and score a 65 or higher on the other Q-banks as well the first time I take them. It seems like I can't get it for the life of me on the Naplex though. I have have tried everything from flashcards to notebooks, to friends who have passed coming over and questioning me. I know the first time I took it I was over confident, especially since all my friends took it and passed, and some only read a few chapters in the book. The 2nd time the test anxiety really got me and I got in the way of myself. I have now gone and gotten medication to help with the test anxiety and I still failed after watching videos and flash cards this 3rd time. I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to actually taking the test though. I just read that if you take your time and score better on the first half of the exam it brings your overall score up a lot. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do differently while studying or more importantly in the exam? I feel like it's a blur in there and that I miss things in the case or something, at least when I look back now. I feel like I must of missed some major lab values or something. If anyone can shed some light and give me some advice/recommendations/ or a wish to pass, I would greatly appreciate it. The worst part of failing, other than crying and feeling like a complete *****, is facing my 2 kids, both under 6, and having them ask why are you still studying, lets go play. I mean seriously I should have been working a long time ago. Anything you got is greatly appreciated. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried passnaplexnow ? I did rxprep and failed my first attempt with 53 and ran out of time. I passed my second attempt and scored 94 finished 15 minutes earlier by using passnaplexnow and pronto pass math. Passnaplexnow vedios are excellent and is taught by an MD and a pharmacist. I also did 2 prenaplex before my second attempt and was improving every time I took them. Don't only rely on one reference but try different resources. Hope this helps

Reactions: 5 users
I haven't tried anything other than Rx Prep, everyone seems to say they are the best. I will definitely look into PassNaplexnow. Thanks for the advice.

Have you tried passnaplexnow ? I did rxprep and failed my first attempt with 53 and ran out of time. I passed my second attempt and scored 94 finished 15 minutes earlier by using passnaplexnow and pronto pass math. Passnaplexnow vedios are excellent and is taught by an MD and a pharmacist. I also did 2 prenaplex before my second attempt and was improving every time I took them. Don't only rely on one reference but try different resources. Hope this helps
Hi, I did try the pass naplex now but only the book that my friend gave me. Could you please tell me the difference between the video and the book. Should I buy the video too? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I did try the pass naplex now but only the book that my friend gave me. Could you please tell me the difference between the video and the book. Should I buy the video too? Thanks
Good question!
The listening part helped me a lot. Without it I don't think I was able to understand the slides. The slides made more sense with the videos. To be honest with you, I used the videos more than the text. I listened to them at least 3 times and some of them even more than that. Then made my own notes out of my listening. I tried rxprep and passnaplexnow but I found that rxprep videos were boring and overwhelming. Most of them were just reading what was in the text.

Good question!
The listening part helped me a lot. Without it I don't think I was able to understand the slides. The slides made more sense with the videos. To be honest with you, I used the videos more than the text. I listened to them at least 3 times and some of them even more than that. Then made my own notes out of my listening. I tried rxprep and passnaplexnow but I found that rxprep videos were boring and overwhelming. Most of them were just reading what was in the text.
Thanks a lot.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/suggestions/magic anything to help me pass the Naplex? I have taken it 3 times and failed. :( I am now in the process of having to redo 1000 intern hours required by my state, VA, so I can attempt it again, after I get permission from the board. I have the Rx Prep Book and I have the videos and Q-banks. I do great on the math when I do it there and score a 65 or higher on the other Q-banks as well the first time I take them. It seems like I can't get it for the life of me on the Naplex though. I have have tried everything from flashcards to notebooks, to friends who have passed coming over and questioning me. I know the first time I took it I was over confident, especially since all my friends took it and passed, and some only read a few chapters in the book. The 2nd time the test anxiety really got me and I got in the way of myself. I have now gone and gotten medication to help with the test anxiety and I still failed after watching videos and flash cards this 3rd time. I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to actually taking the test though. I just read that if you take your time and score better on the first half of the exam it brings your overall score up a lot. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do differently while studying or more importantly in the exam? I feel like it's a blur in there and that I miss things in the case or something, at least when I look back now. I feel like I must of missed some major lab values or something. If anyone can shed some light and give me some advice/recommendations/ or a wish to pass, I would greatly appreciate it. The worst part of failing, other than crying and feeling like a complete *****, is facing my 2 kids, both under 6, and having them ask why are you still studying, lets go play. I mean seriously I should have been working a long time ago. Anything you got is greatly appreciated. TIA!

Your message just broke my heart, because I was in your exact same shoes. I failed Naplex twice and passed the 3rd time and my law exam I failed the same amount of times. It took me over a year after my first attempt to finally pass due to all the 90-91 day waiting periods. I kept asking myself what was wrong with me since mostly everyone passes, right? And I totally couldn't figure it out when I did everything. I have anxiety too, and I addressed it the last time I took it and now, I have passed both now without taking CE courses. Thank God. Anxiety is probably a very VERY big part of this!

You are going through a lot, and I totally get it, believe me. It really hurts your self-confidence and career and finances, and you feel you have to hide or not tell people. I think the best thing is to not tell everyone, so that you can just focus on what you need to do. You also cannot just hide in a room and study all day (I thought this would work for punishment, but it ruined me). What I did was hide for at least 5 hours a day at the library or on your days off from work (you are a mom so it's probably very hard to juggle work and children and sleep), but you may have to take leave from work or cut down hours somehow in order to go all out this time. It is worth it. I took leave/quit my job- they were gonna fire me anyway if I didn't pass. I treated each study session as an 8 hour work day with breaks. It was very hard for a few months, because I wanted to go play or go out to special events, so I always fell behind my study calendar. I would say give yourself 2 months and start over fresh. I kept using my old material because I read the RX prep book 3 x (but when you read chapter 70, you forget chapter 15, it's so frustrating), I did all of the online videos and question banks and scored 50-70 on them too), I did pre-naplex, and still failed by a few points. I decided that I wasn't solid on math, so what I did was buy fresh new material from 2016, the new test banks, a kaplan book with 2 tests, proton pass math flash cards, sdn120 math questions, ebay pharmacy charts, etc. I wasn't able to get through the entire things, so some new material are untouched, but the new online videos and questions in the online course helped me tremendously. Reading the book many times didn't help me because I would just memorize things and forget them. Questions over and over again emphasize the big concepts, and you can eliminate on the exam the wrong answers quicker. I kept doing questions, and made flash cards (but it's impossible to make flashcards for all the drugs out there in the world plus all of the key monitoring points etc...)

Math on the Naplex is more complex than what is taught in the book. It was most similar to the SDN 120 practice questions in my opinion (the SDN 120 questions are harder though, so a good prep). Also, the proton pass math flashcards review every tiny detail and core concept (the first few flashcards even teach you how to divide and multiply or something- I forgot. it seems ridiculous, but it does get harder. I thought it was soo great to refresh my math methods and core concepts. I did every flashcard and reviewed all my knowledge and made a summary review sheet of different math topics/ equations. The Naplex math is complicated and with the timed test, you get anxious and can't think straight.

I think you should do everything again, but this time, more questions or test yourself on the big concepts. I can directly message you more if needed and we can chat. I know how you feel, and if I could do it, you can too!!!!

******Also, if anyone needs RX 2016 material (RX 2016 book-NEW in original packaging, questions, charts, extra Kaplan books with 2 tests, and flashcards, etc, I have them all for resell.) PM me!!!****

Reactions: 2 users

I TOTALLY understand! Being a mom and trying to pass this damn test is not only emotionally frustrating but mentally exhausting. People don't understand how hard it is for others. Yes it's a competency exam, but some of us aren't good test takers period. I remember doing TERRIBLE on PCAT. Hang in there, you are not alone. If you need encouragement or someone to talk to PM me. I know how you feel, I tried once while i was pregnant with really bad morning sickness and the second time right after giving birth and recovering from baby blues (that's a whole different struggle). Don't beat yourself up. You CAN pass!

Last edited:
Hi Dear,

I failed NAPLEX two times with low score. I need your advice please as you said Passnaplexnow is helpful. I am so confused what to do I have Rx prep course, online videos, test bank and the book, of course. I recently bought pronto pass combo pack as there are offering a good deal $510 for whole package. I am not good in math but I have improved a lot did rx prep math practice before the exams and practiced them until i get 100% score. Also, I have SDN 120 ques. But nothing is working for me. I understand, my first attempt was not serious ( I didn't use any video except rx prep book). I took test when I was pregnant and second time I took test after a few months of my delivery. I was very confident that a least I would get passing score but I shocked when I got the mail saying unusually low score. I am so depressed please need advice from you or anyone, who can give me courage and hope. I read your post and now m confused should I buy passnaplex now and start again with the new material? or should I continue my 2016 rx prep test bank and video.

Hi Dear,

I failed NAPLEX two times with low score. I need your advice please as you said Passnaplexnow is helpful. I am so confused what to do I have Rx prep course, online videos, test bank and the book, of course. I recently bought pronto pass combo pack as there are offering a good deal $510 for whole package. I am not good in math but I have improved a lot did rx prep math practice before the exams and practiced them until i get 100% score. Also, I have SDN 120 ques. But nothing is working for me. I understand, my first attempt was not serious ( I didn't use any video except rx prep book). I took test when I was pregnant and second time I took test after a few months of my delivery. I was very confident that a least I would get passing score but I shocked when I got the mail saying unusually low score. I am so depressed please need advice from you or anyone, who can give me courage and hope. I read your post and now m confused should I buy passnaplex now and start again with the new material? or should I continue my 2016 rx prep test bank and video.

A friend of mine just passed NAPLEX and she is selling her passnaplex book and online video which will be expired in Feb 2017. I honestly think Rxprep vidoes are boring, passnaplex now videos are taught by MD & Pharmacist and explained so well, with mnemonics as well. For example, Beta blocker side effects- BLOCKER B-bradycardia/ Bronchospasm, L- increase in Lipids/ decrease Libido, O- Orthostatic Hypotension, C- conducation abnormalities, K-Konstriction of peripheral vasculature, E- Exhastion/ Emotional depression, R- Reduced recongition of hypoglycemia. And there are so much more..mnemonics, you won't forget and easy to recall during exam. Lots of people pass NAPLEX with passnaplex now book said they can hear Goldie's voice during exam. Also they explain you why you need to choose this answer and what you shouldn't choose the others. They have live course in Calfornia too. Almost all people pass with flying colors after studying with passnaplex book & online videos. Please give a try, it worths the money. You can make it back when you get the job. Failing is depressing and siting at home for another 91 days or more.

PM me if you need passnaplex book and online videos.

I haven't tried anything other than Rx Prep, everyone seems to say they are the best. I will definitely look into PassNaplexnow. Thanks for the advice.
A friend of mine just passed NAPLEX and she is selling her passnaplex book and online video which will be expired in Feb 2017. I honestly think Rxprep vidoes are boring, passnaplex now videos are taught by MD & Pharmacist and explained so well, with mnemonics as well. For example, Beta blocker side effects- BLOCKER B-bradycardia/ Bronchospasm, L- increase in Lipids/ decrease Libido, O- Orthostatic Hypotension, C- conducation abnormalities, K-Konstriction of peripheral vasculature, E- Exhastion/ Emotional depression, R- Reduced recongition of hypoglycemia. And there are so much more..mnemonics, you won't forget and easy to recall during exam. Lots of people pass NAPLEX with passnaplex now book said they can hear Goldie's voice during exam. Also they explain you why you need to choose this answer and what you shouldn't choose the others. They have live course in Calfornia too. Almost all people pass with flying colors after studying with passnaplex book & online videos. Please give a try, it worths the money. You can make it back when you get the job. Failing is depressing and siting at home for another 91 days or more.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you so much for the advice. should I attend the live course also?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the advice. should I attend the live course also?
Buy online lecture + Books first and listen/practice first. If you can afford, attend the live class as well. Lots of foregin grad attended and passed.

I had Dr. Shapiro for the live lecture and I found her much more helpful than the majority of the videos! Granted I didn't watch every video..but some of those videos were worthless, like the contraception one. I liked the live lectures and would recommend, but as a disclosure, my school paid for it...I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Did you take your naplex? any updates?

Hey. Are the passnaplex books and online videos still available?

Hi! I just found out I failed the NAPLEX. I used RxPrep. Now I don't even know how to start studying again. Based on what everyone said above, I would like to try passnaplex this time. Do you still have the passnaplex book? Also, if anyone has any advise on how to study, that would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The PNN will be hard to follow without the online videos. If you are not willing to pay for the videos, I would stay with Rxprep.

hello am so happy and excited for you that you passed your test. can i pls buy your passnaplexnow now materials, including the videos, books and online quizzes, thank you. my email address is [email protected].

Hi Friends! I passed NAPLEX :soexcited:I am very thankful to all my friends here who gave me advise and helped me. I used PNN and pronto pass course. I also used 2015 RX PREP book for few chapters. I am selling 2016 PNN books and pronto pass whole bundle and RX Prep 2015 book (plus few chapters (photocopies) that has been added in 2016 Rx prep) such as, compounding and Drug Mechanism.
ProntoPass Quick cards (rubber banded together for each disease state) purchased/ 2016
Brand NEW Quick cards Summary, complete posters
Math practice Quick cards ($139 value-)
*Free Audio CD questions and answers
If somebody needs whole package or only pronto pass study material please inbox....

Hi! I just found out I failed the NAPLEX. I used RxPrep. Now I don't even know how to start studying again. Based on what everyone said above, I would like to try passnaplex this time. Do you still have the passnaplex book? Also, if anyone has any advise on how to study, that would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Don't give up and study hard you can do it. PNN is the best and pronto pass
No doubt Rx Prep is good but is has a lot of information which is hard to remember so I used the book only for few chapters such as ID. I used multiple resources for study.

Hi Xavixaviqu,

Congratulations on passing!!!! Any advice? I previously used Rxprep, but recently purchased PNN. How useful was ProntoPass? Thanks in advance
Thanks
Pronto pass posters and maths cards were really helpful. I listened PNN lectures more than twice and two times did their question bank. No doubt they have excellent lecture. Study hard everyday atleast 6 to 8n hours. You are on right track PNN is the best.

Last edited:
Hi Friends! I passed NAPLEX :soexcited:I am very thankful to all my friends here who gave me advise and helped me. I used PNN and pronto pass course. I also used 2015 RX PREP book for few chapters. I am selling 2016 PNN books and pronto pass whole bundle and RX Prep 2015 book (plus few chapters (photocopies) that has been added in 2016 Rx prep) such as, compounding and Drug Mechanism.
ProntoPass Quick cards (rubber banded together for each disease state) purchased/ 2016
If somebody needs whole package or only pronto pass study material please inbox....
Congratulations! I just discovered I failed the NAPLEX for the second time. Missed by four points. I'm so disheartened. Do you still have the study aids available? I used RXprep both times.

Congratulations! I just discovered I failed the NAPLEX for the second time. Missed by four points. I'm so disheartened. Do you still have the study aids available? I used RXprep both times.
Use PNN + videos. Use Rxprep for biostats+math. You will score >100

Your message just broke my heart, because I was in your exact same shoes. I failed Naplex twice and passed the 3rd time and my law exam I failed the same amount of times. It took me over a year after my first attempt to finally pass due to all the 90-91 day waiting periods. I kept asking myself what was wrong with me since mostly everyone passes, right? And I totally couldn't figure it out when I did everything. I have anxiety too, and I addressed it the last time I took it and now, I have passed both now without taking CE courses. Thank God. Anxiety is probably a very VERY big part of this!

You are going through a lot, and I totally get it, believe me. It really hurts your self-confidence and career and finances, and you feel you have to hide or not tell people. I think the best thing is to not tell everyone, so that you can just focus on what you need to do. You also cannot just hide in a room and study all day (I thought this would work for punishment, but it ruined me). What I did was hide for at least 5 hours a day at the library or on your days off from work (you are a mom so it's probably very hard to juggle work and children and sleep), but you may have to take leave from work or cut down hours somehow in order to go all out this time. It is worth it. I took leave/quit my job- they were gonna fire me anyway if I didn't pass. I treated each study session as an 8 hour work day with breaks. It was very hard for a few months, because I wanted to go play or go out to special events, so I always fell behind my study calendar. I would say give yourself 2 months and start over fresh. I kept using my old material because I read the RX prep book 3 x (but when you read chapter 70, you forget chapter 15, it's so frustrating), I did all of the online videos and question banks and scored 50-70 on them too), I did pre-naplex, and still failed by a few points. I decided that I wasn't solid on math, so what I did was buy fresh new material from 2016, the new test banks, a kaplan book with 2 tests, proton pass math flash cards, sdn120 math questions, ebay pharmacy charts, etc. I wasn't able to get through the entire things, so some new material are untouched, but the new online videos and questions in the online course helped me tremendously. Reading the book many times didn't help me because I would just memorize things and forget them. Questions over and over again emphasize the big concepts, and you can eliminate on the exam the wrong answers quicker. I kept doing questions, and made flash cards (but it's impossible to make flashcards for all the drugs out there in the world plus all of the key monitoring points etc...)

Math on the Naplex is more complex than what is taught in the book. It was most similar to the SDN 120 practice questions in my opinion (the SDN 120 questions are harder though, so a good prep). Also, the proton pass math flashcards review every tiny detail and core concept (the first few flashcards even teach you how to divide and multiply or something- I forgot. it seems ridiculous, but it does get harder. I thought it was soo great to refresh my math methods and core concepts. I did every flashcard and reviewed all my knowledge and made a summary review sheet of different math topics/ equations. The Naplex math is complicated and with the timed test, you get anxious and can't think straight.

I think you should do everything again, but this time, more questions or test yourself on the big concepts. I can directly message you more if needed and we can chat. I know how you feel, and if I could do it, you can too!!!!

******Also, if anyone needs RX 2016 material (RX 2016 book-NEW in original packaging, questions, charts, extra Kaplan books with 2 tests, and flashcards, etc, I have them all for resell.) PM me!!!****
There is nothing wrong with you, i'm sorry you failed. The exams are about as big a joke as the profession itself. Don't sweat it. If your a new pharm you will understand what i mean in 1-3 years of starting to practice. best to you....

Hi just wanted to know, is this the new naplex? And was there anything different from it from your previous attempt?

Do you still have PNN for sale?

I took the new NAPLEX and passed after failing it the first time. Study hard and try again. You'll pass. Good luck!!!!

Hello. Is the PNN online reviewer still available from your friend? I too have failed Naplex twice (the first one I did not get a score because I was not able to finish it, and this 2nd try I got a 66.). I am desperate to pass it but to be honest I am completely demoralized.

Hello. Is the PNN online reviewer still available from your friend? I too have failed Naplex twice (the first one I did not get a score because I was not able to finish it, and this 2nd try I got a 66.). I am desperate to pass it but to be honest I am completely demoralized.
Did you take the new November NAPLEX?

I came across your posting and I was wondering if you have been able to retake the Naplex already!

Last edited: