Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gchild2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the Naplex a few days ago and I am so excited to find out that I passed. The questions were all over the place. I have more questions on oncology sections but I was lucky enough to have read that section well and also listen to the video. I had about 15 questions left and time run out on me and I was so disappointed. Was so worried about those questions I didn’t get to finish but Thank God I passed. For those of you who are taking it soon just relax, make sure you pay attention to the allergy section: it seems like most cases have allergy to look out for. Both the first line tx and second line tx would be in the choice, if you don’t pay attention to the allergy, it’s easy to pick the wrong answers. Pay attention to the time!!!! It seems like most math questions are on the second half of the exam, try to keep in mind how many math questions you had as you do them so you can save time just in case they are at the end. Finally pray and have faith in God!

Good luck to every one!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I just took the Naplex a few days ago and I am so excited to find out that I passed. The questions were all over the place. I have more questions on oncology sections but I was lucky enough to have read that section well and also listen to the video. I had about 15 questions left and time run out on me and I was so disappointed. Was so worried about those questions I didn’t get to finish but Thank God I passed. For those of you who are taking it soon just relax, make sure you pay attention to the allergy section: it seems like most cases have allergy to look out for. Both the first line tx and second line tx would be in the choice, if you don’t pay attention to the allergy, it’s easy to pick the wrong answers. Pay attention to the time!!!! It seems like most math questions are on the second half of the exam, try to keep in mind how many math questions you had as you do them so you can save time just in case they are at the end. Finally pray and have faith in God!

Good luck to every one!
Did you have many compounding questions? like from the new changes that were implemented for the naplex exam regarding sterile and non sterile compounding?

Did you have many compounding questions? like from the new changes that were implemented for the naplex exam regarding sterile and non sterile compounding?

Luckily not much of compounding questions on my exam, maybe 2 the most. I had a lot of statistic questions. There were a few question given scenario of research, they asked which test would be appropriate to use … or what it means if the study is within a certain confident interval l or how it relates to a type of error and things like that…and of course the calculations on stat section. I would definitely focus on statistic. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Good luck to every one!

Someone else responded to a forum thread I started saying how the cases are completely different. Could you explain your experience with the exam in terms of dealing with the patient cases?

I realize the 1st exam was basically testing only one concept with each question. I'm assuming that's different now?

Members don't see this ad :)
H

Good luck to every one!
Hi congratulations on passing the exam. I had a question. Do they ever ask doses of a particular drug? I hate memorizing the numbers and it's quite impossible to do esp for the vast antibiotics, anti fun gals and antiviral a.

H

Hi congratulations on passing the exam. I had a question. Do they ever ask doses of a particular drug? I hate memorizing the numbers and it's quite impossible to do esp for the vast antibiotics, anti fun gals and antiviral a.

I'd like to know too. I'm taking the NAPLEX next week and for the life of me I still can't get doses down, especially for antibiotics/fungals/virals. Thanks!

Good luck to every one!

Congratulations! I am sure you are extremely happy and excited. I would like to thank you for sharing your experience! It is encouraging and greatly appreciated!

H

I finally got the answer because I took the NAPLEX on Monday this week. They did ask a few questions on dosing for a particular drug.

I finally got the answer because I took the NAPLEX on Monday this week. They did ask a few questions on dosing for a particular drug.

Can you share more of how the exam was for you, how was the breakdown in terms of the disease states, calculations, statistics, and compounding. Also, how were the questions? Were they primarily select all that apply etc.?

Thank you

Can you share more of how the exam was for you, how was the breakdown in terms of the disease states, calculations, statistics, and compounding. Also, how were the questions? Were they primarily select all that apply etc.?

Thank you
The Naplex that I took tested me on everything in general. There was a lot of pharmaco economics questions like calculating ARR and NNT as well as analyzing data for statistical significance. Apart from this there were questions on TPN and calculations involving the same as well as calculations involving mEq, mOsm and mmoles.
The majority of case questions included cardiology, cancer, COPD, HIV and ABX. We can pinpoint how they were broken down because the calculations were mingled with the case questions.
They do provide the normal values of the various electrolytes, etc but do remember the formulas to calculate the BSA, IBW, Adj.BW

Good Luck with your Exams.

Thank you

The Naplex that I took tested me on everything in general. There was a lot of pharmaco economics questions like calculating ARR and NNT as well as analyzing data for statistical significance. Apart from this there were questions on TPN and calculations involving the same as well as calculations involving mEq, mOsm and mmoles.
The majority of case questions included cardiology, cancer, COPD, HIV and ABX. We can pinpoint how they were broken down because the calculations were mingled with the case questions.
They do provide the normal values of the various electrolytes, etc but do remember the formulas to calculate the BSA, IBW, Adj.BW

Good Luck with your Exams.

I completely agree with Kav2232 with what was tested. Specifically the dosing question I got was a mg/kg dosed drug. I got questions on HIV, hepatitis, osteoporosis, oncology (most of my polypharmacy cases and questions were on this), drug MOA (very few, I only got 3 questions), diabetes and hypertension (very few, like 10 questions total), women's health, compounding (terminology, procedures, about 5 questions), biostatistics (ARR, NNT, looking at data and selecting the right statement) and math is exactly what Kav2232 has mentioned (TPN, mEq, mOsm, mmoles) and drug references (ie patient friendly references).

For every question, I always read the questions first before I read the patient case and when I did read the cases I paid particular attention to allergies, current medications, labs and quick calculation of their CrCl. For CrCl, just remember when you need to use TBW vs IBW (if their overweight based on BMI) and AdjBW (if their TBW > 130% of their IBW).

Make sure to pace yourself, because it's easy to lose track of time. I got to the last 20 questions with only 15 minutes to spare, so I had to rush through them and most of it was actually math. The format I had was multiple choice , select all that applied (at least a good 40 to 45 questions), math was fill in (you had to type the actual number), click the area on the diagram and only 1 question that asked me to place the statements in order.

When I actually got to the exam, I actually thought we had 300 minutes (like it says on the website; 5 hours) to complete it. I was shock to find out it was actually only 4 hours and 15 minutes, so needless to say, I felt rushed from the get go. I hope the grey-out rumor is correct because I'm still anxiously waiting for my score. Good Luck!

I completely agree with Kav2232 with what was tested. Specifically the dosing question I got was a mg/kg dosed drug. I got questions on HIV, hepatitis, osteoporosis, oncology (most of my polypharmacy cases and questions were on this), drug MOA (very few, I only got 3 questions), diabetes and hypertension (very few, like 10 questions total), women's health, compounding (terminology, procedures, about 5 questions), biostatistics (ARR, NNT, looking at data and selecting the right statement) and math is exactly what Kav2232 has mentioned (TPN, mEq, mOsm, mmoles) and drug references (ie patient friendly references).

For every question, I always read the questions first before I read the patient case and when I did read the cases I paid particular attention to allergies, current medications, labs and quick calculation of their CrCl. For CrCl, just remember when you need to use TBW vs IBW (if their overweight based on BMI) and AdjBW (if their TBW > 130% of their IBW).

Make sure to pace yourself, because it's easy to lose track of time. I got to the last 20 questions with only 15 minutes to spare, so I had to rush through them and most of it was actually math. The format I had was multiple choice , select all that applied (at least a good 40 to 45 questions), math was fill in (you had to type the actual number), click the area on the diagram and only 1 question that asked me to place the statements in order.

When I actually got to the exam, I actually thought we had 300 minutes (like it says on the website; 5 hours) to complete it. I was shock to find out it was actually only 4 hours and 15 minutes, so needless to say, I felt rushed from the get go. I hope the grey-out rumor is correct because I'm still anxiously waiting for my score. Good Luck!

What do you mean by the grey-out rumor? Thanks!

What do you mean by the grey-out rumor? Thanks!

I'm referring to a thread I read when I was searching for tips on the NAPLEX (see below).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-my-chance-of-passing-the-naplex.1019722/

The rumor states that after the NAPLEX, if:

1. The status of your exam is closed and the registration button for the NAPLEX goes from being greyed out/closed to being orange/open. That means you've passed the NAPLEX.

2. The status of your exam is closed and the registration remains greyed out/close, then you failed the exam.

Keep in mind, this is just a rumor, but some people on SDN believe this to be true. For me, my registration button was greyed out until 3 days after the exam when it became orange/opened again. I still haven't received my score yet and it's been a week since I took the exam, so I'm really anxious to find out soon if I passed.

I'm referring to a thread I read when I was searching for tips on the NAPLEX (see below).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-my-chance-of-passing-the-naplex.1019722/

The rumor states that after the NAPLEX, if:

1. The status of your exam is closed and the registration button for the NAPLEX goes from being greyed out/closed to being orange/open. That means you've passed the NAPLEX.

2. The status of your exam is closed and the registration remains greyed out/close, then you failed the exam.

Keep in mind, this is just a rumor, but some people on SDN believe this to be true. For me, my registration button was greyed out until 3 days after the exam when it became orange/opened again. I still haven't received my score yet and it's been a week since I took the exam, so I'm really anxious to find out soon if I passed.

So was this theory true for you?

So was this theory true for you?

No unfortunately it was not. I missed the mark by 1 point (got 74 on the NAPLEX). Really bummed out right now because of it. I know where I went wrong though and where to focus my efforts, so I'm changing my studying habits a bit until I can take it again in 2 and 1/2 months.

I am so happy for your success.
Can you tell us what material you used.
I have failed twice 72 and 73 both times I studied Rxprep 2014 with 2015 lectures and Q banks, where it looks like it is working for everybody, it doesn't like that for me..
Any good source to study statistics??

No unfortunately it was not. I missed the mark by 1 point (got 74 on the NAPLEX). Really bummed out right now because of it. I know where I went wrong though and where to focus my efforts, so I'm changing my studying habits a bit until I can take it again in 2 and 1/2 months.
Wish you the best for next time.. The good think is that you know your weakness, unfortunately I don't