narcotic seeking behavior in the elderly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone else noticed a spike in old folks exhibiting narc seeking behavior? i broke my previous record today with an 80 yo guy. wow. just wondering if it is my neck of the woods or others are seeing a fair bit of this too.
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen several elderly LBP frequent flyers that like to come in around 2 am because the pain is preventing them from sleeping.

I've worked in a jail for 13 years now, and in my experience, the really hardcore drug users either get clean, or die in their late 40s/early 50s. Right now I have a couple of pts on methadone in their early 60s, and judging from their admission drug screen, they've backed 'way off from their previous drug use.

IMV, elderly drug seekers are more likely to be cases of pseudoaddiction on account of actual pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Latest I've ever seen with a real addiction was in their late 60's, and with confirmation from the pt's daughters.

I think some elderly who seek narcotics sell them.

+1
Seen it. Others have pain later in life and then become addicted. I agree that there are more elderly than one would think.

I've seen elderly patients being used by younger relatives to drug seek.

Amen. Usually they're scoring it for some younger relative they're trying to "help" or selling it to pay rent, make ends meet, or whatever. There certainly are elderly addicts, but usually by old age (70-80+) their addictions have either "weeded them out", ie, killed them, or they've wised up. It's for the same reason that you don't see many elderly sky divers, or.........ER doctors:)

I think some elderly who seek narcotics sell them.

Yup. Comprehensive drug coverage for > 65 + Oxycontin going for $1/mg = seniors financing their trip to Florida (one of my actual pts, who showed up to get her "vacation supply" of Oxycontin with her "driver," a huge biker dude).

I've seen elderly patients being used by younger relatives to drug seek.

We've had a few guys tell their elderly mum + incipient dementia that if they don't get their drugs, the WD will kill them.

"Some hospitals open ERs just for graying patients"

AP -- Mon Mar 14, 9:40 pm EDT

Washington – Many hospitals run emergency rooms just for children. Now a few are opening ERs specially designed for seniors, without all the confusion and with a little more comfort.

It's a fledgling trend, but expected to increase as the population rapidly grays. The question is whether they'll truly improve care.

"Older people are not just wrinkly adults. They have totally different needs," says Dr. David John, who chairs the geriatric medicine division of the American College of Emergency Physicians.

Modern ERs are best equipped to handle crises like gunshot wounds or car crashes, not the lengthy detective work it can take to unravel the multiple ailments that older people tend to show up with, John says.

Those older patients may not even have the same symptoms as younger people. They're less likely to report chest pain with a heart attack, for instance, complaining instead of vague symptoms such as dizziness or nausea. Urinary tract infections sometimes cause enough confusion to be mistaken for dementia.

And a study published in January called delirium and dementia an "invisible hazard" for many older patients because ers don't routinely check for not-too-obvious cognitive problems — yet such patients can't accurately describe their symptoms or understand what they're supposed to do at home.

Seniors already make 17 million ER visits a year, and 1 in 5 Americans will be 65 or older by 2030.

St. Joseph's regional medical center in Paterson, N.J., started a 14-bed senior emergency center two years ago, and plans to open a larger one in the fall, said emergency medicine chairman Dr. Mark Rosenberg.

continues...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110315...VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNzb21laG9zcGl0YWw-