NAU DPT 2020-2021 Application Cycle: Stats, News, and Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseDPT

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am applying to NAU's DPT program for a 2021 start and thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could share our stats, any news about interview invitations, and updates later on about getting accepted, waitlisted, etc. Please share your stats below as well as anything else about the program. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

My Stats:
Undergrad University - Northern Arizona University
Major - Exercise Science, Minor - Psychology
Cumulative GPA - 3.96
Prerequisite GPA - 3.92
GRE
Verbal - 160
Quantitative - 154
Analytical Writing - 4.5

I feel like my biggest weakness is not having been able to complete observation hours due to the pandemic this year. Every PT clinic that I approached said that they had discontinued any possibility of observing this year in order to limit the number of people in their clinics to only essential workers and patients. Anyone else have this problem, as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am also applying this cycle. Is this your first time applying? If not when did you hear from NAU in regards to interviews?

Hey! I am also applying this cycle. Is this your first time applying? If not when did you hear from NAU in regards to interviews?

Hi! It is my first time applying. From what I can tell, we should hear about interviews towards the end of October or beginning of November. I believe interviews this year are supposed to be held on Nov. 21st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Your stats are great! Can you keep us updated here if you hear anything?

hello everyone! I’m applying this term as well! Best of luck to everyone and hopefully I can meet you guys too!

Undergrad: California State University, Fullerton

GRE 154 V 159 Q 4.5 AWA

Observation Hours: 950+ (outpatient clinics, acute rehab inpatient, home health)

GPA: 3.80 overall 3.9 (hopefully) prerequisite
BS Kinesiology

Experience: tennis club team, community service groups, hospital volunteer, Boy Scouts advisor

LOR: 2 PTs 1 exercise physiology professor

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I'm applying to NAU this cycle as well!

Did anyone receive a confirmation e-mail for your application from NAU? I received one from the graduate college but nothing directly from the DPT program, unlike several other schools (Utah, Colorado, etc). Starting to get concerned now that it has been a few weeks.

Best of luck to you guys!

Hey everyone, I'm applying to NAU this cycle as well!

Did anyone receive a confirmation e-mail for your application from NAU? I received one from the graduate college but nothing directly from the DPT program, unlike several other schools (Utah, Colorado, etc). Starting to get concerned now that it has been a few weeks.

Best of luck to you guys!
I did receive an email from the DPT Admissions committee stating they would now begin to review my application.

Hi everyone!

Undergrad - University of Arizona
Major - Nursing, Minor - Mathematics
Cumulative GPA - 3.83, Prereq GPA - 4.0
GRE: 156 Q, 157 V, 6 AWA
LOR: 2 PTs, 2 Nursing profs, 1 Charge Nurse Lead
Observation hours: ~150 (sports/outpatient, in/outpatient peds, women's health)

Good luck everyone! Hope to meet you guys soon!

Did anyone else get the email about virtual interviews for December?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome anyone know what asynchronous would look like? That part kinda confused me.
That part I'm not quite sure about. I don't know if it means that everyone will just have their own individual dates and times, or if we will just be recording our answers to interview questions to send in? Should be interesting to see what it's like. 2020 definitely keeps throwing curve balls!

So are we just answering questions online? No zoom interview or anything?
I received an interview invitation as well! Yeah it sounds like we're just going to use that third party service to record our answers and send them in, no live Zoom meeting or anything.

Hello! I received an invitation as well. I think they will be recorded answers in video format from what the platform looks like. Good luck to all!

Awesome anyone know what asynchronous would look like? That part kinda confused me.
I think it just means you get to read a pre-recorded question and then record your answer in real time for the committee to watch and review later. But I'm not entirely sure :/

I did an interview with NAU on Saturday! It is a little different since it is online. I won't share any details obviously, but I would just say be yourself! Also you only get one attempt so make it count! I a really hoping I get in. NAU is my first choice for sure, been an AZ resident my whole life!

Sooo.... anyone else rewatching the recordings of your interview a bunch of times and noting all of the things you could’ve said better/more eloquently?? 😂 I hate the this period when there’s nothing left to do but wait for the admissions decisions!

Has anyone heard back from NAU yet? Also, did anyone else get an email about doing a background check for some of the schools you applied to? I got one this week, and was not sure if NAU was one of those schools or not. Hopefully not, since it cost like $80 just to do the background check, and I don't want to do it, unless NAU requires it before offering acceptance.

Has anyone heard back from NAU yet? Also, did anyone else get an email about doing a background check for some of the schools you applied to? I got one this week, and was not sure if NAU was one of those schools or not. Hopefully not, since it cost like $80 just to do the background check, and I don't want to do it, unless NAU requires it before offering acceptance.
Hello! I attended one of the virtual meet-and-greet sessions and they said that the committee will be turning in their choices tomorrow (1/11) so applicants can expect to hear back within the next two weeks. Regarding the background check, I only applied to NAU and did not receive any emails about that. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome thanks. Everyone should post when they hear back! Getting nervous!!

I received my email today too. I’ll be attending the Phoenix campus! Good luck everyone!

I'm #15 on the waitlist, anyone know what their movement has been like in the past? Congrats to everyone that got accepted!! I'm out of state so was honestly expecting worse for myself lol, but keeping my fingers crossed!

I am on the waitlist as well. Took this as an answer though, and will be attending the University of Utah! Good luck to you all!

Congratulations to everyone that's been accepted! Very excited for you guys.
I'm 109th on the waitlist so unlikely that I'll get in this time :cryi:

Congratulations to everyone that's been accepted! Very excited for you guys.
I'm 109th on the waitlist so unlikely that I'll get in this time :cryi:
Last year they said they let people on the waitlist know up until the week before classes started!! Fingers crossed for you!

I'm #15 on the waitlist, anyone know what their movement has been like in the past? Congrats to everyone that got accepted!! I'm out of state so was honestly expecting worse for myself lol, but keeping my fingers crossed!
Deadline for acceptance is Feb. 26 so I think there's still a lot of time for people to be notified on the waitlist of open positions. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Last year they said they let people on the waitlist know up until the week before classes started!! Fingers crossed for you!
Thank you!! I think my biggest weakness is not having the observation hours. I was working full time trying to support myself through my first couple years of college (I started going back to school again at 22 years old after deciding to change my career) and was planning on getting them done this past year over the spring/summer, but then COVID happened and I couldn't get into any clinics. I'm married now and all of my family is in AZ so I'm really looking to stay in the area for school/my career, and I'm determined to apply again after hopefully getting some observation hours done this summer if things get better with COVID with the vaccine.

Just got my acceptance and I was 3rd on the waitlist!

Hi everyone! I was 20th on the waitlist (now 10th since they have gone through 10 alternates)! I really hope I get in! Does anybody know how many alternates NAU goes through every year??

Hi everyone! I was 20th on the waitlist (now 10th since they have gone through 10 alternates)! I really hope I get in! Does anybody know how many alternates NAU goes through every year??
Congratulations on moving up! I read on last year's thread that they made it through a TON of the people on the waitlist. I think a lot more people will be notified after the final response date Feb. 26.

For anyone who got accepted, do you guys think it will be 100% in-person this fall? Or do you think it will be hybrid?

Hello my name is Makali Gomez and I received my acceptance for the Phx Biomedical campus at NAU in Jan! NAU was my top choice so my decision was very easy! So excited to meet everyone in the fall!

I just received my acceptance! I was 20th on the waitlist! I’m so excited to meet everybody!