Navy HPSP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbrook21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been getting a lot of mixed information from my recruiter. Any one know when packets are due for Navy Optometry HPSP scholarships this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been getting a lot of mixed information from my recruiter. Any one know when packets are due for Navy Optometry HPSP scholarships this year?

There are several boards that meet throughout the year. Basically get it all in as fast as you can! My application was finished on Dec 1st for January boards, still haven't heard back...

Can you please let me know how do you apply for Navy, Army and Airforce optometry scholarships?

Contact your local medical recruiter. I recommend going in and meeting with him/her in person, don't just call or email!

I got my packet submitted in time for a Navy November 2015 board meeting but I haven't heard anything since. I don't think the board's even met yet for the first time, and my recruiter doesn't know when they will meet, so she tells me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My recruiter has been telling me the same thing. The medical recruiter is expecting the board to meet in either March or April (which I was originally told would be January or February...). My packet has been on the director's desk since November without any change in status since. A glimmer of hope: my buddy just got HPSP for dental yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
HPSP for optometry fluctuates around retention of previous HPSP recipients.
Those who got the scholarship 3/4 years ago & are coming up on their original enlistment this summer are deciding whether to re-up or not.
Some wait to see where their next assignment will be. Other are checking out civilian jobs. Many wait until the last minute to declare.
Only once they're locked into leaving the service, does the board know how many O-3 (entry level) positions they need to fill.

So do you know what the deadline is for declaring? April-ish?
There really isn't one.
Each military OD has an ETS date (Expiration-Term of Service) based on when they started active duty.
Each branch tries to determine what their needs will be prior to new grads finishing school, but there's variation in the actual ETS date & no one declares they're leaving until they get something lined up in the civilian world.

Wonderful!!! Best decision you ever made!