Navy HPSP and Air Force HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushiqueen_01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was selected for the HPSP scholarship and wanted to know if anyone currently going through commitment could say their experience. I am between 2 branches and do not know which to pick. Both seem good

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, you are required to do PGY-1 in the Air Force.

For the navy, you are required to apply but you do not have to accept.

i didn’t do a PGY-1; I still got decent experience in endo and oral surgery while my experience pros and Perio was zero.

For the Navy, you can be on a MEU/Ship/Navy construction Battalion/hardship tour in Africa/Middle East

I don’t know what being operational looks like in the Air Force. I just know you’ll be on land with phone service most of the time; the navy you won’t.

Can’t go wrong with either. I am doing the navy and would take it every time. The experiences I’ve had, the things and places I’ve gotten to do and see, are amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a tough one. The Navy definitely have better locations but like the above poster said, you have a decent chance of going on a ship/being stationed with the Marines during your operational tours for 2 years as a junior LT.

I have friends in the AF who wishes he was in the Navy and vice versa. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Air Force and it’s not even close. While the Army sucks the most, surprisingly the senior leadership in the Navy appears almost as toxic. Navy has some decent locations but you have a high likelihood of being stuck on a ship and that would suck badly. I’ve had buddies who have had amazing experiences in the Navy in Japan and other bases but a long stint on a ship would completely nullify that, especially if you have/want a family by then.

Reactions: 2 users
Air Force and it’s not even close. While the Army sucks the most, surprisingly the senior leadership in the Navy appears almost as toxic. Navy has some decent locations but you have a high likelihood of being stuck on a ship and that would suck badly. I’ve had buddies who have had amazing experiences in the Navy in Japan and other bases but a long stint on a ship would completely nullify that, especially if you have/want a family by then.
I think this is subjective. I have met people who would rather be on a ship as long as they get to stay in certain parts of the US and that way their spouses can continue to work. Also, you could be assigned to a ship that’s just returned from deployment/undergoing maintenance and it’ll be docked for your entire 2-year orders.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, you could be assigned to a ship that’s just returned from deployment/undergoing maintenance and it’ll be docked for your entire 2-year orders.

I agree it’s subjective, but I’m going to hazard that this concept of a ship being docked for 2 years is probably not super likely with the current world climate/political discord between the world super powers.
Granted, I’m not in the Navy and know nothing of ships, but on the AF side things are only picking up.

That said, both are good, have friends in both and am personally in the AF. I’ve really enjoyed the training and the experience I have and got in my AEGD (I feel like I can do everything short of all on X cases competently) and the AF life for dentists is absolutely chill and easy IMO.

I agree it’s subjective, but I’m going to hazard that this concept of a ship being docked for 2 years is probably not super likely with the current world climate/political discord between the world super powers.
Granted, I’m not in the Navy and know nothing of ships, but on the AF side things are only picking up.

That said, both are good, have friends in both and am personally in the AF. I’ve really enjoyed the training and the experience I have and got in my AEGD (I feel like I can do everything short of all on X cases competently) and the AF life for dentists is absolutely chill and easy IMO.

The beauty of the Navy is that we are also responsible for the Marines which provides us with more variety of duty stations. I have been in almost 6 years now and have yet to see anyone who was forced to be on a ship when he/she absolutely does not want to and is open to being stationed with the Marines (overseas or in the US) or undesirable locations in the middle east, Africa, etc. So when people say "you're definitely gonna go on a ship in the Navy" this is not necessarily true. Yes, you could get picked to go with the MEU while with the Marines but they go in and out of a ship and rarely stay in one for longer than 1-2 months(mostly a couple of weeks). Also, only one dentist gets picked out of 20-30 in each battalion and we normally have one or two hard charging junior LTs who volunteers for the position.

I have met a ton of general dentists (O4-O5) who have never stepped a foot on a ship and those who have never been overseas/be with the Marines. We really have a good mix of people who fill these different types of billets.

The beauty of the Navy is that we are also responsible for the Marines which provides us with more variety of duty stations. I have been in almost 6 years now and have yet to see anyone who was forced to be on a ship when he/she absolutely does not want to and is open to being stationed with the Marines (overseas or in the US) or undesirable locations in the middle east, Africa, etc. So when people say "you're definitely gonna go on a ship in the Navy" this is not necessarily true. Yes, you could get picked to go with the MEU while with the Marines but they go in and out of a ship and rarely stay in one for longer than 1-2 months(mostly a couple of weeks). Also, only one dentist gets picked out of 20-30 in each battalion and we normally have one or two hard charging junior LTs who volunteers for the position.

I have met a ton of general dentists (O4-O5) who have never stepped a foot on a ship and those who have never been overseas/be with the Marines. We really have a good mix of people who fill these different types of billets.
Hi, may I ask if you've been on a ship? I know this is weird but I applied for the Navy because I want to do Navy things like being on a ship.

Also can you give some insights on your service with the Navy, the good and the bad, so far?

Last question: Does the Navy pay you enough to buy an LFA? :)

Thank you for your service and for your wisdom!

whats your opinion on AF AEGD-2? is it overkill?

Hi, may I ask if you've been on a ship? I know this is weird but I applied for the Navy because I want to do Navy things like being on a ship.

Also can you give some insights on your service with the Navy, the good and the bad, so far?

Last question: Does the Navy pay you enough to buy an LFA? :)

Thank you for your service and for your wisdom!
Definitely not enough. Since there are only 500 made, they will be asking more than new since it is a collectible. If you can get your hands on one with an intact chassis, it may fetch much more when you try to sell it.
whats your opinion on AF AEGD-2? is it overkill?
If the AEGD-2 residency is in Lackland AFB, or any large base with mult-specialty residencies, most likely you will be doing amalgam crowns. The OS will get your extractions, Endo will get your RCTs, Perio will get your implants, Prosth, etc. You will do a lot of sedations. If there are residencies in a more remote base (Biloxi closed their residency before my time), you may do more of those procedures.

If the AEGD-2 residency is in Lackland AFB, or any large base with mult-specialty residencies, most likely you will be doing amalgam crowns. The OS will get your extractions, Endo will get your RCTs, Perio will get your implants, Prosth, etc. You will do a lot of sedations. If there are residencies in a more remote base (Biloxi closed their residency before my time), you may do more of those procedures.

Let me clarify a few things:

AF no longer teaches amalgam crowns at any base/training program. Everything is CAD/CAM now for same-day tx.
In addition, you have a dedicated day a week for each other speciality. Endo cases are where as quick as you work is what you get(so 2-4 a day, depending on you, apicos too), prosth is at least a day a week where you do your own cases, and perio is surgical management and implant cases. You rotate through OS where you do ext for weeks at a time, total of 15 weeks where you do implants and surgical ext. basic ext you do in your regular operatory.

Basically, you get a really good spread of all the specialities. The 1 year does too, just less (7 weeks of OS).

Source: staff dentist at my current base just graduated this past summer from Lackland AEGD-2.

Reactions: 2 users
Let me clarify a few things:

AF no longer teaches amalgam crowns at any base/training program. Everything is CAD/CAM now for same-day tx.
In addition, you have a dedicated day a week for each other speciality. Endo cases are where as quick as you work is what you get(so 2-4 a day, depending on you, apicos too), prosth is at least a day a week where you do your own cases, and perio is surgical management and implant cases. You rotate through OS where you do ext for weeks at a time, total of 15 weeks where you do implants and surgical ext. basic ext you do in your regular operatory.

Basically, you get a really good spread of all the specialities. The 1 year does too, just less (7 weeks of OS).

Source: staff dentist at my current base just graduated this past summer from Lackland AEGD-2.
Sorry, I should have taken modernization into acct. It wasn't that way when I was in. We had an AEGD-2 from Lackland and he was not very proficient with the other specialties and basically questionable. We also had one from Biloxi and he could do everything and I know it varies with the individual. There were many accts that procedures were being rationed to the relevant specialties. We didn't have CAD/CAM back then. Does the AF still have Dental Evaluation & Consultation service formerly DIS (Dental Investigation Service)?

Sorry, I should have taken modernization into acct. It wasn't that way when I was in. We had an AEGD-2 from Lackland and he was not very proficient with the other specialties and basically questionable. We also had one from Biloxi and he could do everything and I know it varies with the individual. There were many accts that procedures were being rationed to the relevant specialties. We didn't have CAD/CAM back then. Does the AF still have Dental Evaluation & Consultation service formerly DIS (Dental Investigation Service)?

It’s all good! Some of the changes (no cuspal coverage amalgams) are new within the last four years. Thats why I wanted to give a newer picture.

I’m not aware of a specific DEC service. Each specialty has a consultant for their given field, and there are a bunch of other systems and groups now that DHA runs the show.
What was the purpose for the Dental Eval and Consult service specifically?

When I was in the AF many years ago (ashamed to say when due to my ignorance and obsolete knowledge), there was a Dental Investigation Service now called I believe DECS. I'm not sure all the details and the organization within the USAF seemed so covert (I don't know why). It researches everything dental and many of their information appeared in Reality Ratings & Reviews. I attended an Operative mini course in Lackland and within those couple of weeks, I learned more than in 4 yrs of school including flapping a retained root or similar, placing a rubber dam & clamp stabilized with green stick compound....my endodontist mentor (retired Army) at my DMO was impressed. It was at that time we were taught amalgam cuspal coverage. It was a priority we get troops ready to deploy. I remembered my supervisor sternly warning me not to finish a single canal RCT #20 (not bifurcated) in 1 visit and to put in Ca(OH)2 for a few weeks. I don't think that is taught anymore (not done in practice) and because of the temp procedure, that pt cannot deploy. We sometimes have to bump pts off the schedule to finish those that will deploy.

It’s only worth it if you’re sure you’re going to stay in. Even then, personally I am planning on staying in and I am not planning on doing it.
If you’re going to stay in and stay a GP, you might as well do it to get the specialty pay and board certification pay.

Big Hoss