Navy HPSP Decisions: GMO Specifics, Residency Timeline Options, Army instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rbr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I know this topic is beaten to death on SDN, but I was accepted into a good state MD (allopathic) medical school. I am considering the HPSP scholarship with the Navy. I understand that financial motives alone are not sufficient enough to make it a logical choice, and the opportunity and desire to serve comes first. That is a decision I will have to make personally, but in the mean time I would like to hear some more info of from personal experiences or knowledge on some other topics concerning the decision:

A) GMO Specifics--> I understand that GMO tours are a reality if I am not selected for a residency straight through, that being said would anyone outlining some of the GMO opportunities (pros/cons/description of duty) whether that be Dive Officer, Flight Surgeon, GMO etc.

B) Residency Timeline options--> If one does not get selected for straight through residency, what are the odds of getting amore competitive residency (ex. ortho) after their GMO billet, primary care billet of their choice, and location of their choice?
Also, in the case of being a GMO and doing 4 straight years to limit time in service (4 years to pay back on commitment) how hard is it to apply and be selected for a civilian residency as a PGY2? Does the military service on your CV and experiences aid you in applying for competitive residency (ex. ortho, anest, surgery, etc)?

C)Army--> I may have the opportunity to apply for the ARMY HPSP if they begin to accept GPA waiver if they do not hit their numbers, I understand they do not do GMO tours (mandatory), are the odds of doing something competitive better in the Army or Navy? What route should you go ????

Thanks for any and all responses.

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to C, everyone I've talked to that's HPSP has said that the Navy is the worst deal (except 1 or 2 Navy people, of course). Mostly because of the GMO and the possibility of getting stuck on a boat. I've also been told it depends on the year and what specialty you're shooting for in terms of whether it'll be difficult to match that year, but others will have better info than I would. That being said, I applied HPSP going into med school and ended up not finishing the process after speaking to a few military physicians. Have no regrets about not taking it as of now.

Reactions: 1 user
You should also think about what specialty you are interested in (though very difficult this early on I know). It could be that the Navy/Army/Air Force has none or very few spots available in your desired specialty. In that case you'd need a deferment for civilian residency and there are no guarantees for that. It all comes down to the needs of the service and it's difficult to predict 4 years out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost joined HPSP b/c my friend was in the airforce HPSP, I wasn't accepted but after seeing what happened at the end of the run (ended up not matching into gen sure through the residency and I think was pulled into the military TRI to GMO/Flight Surgeon and reapplying after) I am in many ways glad I didn't pursue the path because that risk wasn't for me. I did not realize that there was no guarantee for deferment civilian (ACGME/AOA) residency.

I am not so sure how it affects ones ability to land a competitive residency after duty. But I'm sure it'd doable to land something.

Hello All,

I know this topic is beaten to death on SDN, but I was accepted into a good state MD (allopathic) medical school. I am considering the HPSP scholarship with the Navy. I understand that financial motives alone are not sufficient enough to make it a logical choice, and the opportunity and desire to serve comes first. That is a decision I will have to make personally, but in the mean time I would like to hear some more info of from personal experiences or knowledge on some other topics concerning the decision:

A) GMO Specifics--> I understand that GMO tours are a reality if I am not selected for a residency straight through, that being said would anyone outlining some of the GMO opportunities (pros/cons/description of duty) whether that be Dive Officer, Flight Surgeon, GMO etc.

B) Residency Timeline options--> If one does not get selected for straight through residency, what are the odds of getting amore competitive residency (ex. ortho) after their GMO billet, primary care billet of their choice, and location of their choice?
Also, in the case of being a GMO and doing 4 straight years to limit time in service (4 years to pay back on commitment) how hard is it to apply and be selected for a civilian residency as a PGY2? Does the military service on your CV and experiences aid you in applying for competitive residency (ex. ortho, anest, surgery, etc)?

C)Army--> I may have the opportunity to apply for the ARMY HPSP if they begin to accept GPA waiver if they do not hit their numbers, I understand they do not do GMO tours (mandatory), are the odds of doing something competitive better in the Army or Navy? What route should you go ????

Thanks for any and all responses.

You can still get pulled for a Flight Surgeon tour in the Army after intern year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile