Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brjenkins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying for the Navy HPSP scholarship and I was wondering if anyone could give me an insight as to what my chances might be. I am applying after coming out of a Post-Bacc program where I had a 3.5 GPA and have a conditional letter of acceptance so I have to wait until April Board to have my kit sent up to the selection committee. My recruiter thinks I have a good chance but was just hoping to get an outside opinion since my kit won't hit the selection committee at such a late time.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am applying for the Navy HPSP scholarship and I was wondering if anyone could give me an insight as to what my chances might be. I am applying after coming out of a Post-Bacc program where I had a 3.5 GPA and have a conditional letter of acceptance so I have to wait until April Board to have my kit sent up to the selection committee. My recruiter thinks I have a good chance but was just hoping to get an outside opinion since my kit won't hit the selection committee at such a late time.

Thanks

I was once looking into the HPSP but ultimately decided against it. It is to my understanding that as long as you get into medical school, you will be rewarded with HPSP scholarship as long as you fill in the paperwork in time. The military can use all the doctors they can get. If you follow through with it, thank you for your service.

More information can be found in military medicine forum, as well as more responses. You should post in there.

Army HPSP here. Biggest factor is a medical school acceptance in hand. Beyond that, basic qualifications like health, background and eligibility for a security clearance. They can and will sometimes receive more applicants than spots and will look for whatever it is they look for. Feel free to ask any other questions about HPSP in general and check out they military forum as the good tealeafexplorer advised

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Thanks
Hey there Brjenkins

So I am currently waiting to hear back from BUMED regarding my kit. I am 503, 3.65 gpa and am accepted to RVUCOM in Denver. I heard from my recruiter approx three weeks ago that the Navy had 105 spots filled for HPSP medical, and they have a quota of 195 for the current fiscal year. So if you're accepted, I assume right now as long as you have no medical issues that you still have a pretty good shot if you made it in time for the April board

Navy HPSP recipient here: You don't need to have a letter of acceptance to apply for the scholarship. I applied back in October and was told that I was "chosen" in November. So basically I've been awarded the scholarship, they just can't complete the processing until I have a LOA. I can even defer the scholarship for 1 year if I don't get accepted into a school this cycle.

My advice: If this is what you want to do, apply as soon as possible and finish all the paperwork! I am already in the military so some parts were easier than others, but it's a brutal process all around. They hold a board monthly so you'll find out pretty quickly.

In terms of your chances, your GPA seems fine (don't know how it compares to your undergrad) but they told me the MCAT is what's most important. You need to have a score that's above 500.

Hope that helps, PM me if you have more questions.

Following up on the number of spots left, my recruiter told me this week they granted a large number of scholarships and there are currently 30 or so slots left. Take this with a grain of salt but even if you do not get a 4 year, you can still get a three year which includes: 4 years tuition + 3 years of stipend instead of 4.

Hello,

Thanks

I’ll think you’ll be fine. I just declined Army HPSP and like 2 hours later got emails from the Air Force and Navy. With a larger military budget coming down I bet once you have a sure thing acceptance in hand you’ll be good.

I just finished my background screening so can anyone tell me what’s next? I’m assuming it’s the physical and then the interviews. Can anyone who’s been accepted to HPSP, or working on it, clarify this?

I just finished my background screening so can anyone tell me what’s next? I’m assuming it’s the physical and then the interviews. Can anyone who’s been accepted to HPSP, or working on it, clarify this?

From my understanding there's no official sequence. Do you have the overall scholarship checklist form? If so, I'd just start doing everything you can on your own and sending it to your recruiter as you go. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding there's no official sequence. Do you have the overall scholarship checklist form? If so, I'd just start doing everything you can on your own and sending it to your recruiter as you go. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
I don’t have the actual checklist, and I’m working with a recruiter several states away because there is no MT based HPSP recruiter. I believe I have everything else in to the best of my knowledge, but if you happen to have the check list available can you pm me?

Navy HPSP recipient here: You don't need to have a letter of acceptance to apply for the scholarship. I applied back in October and was told that I was "chosen" in November. So basically I've been awarded the scholarship, they just can't complete the processing until I have a LOA. I can even defer the scholarship for 1 year if I don't get accepted into a school this cycle.

My advice: If this is what you want to do, apply as soon as possible and finish all the paperwork! I am already in the military so some parts were easier than others, but it's a brutal process all around. They hold a board monthly so you'll find out pretty quickly.

In terms of your chances, your GPA seems fine (don't know how it compares to your undergrad) but they told me the MCAT is what's most important. You need to have a score that's above 500.

Hope that helps, PM me if you have more questions.

I should have everything in by the end of the month pending my LORs get in on time (I have 3 more left and I told them to try and have them done by the end of the month, but you never know). But thank you for the information. I just talked to my recruiter yesterday and he sounded like my chance were pretty good so that's a positive

Following up on the number of spots left, my recruiter told me this week they granted a large number of scholarships and there are currently 30 or so slots left. Take this with a grain of salt but even if you do not get a 4 year, you can still get a three year which includes: 4 years tuition + 3 years of stipend instead of 4.

I think that's what I'll probably do if I don't get selected this year. Despite what people say about military med, it is definitely something I want to do.

Make sure you are in height/weight standards. Any major medical issue will be a delay and must require a waiver. Asthma, adhd, mental health, eye health etc. congratulations! The military needs more good Osteopathic physicians, so study hard!