Navy Navy Operational Medicine Wiki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flightdoc09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright y'all. After some beta testing, development help, and content creators assisting for the past year, the Navy Operational Medicine Wiki is pretty much ready to go. In fact we just had over 100 new GMOs, and FS/UMO candidates, hitting the fleet sign up.

The basic premise behind the site is that we, as GMOs, flight surgeons, UMOs, PAs, IDCs, etc., are thrust into an admin role that we did not prepare for during internship. Sometimes we're lucky to be in clinics with lots of experienced providers to help ease our transition, sometimes not.

Whether it's learning what a Pre-Deployment Assessment is, a separation physical, or just having a one stop shop for every important physical exam form, chit, military website (PHA, DHA, MRRS, etc), and instructions for all, this wiki will help you out. Or do you just need a DD1289 (DoD Rx Pad), we got you. Study guides for FMF or SWMDO. What to do if a sailor/marine in your care passes away. Light Duty and LIMDU for dummies. We got you.

Additionally, and especially right now, having a single easy to use reference for your local base/MTF that isn't behind a CAC wall is something that this site can serve as. Check out Camp Pendleton's - Camp Pendleton. It has lists of MTF duty numbers, counseling resources on base, and a periodically updated policies and procedures for COVID testing and admitting Marines to the isolation barracks. Not all clinics have reference pages though, it's up to you and your colleagues to add it and contribute to it, just like Wikipedia.

To sign up, just go to Request account - Know Your Chit and input your information, along with some reference to your affiliation to military medicine. You'll get a confirmation email that you need to open and verify your email.

As of this moment, the site is not blocked on most blue side or green side networks. However the new site url navyopmed.com is blocked on green side. Still working on getting that fixed.

Please feel free to post questions, suggestions, or PM me as needed. Other services and veterans welcome to join. Might be handy if you work at a joint base, or something you could try with your services. Just please ensure you indicate your affiliation with military medicine when filling out the request.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Can I request access to this wiki as a civilian considering applying for Navy HPSP? Or is this for military only?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I request access to this wiki as a civilian considering applying for Navy HPSP? Or is this for military only?
I appreciate your interest. However nothing on the site will make any sense to you. And there are also some phone numbers, contact information, and such that we'd like to keep sheltered.

This site helped me out a bunch this weekend. Was able to find the relevant instruction and forms to deal with something stupid a junior enlisted did. I had the forms on my sharedrive, but I was over an hour away from work and did not want to come in. Only ended up being 1 hour of work instead of 3-4 with the drive. Tired of getting my time off ruined.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Med students and undergrads - I appreciate your interest in the Wiki, but please stop being weird and requesting access. If you still want access at the end of 4th year or when you're starting intern year, let me know. Otherwise, most of the knowledge on the site won't apply to you till you're a GMO/FS/UMO/SMO. So chill out.

Also added a section on MHS Genesis, for those that will have to endure through the transition soon. It by no means replaces the online/in person training (which was honestly kind of useless), but it will help you with little tricks to smooth out the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It by no means replaces the online/in person training (which was honestly kind of useless), but it will help you with little tricks to smooth out the process.

I have been trained on 8 or 9 different EMRs over my career and 95%+ of the official training was worthless. :lol:

I have been trained on 8 or 9 different EMRs over my career and 95%+ of the official training was worthless. :lol:
I eventually started lying and telling credentials "Oh yeah I've used this EMR before I'm totally familiar with it" to get the training waived.

Anyone born after 1970 who knows what a mouse does can click their way through these thing without formal instruction.

Also added a section on MHS Genesis, for those that will have to endure through the transition soon. It by no means replaces the online/in person training (which was honestly kind of useless), but it will help you with little tricks to smooth out the process.

Yeah pretty sure your section on MHS genesis will beat any training offered.

The only thing I remember the genesis instructors saying was “it didn’t work?....oh, well don’t worry....it will work in the live system.” Easiest cop-out for them to not have to figure something out that their little manual couldn’t explain and they didn’t know.

Yeah pretty sure your section on MHS genesis will beat any training offered.

The only thing I remember the genesis instructors saying was “it didn’t work?....oh, well don’t worry....it will work in the live system.” Easiest cop-out for them to not have to figure something out that their little manual couldn’t explain and they didn’t know.
Sounds about right. It takes about 15 minutes of playing with Genesis to get the hang of it. After that, most of the training could be condensed down to about 30 minutes to an hour with quick reference guides that are easy to access and use. Right now all the "quick reference" how to tip sheets for Genesis are locked away behind a CAC enabled site (MilSuite). And they're all individual on PDF. So you have to search through all the PDF titles to find what you need, and then, open it up on our slow computers.

Current training includes something like 6+ hours of online modules on JKO, followed by 4-6 hour in person training, followed by a favorites fair. If you've ever used Epic, Genesis should be easy to understand (though not as good). The favorites fair is probably the most useful part of the training, as it can really help you become faster.

My Genesis section attempts to be an actual quick reference, and focus mainly on the things they don't cover in the training that we all had to figure out by trial and error, or it was in a tip sheet that could've been condensed down by 50%. And it's all on one, quickly searchable, easily accessible, web page. As I figure stuff out I keep adding to it.