Navy Reserves Supply Corps Officer wanting to go M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crusinmsu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, here's my situation.
I am supposed to commission tomorrow into the Navy Reserves as a Supply Corps Officer. (I'm a Direct Commission)
Everything I have heard from my recruiters is the good side of
things and no negatives whatsoever. I know that recruiters are paid to paint the good picture of the situation and I trust them, but I just want to know
straight up if there are going to be any roadblocks down the way for what I'm attempting to do. I feel that the Navy is flexible, but I wonder about the
Supply Corps and how they are going to view me transferring after they have nvested so much time and money into training me into a supply corps officer in such a short time (2 yrs) only for me to UP and ask for a transfer only as an Ensign or a LTJG. I just have the fear of that not being possible and my dreams having to be put on major hold. They say that the Navy is flexible and needs doctors but I am just wondering how Flexible it really is? am I going to have a problem doing all of this: work full time, school, and Navy Reserve, and when it comes down to it- do you get what I'm saying? sorry to bother you with all this, just knew that you were on the inside and knew alot about situations like this. Thanks. If there's any way you could respond to me before tomorrow that would be great. thanks! (I do not have to attend DCO school for a year, and by that time I should have all my pre-reqs completed and will just be drilling on the weekend).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused. Do you want to be a Navy officer or a doctor? Both? Which is more important to you? Since you talk about "dreams" I assume a doctor. If this is the case, I wouldn't commission tomorrow. There are other ways to become a doctor without the headaches. You can always go back to the Navy, they will always take a fully-trained doctor. If it is money pushing you into the reserves you'll regret it.

DON'T TRUST RECRUITERS. THEY LIE.

I want to be a Naval Officer and also work towards becoming a Navy Doc. I have heard that there is a way that both can work in harmony and be a great situation; but don't know if that is the entire truth. The recruiters have shown me forms for inter and intra-service transfers as well as HPSP checklists and say that it's all just a matter of paperwork. I just worry that the persons responsible for signing off on that paperwork are going to have a problem with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a Naval Officer and also work towards becoming a Navy Doc. I have heard that there is a way that both can work in harmony and be a great situation; but don't know if that is the entire truth. The recruiters have shown me forms for inter and intra-service transfers as well as HPSP checklists and say that it's all just a matter of paperwork. I just worry that the persons responsible for signing off on that paperwork are going to have a problem with it.

It CAN be done....but isn't necessarily easily done I'm sure. There is a way that both can work in harmony and be a great situation BUT there are multiple ways they can not work in harmony and you'll regret today for years. Good luck with your decision.

I know that recruiters are paid to paint the good picture of the situation and I trust them

I have some great oceanfront property in Arizona you might be interested in... or perhaps that bridge in Brooklyn I've been thinking of selling.

Just realize that if you're in the Supply Corps as a reservist, you can easily get sent to Iraq as an IA (individual augment).

I have two friends (Navy Supply Reserve) who recently completed 6 month deployments to Iraq.

I'm glad I followed up on this some more before swearing in. the community manager for supply called me today and told me the scoop and says that we need to sit down and have a nice long talk before I swear in to know all the details. i told him my situation and he appreciated it, but also said that if the supply corps invests that much money in me that they're going to expect 3 years in return at least before i'm released to go to another community. he did say that a transfer was possible but did not totally clarify it. so tomorrow we're gonna have a pow wow and go over this stuff and if I can't get it in writing or a clause saying that I have the option to transfer into the Medical Corps community and go into the IRR at any time to attend med school, then no signature and raising of the right hand from me. how does that sound?

sounds like you're not going to be raising your right hand :p

well I guess I'll let ya know in a couple of hours I'm leaving here around 2:00 pm Central and will be on a conf. call with the supply corps community and my recruiter to discuss my situation.

no turning back now... I'm now an Ensign in the Navy Reserve Supply Corps. swore in yesterday. figured that a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush and if I turned down the commission probably wouldn't help me down the road when applying for the Navy Medical Scholarship. recruiter assured me that people change communities all the time and the Navy is always needing doctors and would love to take from their own. so we'll see. still 3 yrs down the road and some classes and the MCAT left to take... Medicine is still a dream, but my Commission is a reality. =)

I'm sorry for you, man. You fell for the lie.