Navy Scholarships, Military Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleazye

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience/info/advice about the scholarships that the navy offers and if these are worth it? The consesus of the med students and current military physicians is that it is not worth it for the main reason that they can make so much more as civilians, is it the same way for pharmacists seeing as how we don't have the same earning potential as physicians. If anyone has any experience with how pharmacy works in the military please share. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have direct experience, but I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges in terms of compensation between civilians and those in the military.

Remember the military has a pension starting at 20 years, which is different from the 401k matches you will find in the private sector. Pensions are becoming increasingly rare among all private companies. Also, you often get a housing stipend on top of your salary (or base housing), have access to mac flights in the AF, VA housing loans, etc... all these little perks do add up. It's usually the lifestyle you lead which will differ greatly, not the monetary compensation.

There's a thread if you go back a few pages on pharmacy in the service...good posts in there.

Thanks, I already read all the old threads in this forum and in the med forum but obviously the med forum pertains more to the physician aspect and the pharmacy threads weren't that indepth. I'd appreciate any more advice/opinions that anyone has.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any experience/info/advice about the scholarships that the navy offers and if these are worth it? The consesus of the med students and current military physicians is that it is not worth it for the main reason that they can make so much more as civilians, is it the same way for pharmacists seeing as how we don't have the same earning potential as physicians. If anyone has any experience with how pharmacy works in the military please share. Thanks

Okay I only have experience with the Army, but it works like this you have the option of accepting a scholarship and depending on how many years you accept 1-4, you have to give that same amount of time back to the Army. You come in as a Captain with 0 years. You can look up the pay of a Captain on this website http://www.dfas.mil. You are also given a housing allowance if you choose to live off base, if you live on base your not given the allowance. You are also give an allowance for food no matter where you live. It does not matter if you major in medical, dental or pharmacy all of them are considered doctors and all come in as a Captain. Do some research on the website I gave you and it will give you the different housing allowances depending on where you are stationed it is different for each state.

HTH

I used to be a Navy pharmacist, currently I am a Navy med student at the Uniformed Services University. The med students and doctors who post here are predominately bitter for a variety of reasons. They all seem to land on this forum, but they are not the majority. I would have left long ago if it was as bad as they make it out to be. I'm not saying that I don't believe the tales of woe on SDN, but realize the not everyone has that experience. The military isn't perfect and it's not for everyone, but it's been a good path for me.

Is it worth it? Well, I can't really answer that for you. I can tell you that you'll get some cash for school, make about the same as civilian hospital pharmacists, but a little less than retail. Money is generally a bad reason to join the military. It might look good initially, but if you aren't genuinely interested in serving then the military will really start to piss you off. Personally, I like serving in the military and I plan on making it a career. However, it's not like the HSCP program incurs a huge commitment, so if the Navy isn't your thing, you can get out. 3 years will go by pretty quick.

If you have some more specific questions, I can try to answer them.

I used to be a Navy pharmacist, currently I am a Navy med student at the Uniformed Services University. The med students and doctors who post here are predominately bitter for a variety of reasons. They all seem to land on this forum, but they are not the majority. I would have left long ago if it was as bad as they make it out to be. I'm not saying that I don't believe the tales of woe on SDN, but realize the not everyone has that experience. The military isn't perfect and it's not for everyone, but it's been a good path for me.

Is it worth it? Well, I can't really answer that for you. I can tell you that you'll get some cash for school, make about the same as civilian hospital pharmacists, but a little less than retail. Money is generally a bad reason to join the military. It might look good initially, but if you aren't genuinely interested in serving then the military will really start to piss you off. Personally, I like serving in the military and I plan on making it a career. However, it's not like the HSCP program incurs a huge commitment, so if the Navy isn't your thing, you can get out. 3 years will go by pretty quick.

If you have some more specific questions, I can try to answer them.

For some reason this sounds just like Old Timer defending CVS. As for the pay, the military pay chart says that an 0-1 gets $2,469.30/month, which turns out to be just under $30,000 per year.:eek: I think this salary is also taxable even though it comes directly from Uncle Sam, but regardless it is considerable below pay available in the private sector. Even when you consider the other allowances I doubt you'd make more than half what you can get in retail. That means it's only financial worth it if you think the intangibles and the tuition repayment (which maxes out around $111,000) are worth a 50% cut in pay. If you're good with money and can invest wisely then it'd be more beneficial to stay in the private sector with higher pay and take care of your debt by yourself rather than have the gov't do it for you. Then there's the loss of autonomy factor to consider. Not my cup of tea, but if you'll be happy in that environment then definitely go for it.

There are also a lot of perks that aren't measured in the paycheck, but also don't come out of the final amount of the paycheck as a bill. For example, military health care providers don't have to pay for malpractice insurance. Also, the medical and dental care that service members and their families receive for free is quite good, so that could be another $400 or more that won't come out of your paycheck.

Inhouse inservice training covers much of the CE/CMEs, but what isn't covered inhouse can be done through government-sponsored travel to conferences, classes, etc.

Finally, only you can determine the value of practicing in a typical American facility that just happens to be located in Germany, Japan, Okinawa, Italy....... or in a relatively primitive setup on a ship or deployed field hospital. Familywise, being stationed overseas is incredible. The money is great- overseas duty stations get substantial COLA in addition to paycheck and housing allowances. Plus, the Department of Defense Dependent Schools are pretty good, and the ease and convenience of global travel is beyond explanation.

All in all it's a good deal, but each individual is going to have their own ideas of what those intangibles are worth.

Thanks everyone. I am really interested in working in various places including overseas and the military seems to be a good option for being able to be sent anywhere in the world. I am not that concerned about money but rather having an interesting life. I have read a lot about people regreting their decision to join but most of those people are enlisted not officers. Is there a significant lifestyle difference between enlisted and officers? Also, maybe someone with experience could list some disadvantages to the military and military pharmacy specifically. Two more questions: 1. I know the contract is 8 years but is the remaining time required to be active reserves with drill every month or is there another option? 2. Is pharmacy practice in the military very clinical or is it just verifying scripts?
Thanks again guys

For some reason this sounds just like Old Timer defending CVS. As for the pay, the military pay chart says that an 0-1 gets $2,469.30/month, which turns out to be just under $30,000 per year.:eek: I think this salary is also taxable even though it comes directly from Uncle Sam, but regardless it is considerable below pay available in the private sector. Even when you consider the other allowances I doubt you'd make more than half what you can get in retail. That means it's only financial worth it if you think the intangibles and the tuition repayment (which maxes out around $111,000) are worth a 50% cut in pay. If you're good with money and can invest wisely then it'd be more beneficial to stay in the private sector with higher pay and take care of your debt by yourself rather than have the gov't do it for you. Then there's the loss of autonomy factor to consider. Not my cup of tea, but if you'll be happy in that environment then definitely go for it.

You are way off. Who the hell is Oldtimer? I'm not defending anything. I've laid it out just as I have experienced it. You clearly have no clue how the pay structure works and you don't account for promotion. The Navy HSCP brings you in as an O-3 with 2 years, not an O-1. There are annual specialty bonuses and board certification pay. The pay chart doesn't include BAH which is tax free and based on your zip code- google it if you must.

We all know how much money retail pharmacists make. That's not the issue. Your post states the obvious and then misrepresents a lot of very pertinent facts.

I've worked as a clinical pharmacist in a big civilian hospital system. I know how money people make and how it's taxed. I stand by my previous statement. The amount of money after taxes in my pocket each month was actually slightly higher in the military than it was with the civilian hospital.

What!!! You are reading the pay table wrong! The starting pay for a pharmacist coming in is 0-3, it starts at $4392 a month which is about 52,700 a year. Pharmacist also get an incentative of 3000.00 a month. You have to take into account also that you will not have any loan repayment because the military will pay your tuition, books and give you a stipend sometimes while in school. So a pharmacist making 110,000 a year has to pay about 1000 a month in student loans. Your pay is taxed but your allowances are not. They pay your rent, lights and water, so you have no household bills besides cable and your car note. You also get to further your education while in the military for FREE! Its not a bad deal for someone who doesn't want all the bills and you only have to do it for four years. The years fly by quick! As the other poster stated its not for everybody so do your homework talk to others in the military and find out how they like it and then make your decision. Please don't base your decisions on your recruiter cause they LIE to get their stats!

HTH

Is there a significant lifestyle difference between enlisted and officers?

Yes. The pay is higher for officers and you get treated differently (which is sad in some ways- you have to watch out for your enlisted guys). The lifestyle difference is sort of like comparing pharmacists to techs, or mid-management to the worker bees. I'm not trying to sound elitist- it's just the way it is. Enlisted folks deserve an awful lot of credit- they are truly the backbone of the military and they do their jobs without a lot of the bennies that officers get.

Also, maybe someone with experience could list some disadvantages to the military and military pharmacy specifically.

Deployments, unexpected orders to crappy duty stations (like GTMO in my case), moves every three years, bureaucracy, getting stuck with a crappy boss and not being able to quit or transfer. I had a few beefs with Navy pharmacy which I'll share with you. I thought they were overly outpatient focused and they let their inpatient programs slide. I was also frustrated by the q3 yr turnover, which was pretty disruptive if you were trying to get a clinical program up and running. I didn't like seeing what I felt to be a double standard- basically, the Navy has technician manned pharmacies (no pharmacist on site) in some locations that only serve active duty personnel. It's a double standard, b/c they made sure pharmacists were present whenever dependents/retirees were involved since these parties can sue the government.

I know the contract is 8 years but is the remaining time required to be active reserves with drill every month or is there another option?
The contract is 3 years active duty and then you may opt to go active reserves as you mentioned, or you may go inactive reserve (IRR) for 5 years at which time you may resign your commission if you desire. IRR basically means that you don't do anything other than keep your address updated with the military. There is a chance of being recalled, albeit a small one for pharmacists.

2. Is pharmacy practice in the military very clinical or is it just verifying scripts?
Thanks again guys

For the most part, it's not very clinical. The outpatient operation dominates the picture by it's sheer volume and the money involved. Somehow I sort of lucked out in this department and ended up getting a residency followed some inpatient/ICU experience. However, if you get stuck in a little place like GTMO where you are the lone pharmacist, it can be as clinical as you want it to be. You will know all the docs which really helps, get some sort of program up an running, then you'll get orders to your next duty station...

A lot of it is what you make of it. I expressed a lot of interest and aptitude in doing inpatient clinical stuff, so that's what they did with me until the GTMO hammer fell. GTMO wasn't all bad- just boring mostly.

I"m gonna be picking the army recruiter's brain this friday at our career fair, military pharmacy is of great interest to me, though the Air Force would be my preferred branch based on nothing other than base locations and that my dad served in the AF

Members don't see this ad :)
What!!! You are reading the pay table wrong! The starting pay for a pharmacist coming in is 0-3, it starts at $4392 a month which is about 52,700 a year. Pharmacist also get an incentative of 3000.00 a month. You have to take into account also that you will not have any loan repayment because the military will pay your tuition, books and give you a stipend sometimes while in school.
HTH

Hold on there- the incentive pay starts at $3K per year and goes up from there depending on your seniority. It's not 3 grand per month. That would have been great, but it's not the case. The BAH and BAS are tax free and depending on where you live range widely. You can find the rates on the net somewhere. They are based on zip code and marital status. They usually add about $1500-2000 tax free to your income. So, you can expect your after tax in your pocket $$ to be somewhere around $4000-4500 if you are an average single person. If you are married, the BAH goes up by 200-300 bucks per month. All in all, I've found that it's about the same as a 85-90K/yr civilian salary. The tax free allowances are what make the difference. You gross less, but your taxable income is dramatically lower because you are only taxed on the base pay, incentive pays, and bonuses. The retail do pull a bit more cash, no doubt about that.

You need to talk to the recruiter about the specifics of loan repayment, books, tuition, stipend, etc. The Navy doesn't really have a comprehensive scholarship like this that I know of for pharmacy.

I need to get back to my studies. I don't mind answering these questions, but I probably should not be on SDN for a couple of days. It's becoming too much of a distraction. PM me, and I'll see your question in my email then I'll try to get back to.

I've been considering going back into the military life again as a pharmacist, but when I talk it over with my wife it does not seem like a very good idea. If your single and like to travel, the life style may not be all that hard. On the other hand, if you have a spouse who is professional as well (nurse, M.D., Pharm D, ect...) it may not be very easy for them to continue their career if they want to stay active and on the civilian side. You move around a fair amount, depending on the branch and you don't always have much say in where you end up. Just another consideration to think about.
Also remember that at the end of your 20 years, with your retirement, only your base pay is counted. If you make around 70K a year in base pay (excluding housing, food, health care, and all the other perks of the military), then you get half that every year. Your base pay is not taxable when you are in and not given when you retire. Bear in mind that there are ways to deduct money (pre-tax) from your pay check if you are working as a civilian. (401K's, health savings plans ect...) There are loop holes in the tax system.
I'm not saying there is nothing positive about the service. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages. It really depends on your personal situation. All the branches have some sort of scholarship they offer. It is up to each person to find the one that works for them. I did a quick google search and found a lot of information from each branch. View attachment AirForceHPSP.pdf

View attachment MSC_HSCP_Flyer_1.pdf

Not exactly related, but any comparisons to the PHS?

It's very similar. The uniformed pharmacists serving the Coast Guard are PHS, and Back in The Day, the PHS even had a Surgeon General (Dr. C. Everett Koop).

"our base pay is not taxable when you are in and not given when you retire. Bear in mind that there are ways to deduct money (pre-tax) from your pay check if you are working as a civilian. (401K's, health savings plans ect...) There are loop holes in the tax system."

Your base pay IS taxable, unless you are in a combat zone (you earn every penny of that money). So when you retire, your base pay is the only considered income. You get half of your base pay for the rest of your life. Be careful though, if you get divorced after you retire the Ex can get half of that money for the rest of her life too! Your health care is covered until you are old enough for Medicare (unless you pay for Tricare for life).

You really cannot go by just the base pay when trying to figure out military salaries. First theres housing allowance, which varies by location and paygrade but is usually more than enough to pay for a decent place to live. Then food allowance which is around $250 a month, and goes up every year. You also get a uniform allowance once a year, which varies by paygrade.(mine is like $450/yr being an E-5) All of that is tax free. BTW you can easily get specific numbers with a quick search on Google.

Also, as it was mentioned when you go overseas you can make a killing off COLA, per diem, tax free pay, combat pay, hazard duty pay (if in a combat zone), family separation pay, sea duty pay.

Then the little things add up as well. Such as use of the exchange and commissary on base, which is all tax free. Free access to the gym on base. Not to mention the little discounts you get everywhere, and random good deals that are given out. (free Golden Corral buffet every Veterans Day, woohoo!!) Of course the full medical and dental coverage for you and your family is a big plus.

It also gives a great opportunity to see other countries and other parts of the world on the militarys dime. I would definitely recommend it for someone who has not really travelled alot or experienced alot. Personally I've been enlisted for 8 years now, so come June I'm ready to say goodbye Navy, and hello civilian life, hopefully with acceptance letter from UF in hand! And like was also said, officer life is DEFINITELY different from enlisted. Then of course if you don't like it, do your 4 or 5 years or whatever and get out. You probably won't regret it.

Almost forgot, 30 days of paid vacation a year!!

I might have missed this, and I believe you mentioned some numbers correlating to this question but I am not familiar with the numbers. When you graduate as a Navy pharmacist, what rank do you come out as? My dad is a Captain in the Navy and I'm guessing that must be different than a Captain in the Army if that is what you start out as when you are an Army pharmacist. Thanks!

the army and the airforce start you out as a captain (provided you have earned a PharmD)

So whatever the third officer rank in the Navy is, is what you should be starting out as. I dont' recall if a captain in the Navy corresponds to Captain in the Army/AF

the army and the airforce start you out as a captain (provided you have earned a PharmD)

So whatever the third officer rank in the Navy is, is what you should be starting out as. I dont' recall if a captain in the Navy corresponds to Captain in the Army/AF

An O-3 in the Army is a Captain, in the Navy it's a Lieutenant
An O-6 in the Army is a Colonel, in the Navy it's a Captain

That's why, when working in an Army facility, a Navy Captain will often identify herself as "I'm Navy Captain Suchandsuch......" ;)

ok, because the "starting" officer rank is ensign correct? whereas in the army you start off as a Lieuy

I was thinking Captain meant more in the Navy

Yes,

Navy goes-- Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, and Lieutenant....

Army--Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Captain...

The Army, Air Force, and Marines all have the same names for their officer ranks, the Navy is the only one that has to be different for some reason.

Yes,

Navy goes-- Ensign, Lieutenant Junior Grade, and Lieutenant....

Army--Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Captain...

The Army, Air Force, and Marines all have the same names for their officer ranks, the Navy is the only one that has to be different for some reason.

This is because the Navy (upon its creation in the US) was patterned directly from the British Navy at the time of the Revolutionary War (essentially a carbon copy, ratings included). The Army insignia, on the other hand, was inspired by the French, our allies after 1779. But really, the history goes back hundreds of years to at least the Middle Ages.

Navy chevrons are the only ones that point in the correct direction, too. ;)

I've also been considering a position in the medical field of the military. I am currently earning my BS in Biochemistry with the intention of entering pharmacy school in two years. My undergraduate tuition is affordable, but I am thinking about how much Pharmacy school will cost.

I've read that the military will pay for pharmacy school tuition, but when would one apply for a military scholarship for pharmacy schooling? Would this be around the time of applying to pharmacy school? Also, what would happen if one applied to a pharmacy school and for whatever reason did not get into any?

So I've been trying to use my google zen to find out whether the navy has a similar scholarship to the AF in paying for the last 2 years of school while getting a stipend as an E-7.

all I'm finding is a "stipend only" deal with no tuition help, or a generous payback in loans after graduating.

I'm thinking maybe it no longer exists? I recall someone had it a while ago that posted on sdn. Just wanted to see if anyone here knows anything. Navy is my preferred branch but I would prefer the AF scholarship given the opportunity.

Are pharmacists in the Air Force/Army/etc still subject to the regular entrance requirements (weight, physical fitness, health, etc)? I have hyperinsulinism which I believe would disqualify me from enlisting... though it doesn't affect my life really in any way (besides metformin + trying to lose weight)

Are pharmacists in the Air Force/Army/etc still subject to the regular entrance requirements (weight, physical fitness, health, etc)? I have hyperinsulinism which I believe would disqualify me from enlisting... though it doesn't affect my life really in any way (besides metformin + trying to lose weight)

Generally yes, but there seems to be a little give for healthcare professionals as long as you can pass the physical fitness test. The army and air force tend to be more flexible than the other branches.

Are there any options at all in the Marine Corps? I have loved the marines since I was a young kid and I always said if I didnt have any career options I would enlist in the Marines. If they had a loan repayment system, I would be highly interested in it, but it seems like they dont have anything for pharmacist. Anyone have any information about the marines?

Are there any options at all in the Marine Corps? I have loved the marines since I was a young kid and I always said if I didnt have any career options I would enlist in the Marines. If they had a loan repayment system, I would be highly interested in it, but it seems like they dont have anything for pharmacist. Anyone have any information about the marines?

The Marines are part of the Navy and are therefore served by Navy pharmacists.

Generally yes, but there seems to be a little give for healthcare professionals as long as you can pass the physical fitness test. The army and air force tend to be more flexible than the other branches.

There are a variety of things that can be waivered upon commission - weight, legal drug use as a minor, age. Medical conditions are almost NEVER waived. People with medical conditions are not suitable for service - due to the possiblity of becoming a liability.

~above~

So how exactly does a pharmacist/physician get promotions? I can't really find any info on that...

So how exactly does a pharmacist/physician get promotions? I can't really find any info on that...

Every commission officer gets reviewed - typically every 6 months. Showing progress.

The promotions from O1 - O2 is automatic after 2 yrs of service(Second Lt. to a First Lt.). This doesn't really apply to Pharmacists as we typically enter the service as an O3 (Captain). The promotion to O4 (Major) is conducted by boards - that meet yearly. The number of officers in each rank is decided upon by higher ups... and then the board allocates those promotions accordingly. You have to put together a packet, which is presented to the board. Your packet is essentially your qualifications - depending on how competitive you are will determine how quickly you can climb in rank.

This is somewhat of a confusing process - and difficult to explain - There is a question of being "in range" that maybe someone else can better explain. The main take home point is that you will compete with your peers for promotion...

Also - I am unfamiliar with Health professions promotion. Does anyone know if this is different than regular officers?

~above~

Too bad marines go thru the navy, I always wanted to be a marine... if they had a program, I'd have already signed up.

Too bad marines go thru the navy, I always wanted to be a marine... if they had a program, I'd have already signed up.

They do - but they are served by the Navy - There is a Navy program where the Officer / enlistedmen can conduct all of the training a Marine does. They receive the Eagle, Globe and Anchor - and are stationed exclusively on Marine bases... You should check it out - but you should know it isn't easy. I have only met a few people that have done it - and they were pretty bad @ss people - The type that should have been Marines from the get go.

~above~

Every commission officer gets reviewed - typically every 6 months. Showing progress.

The promotions from O1 - O2 is automatic after 2 yrs of service(Second Lt. to a First Lt.). This doesn't really apply to Pharmacists as we typically enter the service as an O3 (Captain). The promotion to O4 (Major) is conducted by boards - that meet yearly. The number of officers in each rank is decided upon by higher ups... and then the board allocates those promotions accordingly. You have to put together a packet, which is presented to the board. Your packet is essentially your qualifications - depending on how competitive you are will determine how quickly you can climb in rank.

This is somewhat of a confusing process - and difficult to explain - There is a question of being "in range" that maybe someone else can better explain. The main take home point is that you will compete with your peers for promotion...

Also - I am unfamiliar with Health professions promotion. Does anyone know if this is different than regular officers?

~above~

Do you know how long it typically takes for an O-3 to be promoted to 0-4?

Do you know how long it typically takes for an O-3 to be promoted to 0-4?

It varies by job / specialty. Also - The PHS has the same ranks, but a totally different promotion system.

I would guess that the average TIS (Time in service) is somewhere between 5 yrs to 9 yrs. for major. 5 being someone who is an excellent officer - 9 yrs being bottom of the barrel.

Again - that is what I have observed from other officer roles - NOT PHARMACY.

~above~

Yea, I was scouring the net trying to find info on commissioned officer promotions. The best thing I could was this link. Based on this, it says the two main criteria that help in promotion are physical fitness and level of responsibility.

For level of responsibility, does the military place you wherever you're needed so you don't have much control over responsibility? For physical fitness, does it affect medical professionals like pharmacists? Let's say pharmacist A can do 70 pushups, 70 situps, and a 14 minute 2-mile while pharm B can "only" do 35 pushups, 35 situps, and a 20-minute 2-mile. Will pharm A have a higher chance of promotion?

Also, does it matter whether or not you have a good GPA upon graduation from pharmacy school? Does the military care whether you have a 2.5 or 3.5 GPA?

Last edited:
Maybe it also has to do with education. Say a pharmacist gets an MBA and is promoted to become a pharmacy manager, so his/her rank goes up also. (Just a guess)

Maybe it also has to do with education. Say a pharmacist gets an MBA and is promoted to become a pharmacy manager, so his/her rank goes up also. (Just a guess)
nobody really gets "promoted" to pharmacy manager aka chief of pharmacy. People only view promotions by rank. education does help make your profile look good for review boards

No - Promotion is by review boards only. You will NOT get promoted (with the exception of starting at O-3) due to education. It will make you a more qualifed personnel - so when that review board does come around, you are more competitive.

The military has what is called billets - these are very similar to "jobs" in the civilian world. Officer-In-Charge of a clinic is considered a billet. In the billet, it states what rank a person must be to "fill" that billet. If a billet is listed to require an O5 or O6 = only personnel that are already that rank can fill that billet. They do not promote people to fill billets however. Your abilities as an officer determine your promotion - at which time you then assume new responsiblities - typically by being assigned a billet.

You wouldn't have an 06 doing the same job as an 03 - obviously they are more experienced and developed. Thus the billet system ensures that the right people are utilized in the proper way.

~above~

Education is a part of your promotion potential. You actually get points for education. You get points for physical fitness, awards, education and level of responsibility. There is a maximum amount of points that you can receive before your considered maxed out on everything. Sometimes you actually are drilled by the board for points also.

Check out this site it has some good information on officer promotions.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/promotions/l/blofficerprom.htm

HTH

No - Promotion is by review boards only. You will NOT get promoted (with the exception of starting at O-3) due to education. It will make you a more qualifed personnel - so when that review board does come around, you are more competitive.

The military has what is called billets - these are very similar to "jobs" in the civilian world. Officer-In-Charge of a clinic is considered a billet. In the billet, it states what rank a person must be to "fill" that billet. If a billet is listed to require an O5 or O6 = only personnel that are already that rank can fill that billet. They do not promote people to fill billets however. Your abilities as an officer determine your promotion - at which time you then assume new responsiblities - typically by being assigned a billet.

You wouldn't have an 06 doing the same job as an 03 - obviously they are more experienced and developed. Thus the billet system ensures that the right people are utilized in the proper way.

~above~

And it is not uncommon to be "frocked" In this situation a lower ranking officer is promoted to the next rank to assume the reponsiblity needed to fill a certain "billet" but they do not receive the higher pay until a later date. It's like, "Hey, we need a new RX director, but they have to be a major and you're only a captain...so we're gonna make you a major for now, but we're gonna pay you as a captain...dismissed!" :laugh:

I've never served in the health professions as an officer, but based on my observations the promotions are generally very slow. In the miltary you have certain pay-grades that are really hurdles. It seems most military RPh are O-3 with some who a percentage who make it to O-4, but that is the hurdle. Not many RPh that make it past O-4. Just go look at the really high brass in military Pharmacy...no one above O-6 and not many O-5...most military RPh would likely retire as O-3/4 after 20 years

...just like civvilian pharmacy...not alot of potential for advancement.