Navy Veterinarians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Army is the Department of Defense Executive Agent for Veterinary Services -- this means that the only service that employs veterinarians in an animal care/food inspection capacity is the US Army and that they in turn provide this support to the Air Force, Navy, Marines, etc. The Air Force recruits veterinarians for its Public Health mission, but this does not include any animal care work.

There are also civilian veterinarians that work on military installations to see animals owned by service members. There may also be civilian practices in the area where your significant other can work if hours are limited on post. I should also mention that dual service member families get some consideration in assignment selection though I have no idea how that would play out between the Army/Navy. The most likely outcome of that would be a longer-term assignment to an area with an Army/Navy posting in a reasonable vicinity (e.g. Pearl Harbor and Fort Shafter/Schofield Barracks) if I had to guess.