NBDE Part 2 Questions version 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all questions concerning the NBDE Part 2 here in this thread. The first thread was closed due to it containing over 1000 posts, which slows down page loading on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Side effect of diuretic with ACE?

Side effect of diuretic and Ca channel blocker?

Is the tx of severe bilateral tuberosity undercut THE SAME as minimal bilateral tuberosity undercut?

Well for the SEVERE UNDERCUT - TX is to reduce one side of the TUBEROSITY ONLY according to released 1988 PHROSTO PAPER Q 38

Side effect of diuretic with ACE?

Side effect of diuretic and Ca channel blocker?

Is the tx of severe bilateral tuberosity undercut THE SAME as minimal bilateral tuberosity undercut?

Well for the SEVERE UNDERCUT - TX is to reduce one side of the TUBEROSITY ONLY according to released 1988 PHROSTO PAPER Q 38

I think which ever is in the way of denture fabrication is to be removed.

you have to give clindamycin because your imun system got used to amox.100% you have to give another antbiotics

Members don't see this ad :)
while reading decks I came across this question...
arrange the following procedures into their proper sequence for molar uprighting of a tooth requiring both restorative and periodontal treatment: 1)band 2) complete restorative treatment 3) complete periodontal surgery 4)seperate 5) upright
The answer given is 1) Seperate 2) band 3) upright 4) Complete periodontal surgery 5) complete restorative treatment.
Now my question is why not do complete periodontal surgery for the tooth before taking up any orthodontic or restorative procedure? Will it not be advisable to see the results of periodontal treatment and then proceed with other treatments? Will not the orthodontic movement of a periodontally compromised tooth affect it further?
can somebody please explain? Thanks!!

Can anyone give an insite on this Q

A 65 yr old lady living on 40k pension per year, wants to get a treatment. She dont have any other physical abnormality besides tooth pain in her molars. From where do the money covered for her treatment.
1) Medicaid
2) Medicare.
3) Private Insurance
4) Others insurance.

What instrument is used for both supra/subgingival scaling.
1, currette
2, sickle scaler.
3, hoe
4, ultrasonic tips.

plz answer these questions.
thanks
1) what is the difference between specificity and sensitivity?

2) which tooth has more nutrient canals?

3)if the dental insurance is expeiring for a patient after one day and he request the dentist to finish all the treatment within one day before the insurans expired and dentist ageed to do that . what dentist is trying to do ?
a)helping the pt.
b)fraud
c)adjusting
d)

4) which oral lesion blanches on compression?

please help me with these questions....

Which of the following is not an action of a drug that inhibits prostaglandin synthesis?
1.Antipyretic effect
2.Relief of inflamation
3.Relief of sharp, piercing pain
4.Exacerbation of excisting gastric ulcer
5.Increased production of gastric hydrochloric acid

Which of the following pharmacological actions is not produced by prostaglandins?
1.pyrexia
2.uterine contraction
3.increased gasric acid secretion
4.increased capillary permeability
5.pain when injected intradermally

please help me with these questions....

Which of the following is not an action of a drug that inhibits prostaglandin synthesis?
1.Antipyretic effect
2.Relief of inflamation
4.Exacerbation of excisting gastric ulcer
5.Increased production of gastric hydrochloric acid..(answer)
Which of the following pharmacological actions is not produced by prostaglandins?
1.pyrexia
2.uterine contraction
3.increased gasric acid secretion....( answer)
hi

Can anyone give an insite on this Q

A 65 yr old lady living on 40k pension per year, wants to get a treatment. She dont have any other physical abnormality besides tooth pain in her molars. From where do the money covered for her treatment.
1) Medicaid
2) Medicare.
3) Private Insurance
4) Others insurance.
medicare..for senior citizens abov 65 years...

Thank you Doc smiley... In the first question, the answer inthe question paper was given as 3. sharp piercing pain.. I just wanted to check it...
Thank you...

Members don't see this ad :)

1.Antipyretic effect
2.Relief of inflammation
4.Exacerbation of existing gastric ulcer
5.Increased production of gastric hydrochloric acid.

Is it possible to answer this question as All of the above based on the following explanations below ?????
Gastrointestinal Effects:
Normally, prostacyclin inhibits gastric acid secretion, stimulate synthesis of protective mucus in both the stomach and small intestine.
In the presence of NSAIDs (the main COX inhibitors) those protanoids are not formed, resulting in increased gastric acid secretion and diminished mucus.
The classical COX inhibitors are not selective (i.e. they inhibit all types of COX), and the main adverse effects of their use are peptic ulceration and dyspepsia. It is believed that this may be due to the "dual-insult" of NSAIDs - direct irritation of the gastric mucosa (many NSAIDs are acids), and inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis by COX-1. Prostaglandins have a protective role in the gastrointestinal tract, preventing acid-insult to the mucosa.

The antipyretic and analgesic effects: are due to primarily to the blockage of prostaglandin synthesis at the thermoregulatory centers in the hypothalamus and at peripheral target sites (reset thermostat towards normal and rapidly lowers the body temperature by decreasing heat dessipation as a result of peripheral vasodilation and sweating). By decreasing prostaglandin synthesis, it prevents the sensitization of pain receptors to both mechanical and chemical stimuli (may also depress pain stimuli at subcortical sites).

The anti-inflammatory effects: are due to the inhibition of cyclooxygenase activity, it diminishes formation of prostaglandins and thus modulates those aspects of inflammation in which prostaglandins act as mediators.

1.pyrexia
2.uterine contraction
3.increased gasric acid secretion....( answer)

Functions of Prostaglandin:
PGI2

IP
PGE2

EP1
EP2
EP3
Unspecified
PGF2α

FP

Last edited:
1.Antipyretic effect
2.Relief of inflammation
4.Exacerbation of existing gastric ulcer
5.Increased production of gastric hydrochloric acid.
]

I thinik it would be 5, i don't think it increases the production of HCL since protaglandins protect the stomach by aiding in formation of a protective membrane

is anyone using kaplan qbank for part2 ?
i was thinking about that .
let me know if anyone is using that?is that worth it?

Larger condensers and lateralyy applied condensation preasures to ensure complete condensation for
1. Admxed
2.lathecut
3. High cu
4. conventional
can somebody please answer this questipn

Last edited:
Larger condensers and lateralyy applied condensation preasures to ensure complete condensation for
1. Admxed
2.lathecut
3. High cu
4. conventional
can somebody please answer this questipn

Answer: spherical alloys

The direction of the condensing force is extremely important for spherical amalgams. They do not adapt to the cavity walls as well as lathe-cut or admixtures amalgams. Spherical amalgams are said to be less condensable, and lateral condensation is even more important when spherical amalgams are used than when conventional or admixture
amalgams are used. Larger condensers should be used for spherical amalgam, rather than for admixtures, to allow adequate force to be applied without displacement of the spherical amalgam to the side.

what is the amount of floride in an kids toothpast tube.
1, 156mg
2 256mg
3, 356mg
4, 456mg.

could anybody tell me why thyroid hormone has increased sensitivity to epinephrine.

thankyou

pls can anyone who's preparing for part 2 tell me if ur able to identify few radiographs coz some of them seem so bizzard..for eg..i thought one answer was cementoma and the answer was benign cementoblastoma.

i think #4 is swelling
anyone?

hi guys,
please correct me if i'm wrong

1. on bitewing radiograph of posterior teeth, which of the following is most likely to be misdiagnosed as proximal caries?

a. cej*
b. marginal ridge
c. carabelli cusp
d. calculus
e. cemental tears

2. in the early stage, a periapical abscess can be differentiated from a lateral periodontal abscess by
a. pain
b. type of exudate
c. tenderness to percussion
d. response of pulp to percussion*
e. radiographic examination

3. which of the following tumors has the best prognosis in terms of patient survival
a. osteosarcoma
b. melanoma
c. ameloblastoma*
d. adenocarcinoma

4. if an odontogenic infection involves the pterygomandibular space, the most obvious clinical sign will be
a. trismus*
b. facial swelling
c. swelling in the submandibular area
d. rise in the body temperature above 38C (102F)

5. immediately following a posterior superior alveolar block injection, the patient's face becomes quickly and visibly swollen. the immediate treatment should be to
a. use pressure followed by cold packs over swelling*
b. use hot packs over swelling
c. refer the patient to a hospital
d. administer 100mg hydrocortisone intravenously
e. administer diphenhydramine hydrochloride (benadryl) 50mg intravenously

6. trismus is frequently caused by
a. tetanus*
b. muscular dystrophy
c. infection
d. mandibular fracture

7. Acquired Immune Deficiency syndrome (AIDS) may be characterized by
1. candidiasis
2. rapid weight loss and night sweats
3. extreme malaise, fever and chills
4. a smooth and red tongue
a. 12&3 b. 1&3 c.2&4 d.4 only e. all of the above*

8. which properties increase the tendency of a drug to cross membranes
a. non-ionized and high lipid solubility*
b. non-ionized and low lipid solubility
c. ionized and low lipid solubility
d. ionized and water solubility

9. which of the following would you prescribe for an anxious patient with peptic ulcer
a. reserpine
b. scopolamine
c. silica gel
d. diazepam*
e. calcium carbonate

10. a patient with non-healing lesion on the side of the nose. it has a rolled border and has been increasing in size. the most likely diagnosis is
a. a sebaceous cyst
b. a basal cell carcinoma*
c. lupus erythematosus
d. verruca vulgaris
e. an epulis

whats wrong people. this site is viewed millions... plz if u read and know the answer help out.
its so sad...u will be helping others that doesn't make u fall behind!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I think trismus would show up more so then swelling because keep in mind where the pterygomandibular space is.

From Google

Trismus without swelling suggests pterygomandibular space abscess. Contrast- enhanced CT scanning is the preferred imaging tool for masseteric and related ...

sickle scaler..i think so...

Um, only if you want to shred some gingiva. Universal curettes and ultrasonics can both be used supra and subgingivally. Since the answer didn't specify the type of curette, and since curettes are typically for root planing, I might go with ultrasonics on this one.

FYI - hoes are for operative preps.

medicare..for senior citizens abov 65 years...

Medicare doesn't cover dentistry!!! Only Medicaid does. There's really not enough information to answer this question. It's most likely from Medicaid or her private insurance, if she has any. Was this from a case?

could somebody answer and explain this question for me? thanks

which of the following represents the median of the data set below?1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,7,7 (n=10,sum=30)

a.1
b.2
c.3
d.7
e.9

the answer is 2

mean of two middle values(if no. of observations is even) is taken as median

in this case it is (2+2)/2 = 2

I don't really understand what you mean by your formula, but the way I understand things, it's still the same answer. My logic is that the median value is the value that is the middle most measurement - 50% of all other measured values are above it, and 50% are lower than it. In this way, the median value is uneffected by extremes.. So you have the line
1,1,1,1,2,2,3,3,7,7 (n=10,sum=30)

number of all values is 10, they are arrange in progressive order
so the median value will be in the middle... cross off the first 4 and the last 4 as they are the extremes and you are ending up with the 2 as an answer.

the answer is 2

mean of two middle values(if no. of observations is even) is taken as median

in this case it is (2+2)/2 = 2

hey bomb shell !!!
is this for part one nbde u guys talkin about ???
can some one clarify what is this ? pls

Please post all questions concerning the NBDE Part 2 here in this thread. The first thread was closed due to it containing over 1000 posts, which slows down page loading on SDN.

Make a purchase through the SNDA for the new 200 questions for $70.00 was a complete RIP-OFF!!!

can someone please answer this question for me....thanks

the material most resistant to moisture contamination...
addition silicone
condensation silicone
polyether

my guess is addition silicone, but not sure...any input?

if you can help me out with another question, it would be much appreciated.

what is the effect seen when propranolol and epinephrine are injected simultaneously?

can someone please answer this question for me....thanks

the material most resistant to moisture contamination...
addition silicone
condensation silicone
polyether

my guess is addition silicone, but not sure...any input?

Yup it is additional silicones

epinephrine and propanolol will be having opposing effects, epinephrine increses blood pressure(it is vasoconstrictor) propanolol is b.p lowering drug(beta blocker).
do you have any options in the question??

if you can help me out with another question, it would be much appreciated.

what is the effect seen when propranolol and epinephrine are injected simultaneously?

epinephrine and propanolol will be having opposing effects, epinephrine increses blood pressure(it is vasoconstrictor) propanolol is b.p lowering drug(beta blocker).
do you have any options in the question??

thanks for the response.....also i was going thru my old pharm notes and found this to add to what you wrote....

non selective beta blockers such as propranolol, nadolol and timolol can induce a hypertensive rxn if epi containing local anesthetics are administered, due to a blockade of epi's vasodilating beta 2 effects, leaving epi's vasoconstrictive alpha 1 effects unopposed.

so, you mean epinephrine's vasodilating effects are blocked by propanolol....?

thanks for the response.....also i was going thru my old pharm notes and found this to add to what you wrote....

non selective beta blockers such as propranolol, nadolol and timolol can induce a hypertensive rxn if epi containing local anesthetics are administered, due to a blockade of epi's vasodilating beta 2 effects, leaving epi's vasoconstrictive alpha 1 effects unopposed.

i believe so.....

here is what i found from a pharm. website....

In the absence of a beta-blocker, a systemic dose of epinephrine does not have much effect on mean blood pressure because it has both alphaadrenergic effects (producing vasoconstriction) and beta-adrenergic effects (producing vasodilation). If a patient on a nonselective beta-blocker receives a systemic dose of epinephrine, however, the beta-blocker prevents the vasodilation, leaving unopposed alpha vasoconstriction. The resulting hypertensive reaction can be large, with systolic pressure well over 200 mm Hg.

Do all beta-blockers increase the risk of acute hypertension?
No. Cardioselective beta-blockers, such as acebutolol, atenolol, betaxolol, bisoprolol, esmolol, and metoprolol, would not be expected to cause hypertensive reactions following a systemic dose of epinephrine. This is because cardioselective beta-blockers have little effect on the beta-adrenergic receptors in the arterioles. Nonetheless, one should consider the possibility of an interaction of epinephrine with cardioselective beta-blockers if plasma concentrations of the beta-blocker are elevated due to large doses or other factors.

Is the dose of the epinephrine important?
Yes. The small amounts of epinephrine (combined with local anesthetics) that may be used in routine dental procedures are unlikely to be a problem. The same applies to minor dermatologic procedures that involve injection of small amounts of local anesthetics and epinephrine. Nonetheless, some patients undergoing facial or eyelid surgery with lidocaine and epinephrine injections have developed hypertensive reactions. Therefore, patients on nonselective beta-blockers should inform any health professional who will be giving them local anesthetics about their beta-blocker therapy.

hope this helps.

so, you mean epinephrine's vasodilating effects are blocked by propanolol....?

Last edited:
Thanks alot..

I n short, cardioselelctive beta blockers have no effect on epinephrine, its only non selective beta blockers that can prevent vasodilationeffects of epinephrine.
i believe so.....

here is what i found from a pharm. website....

In the absence of a beta-blocker, a systemic dose of epinephrine does not have much effect on mean blood pressure because it has both alphaadrenergic effects (producing vasoconstriction) and beta-adrenergic effects (producing vasodilation). If a patient on a nonselective beta-blocker receives a systemic dose of epinephrine, however, the beta-blocker prevents the vasodilation, leaving unopposed alpha vasoconstriction. The resulting hypertensive reaction can be large, with systolic pressure well over 200 mm Hg.

Do all beta-blockers increase the risk of acute hypertension?
No. Cardioselective beta-blockers, such as acebutolol, atenolol, betaxolol, bisoprolol, esmolol, and metoprolol, would not be expected to cause hypertensive reactions following a systemic dose of epinephrine. This is because cardioselective beta-blockers have little effect on the beta-adrenergic receptors in the arterioles. Nonetheless, one should consider the possibility of an interaction of epinephrine with cardioselective beta-blockers if plasma concentrations of the beta-blocker are elevated due to large doses or other factors.

Is the dose of the epinephrine important?
Yes. The small amounts of epinephrine (combined with local anesthetics) that may be used in routine dental procedures are unlikely to be a problem. The same applies to minor dermatologic procedures that involve injection of small amounts of local anesthetics and epinephrine. Nonetheless, some patients undergoing facial or eyelid surgery with lidocaine and epinephrine injections have developed hypertensive reactions. Therefore, patients on nonselective beta-blockers should inform any health professional who will be giving them local anesthetics about their beta-blocker therapy.

hope this helps.

Thanks, since we are discussing beta blockers, Here is some info on side effects of Beta Blockers: useful!

Many of the side effects of beta-blockers are related to their cardiac mechanisms and include
bradycardia,
reduced exercise capacity,
heart failure,
hypotension, and atrioventicular (AV) nodal conduction block.

All of these side effects result from excessive blockade of normal sympathetic influences on the heart. Considerable care needs to be exercised if a beta-blocker is given in conjunction with cardiac selective calcium-channel blockers (e.g., verapamil) because of their additive effects in producing electrical and mechanical depression.

1* Except for those drugs specifically approved for use in heart failure, beta-blockers are contraindicated in heart failure patients.

2*Beta-blockers are also contraindicated in patients with sinus bradycardia and partial AV block.

3*Bronchoconstriction can occur, especially when non-selective beta-blockers are administered to asthmatic patients. Therefore, non-selective beta-blockers are contraindicated in patients with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Bronchoconstriction occurs because sympathetic nerves innervating the bronchioles normally activate β2-receptors that promote bronchodilation. Blockade of these receptors can lead to bronchoconstriction.

4*Hypoglycemia can occur with beta-blockade because β2-adrenoceptors normally stimulate hepatic glycogen breakdown (glycogenolysis) and pancreatic release of glucagon, which work together to increase plasma glucose. Therefore, blocking β2-adrenoceptors lowers plasma glucose.

5*β1-blockers have fewer metabolic side effects in diabetic patients; however, the tachycardia which serves as a warning sign for insulin-induced hypoglycemia may be masked. Therefore, beta-blockers are to be used cautiously in diabetics.

Hope this helps!!

:luck:

Thanks alot..

I n short, cardioselelctive beta blockers have no effect on epinephrine, its only non selective beta blockers that can prevent vasodilationeffects of epinephrine.

here are some more if anyone can help me with please....

what is a gypsum slurry????

porcelain firing done to imprve wht??

Flexibility of a clasp arm depends on all* except. Length, taper, circumference, depth of undercut,

The direction of healing of wound after extraction of tooth in mandibular arch .outward and upward, inward and down ward, etc

Blood transfusion before surgery should be done when the platelet concentration falls below. 20,000, 50,000 , 100,000 etc

beaten metal appearance on x-ray and ocular protuberance in what?
least soluble dental material in mouth?

-fear and anxiety are-
-- psychatric disorders not paid much attention to...
-- different psychatric disorder arising from fear and anger

Incidence-----is it an estimated or absolute value

austistic child has-
has repititive behaviour
responds only when asked direct questions
down syndrome..what is major problem during treatment

iv alendronate is not given in-osteoporosis,metastatic breast cancer spread to bone
metastatic prostate cancer spread to bone,multiple myeloma

for implant to look esthetica-
1-2mm above cej of adjacent teeth,3-4 mm above cej of adjacent teeth

palatogingival fissures are where?

thanks

hi

Flexibility of a clasp arm depends on all* except. Length, taper, circumference,
depth of undercut-answer

The direction of healing of wound after extraction of tooth in mandibular arch .outward and upward, inward and down ward, etc

Blood transfusion before surgery should be done when the platelet concentration falls below. 20,000, 50,000 , 100,000 etc

beaten metal appearance on x-ray and ocular protuberance in what? craniosynostosis---i think
least soluble dental material in mouth?-
1)ceramics---pl give options

-fear and anxiety are-

austistic child has-
has repititive behaviour

iv alendronate is not given in-osteoporosis,metastatic breast cancer spread to bone

palatogingival fissures are where? -max lateral incisor

thanks

Flexibility of a clasp arm depends on all* except. Length, taper, circumference, depth of undercut,

beaten metal appearance on x-ray and ocular protuberance in what?
least soluble dental material in mouth?

-fear and anxiety are-

austistic child has-
has repititive behaviour

palatogingival fissures are where?

thanks

1.blood transfusion... when platelet count falls below 50000
2. autistic child... has repetitive behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.