NBDE Part I Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxsuzuki1000xx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the most part, which materials are you guys planning to use to study for the boards (part I)? i.e. Kaplan, Dental Decks, Old exams, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what are all the materials that's available out there? Here's a list I came up.

NBDE Study Materials.

2004 Dental Decks
Kaplan Part 1 Book ~700 pages
Kaplan Review CD
Kaplan Supplementary Tests
ASDA released tests (1977-1998) w/ answers
Ruman’s Question Bank (300 pages)
ASDA released tests (1977-1998)
Unreleased 1999 Test (rare)
Unreleased 2000 Test w/ answers
2004 Pilot Test w/ answers (400 questions)

I used old exams, decks, USMLE First Aid, and USMLE subject review books. Started with the decks. Went through them 2-3 times. Spent the rest of the time studying subjects with the USMLE material and taking practice tests. Never had access to the "unreleased" exams or pilot test so I can't really comment on them, but the official exams seemed a pretty good predictor of the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
xxsuzuki1000xx said:
Anybody know how useful the Kaplan book is?

I read a little of a friend's and didn't find it useful. It seemed too long and not condensed enough compared to USMLE review books. You want something you can read and reread quickly to memorize this information well.

I'm using the USMLE reviews, decks, and old tests. If that doesn't work i'll shoot myself. Does anyone think a month and a half is way too much time to study if my goal score is a low 80?

I think that if you do well on some practice tests, a month and a half should be more than enough time imho.

Zurik5 said:
I'm using the USMLE reviews, decks, and old tests. If that doesn't work i'll shoot myself. Does anyone think a month and a half is way too much time to study if my goal score is a low 80?
more than enuf

Have a friend in 3rd year who studied a week and scored an 82

Sweet, that's what I like to hear. I've got some triathlons lined up this summer and would much rather get ready for those, if you know what i'm saying :)

Zurik5 said:
Sweet, that's what I like to hear. I've got some triathlons lined up this summer and would much rather get ready for those, if you know what i'm saying :)

zurik, you are such a slacker, but i must say you have higher expectations than i do. i'm planning on getting the minimum pass score, whatever that is.