NBE critical care echo exam 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avi S.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Took the exam today. Glad to be done with it. I felt reasonably well prepared, but there were definitely some tricky questions in addition to several poorly designed questions that I thought had more than one correct answer. I emailed the NBE about these after the exam. Does anyone know if the NBE uses test questions on this exam?

Image quality was decent; for some questions it was very poor and the contrast adjustment feature doesn’t help much. I felt I had plenty of time and had some time leftover after each block to review the questions. Some of the abdominal / lung / trauma stuff was tricky. Actually it had a lot more trauma than I anticipated. LOTS of pericardial disease! Know this stuff cold if you’re going to take it.

My prep: started prepping in earnest in mid October 2023. Disclaimer: I am a full time pulm/CC physician in a community setting and have been in practice for 7 years. I do echo’s routinely in the ICU, probably 3-5 per shift.
- SCCM echo board review course (offered annually in November in Rosemont, IL) - attended in person, listened to all the recorded lectures 4x and did their 167 practice question twice
- read the Otto textbook of clinical echo (minus chapters on stress echo, 3D echo, intracardiac echo, etc and anything else not relevant to the exam).
- clinical echo self-assessment tool by Asher and Klein - 1000+ questions - did all the questions twice (minus irrelevant chapters) and took detailed notes. This was my main study source. Representative page from my handwritten notes below. This horrified my wife. Happy to create a PDF and share with anyone who wants it.
- read Edelman’s understanding ultrasound physics but did not do his practice questions
- critical care echo review by Chang, et al. - 1200+ questions - did them twice and incorporated some notes into the notes i took for Asher and klein
- U of Utah perioperative echo online lectures (free)

Per the NBE results will be available in 10-12 weeks.

Curious what everyone else’s experience was, and good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Congratulations!
Did you go through the process of certification, and which path did you choose or plan on choosing?

I haven't gone through certification yet. I am currently accruing my 150 cases. I will be going through the practice experience pathway. I was told that we have until December 2026 to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
took it as well.

The questions were overall WAAAY easier than I thought, but covered much more territory than I anticipated. I may have failed it because I focused my studying a little too much on US physics and memorizing formulas which was a teeeeeny part of the exam.

There were questions about the heartmate III which were very peripherally related to US at all.

I came from an EM background so most/all of the non cardiac stuff was covered in my residency training.
As for my studying, I used emedicalacademy (which was absolute garbage and a waste of money) and sccm questions which there were only 167 Qs.

part of the problem with this test is the complete lack of study materials. If anyone else is interested, i think it would be cool if someone knows how to build an app/website, we could team up on SDN and just create a Qbank, charge 10 dollars per person or whatever just to cover whatever expenses, and donate any extra money to some charity

If anyone is interested, let me know. (Assuming I passed, which is a big if)

took it as well.

The questions were overall WAAAY easier than I thought, but covered much more territory than I anticipated. I may have failed it because I focused my studying a little too much on US physics and memorizing formulas which was a teeeeeny part of the exam.

There were questions about the heartmate III which were very peripherally related to US at all.

I came from an EM background so most/all of the non cardiac stuff was covered in my residency training.
As for my studying, I used emedicalacademy (which was absolute garbage and a waste of money) and sccm questions which there were only 167 Qs.

part of the problem with this test is the complete lack of study materials. If anyone else is interested, i think it would be cool if someone knows how to build an app/website, we could team up on SDN and just create a Qbank, charge 10 dollars per person or whatever just to cover whatever expenses, and donate any extra money to some charity

If anyone is interested, let me know. (Assuming I passed, which is a big if)
Congrats on completing the exam. I don't know how to build an app or website, but I would definitely be game for contributing to your Qbank idea. I thought the critical care echo review book by chang et al. with 1200+ questions was the closest thing to the exam questions, but a lot of it is overkill.

Congrats on completing the exam. I don't know how to build an app or website, but I would definitely be game for contributing to your Qbank idea. I thought the critical care echo review book by chang et al. with 1200+ questions was the closest thing to the exam questions, but a lot of it is overkill.
I think the sccm online course + the 1200 question book is enough. But I did the basic tee exam before so I am familiar with a lot of the concepts and equations from that.

I bet everyone here passed too!