NBEO part 1: how long did you prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptoTom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who passed Boards part 1, how long did you prepare for it? I find it hard to budget time between classes, clinic and life (or the lack of). I'm taking it in March and I'm starting to get nervous because I haven't looked at KMK yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully you've started by now!! I started the Thanksgiving before my March test last year, and I got a score I was happy with. I studied all KMK, and for my worst subjects I went back to my class notes, too. If it's hard to start still, I started with the KMK flashcards. They made me realize how much I still needed to study very quickly. Haha.

There was a saying at my school 3-3-3 rule: 3 months for part I, 3 weeks for part II, 3 days for part III.

I studied only with class notes and library books for 1 month for part I and studied for maybe 30 hours for part II. But I would say the 3-3-3 rule sounds pretty reasonable for good measure. Don't get anxious, just study and do your best. The test isn't that challenging.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think KMK was a great resource-- I utilized the flashcards and practice quizzes to challenge myself

Supplementing with other sources is important too and that's great since it looks like you had other resources to study from. Since the exam is not that far away, just take a look at the KMK flashcards! They are good study refreshers :)

For those of you who passed Boards part 1, how long did you prepare for it? I find it hard to budget time between classes, clinic and life (or the lack of). I'm taking it in March and I'm starting to get nervous because I haven't looked at KMK yet.

Everyone is different, of course. For me, I prepared one month ahead of N.B.E.O., I. I subscribed to, but did not use, K.M.K., as I fast found it to be awful.

I've already taken part I, but I'm curious about why you didn't like KMK? I thought it was a really good study resource, and I can be kind of a tough critic. Not bashing, as something that works for one person might not work for another, but I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.

It's been years but I studied two to three weeks and did well. The best strategy is to apply yourself well during the first two years of school. Almost all schools will do a decent job of preparing you'd focus on that rather than Kmk or that kind of thing.

Reactions: 1 user