NBME 12 discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titan25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1 v max 1 enzyme is 300 and 2 nd 30 compare the Km values

km1 is 10 times km 2
km1 is 1/10 km2
we cant compare

2 upregulation of which protects from ARDS is IL 10

3 which anti hypertensive restores back potassium other k sparing

4 a 14 years old brougt to physian because mostly sleeping withdrawn and complaining of abdomen pain 3 weeks , what history will u take first...should we recretion drug history....options school history , devlopmental, family history

5 a drug given in two patients obese and normal given same doses graph ploted with conc on y axis and time on x , slope of normal person is greater
compared to normal person drug x in obese has

greater VD/ lower bioavailability / higher clearance/ shorter absorption

6 pedigree given four genrations AD 1st genration gene seq 4 5 6 changes to 156 cause...is it recombination

7 cytoplasmic enzyme mutated at 127 alanine replaced by serine why reduction of enzyme activity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I never heard of that before now. I have had very little dermatology instruction in my school and feel lacking in this area. I happen to have a copy of Fitzpatrick's Atlas of Dermatology on my iTouch and I found the answer in there, but could not find in Goljan RR Path or FA. Would they put a difficult one like this on the exam that no one has heard of? I suppose they do so that no one can get perfect scores.

So I just completed my NBME 12 and my score dropped a ton of points. The assessment score is what I normally get on the 3 digit usmle score....wth.

Has anyone randomly been hit like this?

A 16-year old girl comes to the physician because of worsening acne over her forehead for the past month. She began a vegetarian diet 6 months ago; she has also been craving and eating large amounts of chocolate. She currently works outside as a flag person for a local road construction company and is required to wear a helmet. Her brother received a chinchilla for a pet 2 months ago. Physical examination shows erythematous papules and pustules on the forehead. Which of the following is the most likely cause of the exacerbation of this patient's condition?

A. allergic reaction to materials used in road construction
B. allergy to the family pet
C. chocolate consumption
D. excessive sun exposure
E. vegetarian diet
F. wearing a helmet

funniest question everrrrr

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just completed my NBME 12 and my score dropped a ton of points. The assessment score is what I normally get on the 3 digit usmle score....wth.

Has anyone randomly been hit like this?

Hey GTFOOMICT, I just took NBME 12 today too.. what a blow to my confidence. A week ago I got a 232 on UWSA#2 and NBME 12 took me down to a 205! What gives?

Thanks for your help. I never heard of that before now. I have had very little dermatology instruction in my school and feel lacking in this area. I happen to have a copy of Fitzpatrick's Atlas of Dermatology on my iTouch and I found the answer in there, but could not find in Goljan RR Path or FA. Would they put a difficult one like this on the exam that no one has heard of? I suppose they do so that no one can get perfect scores.
Idk...not trying to be a douche or anything, but was that question really so difficult? Acne on forehead and just started wearing a helmet=helmet causing it....ive heard chocolate can lead to acnebut that would prob be more widespread...

As far as if they will put difficult questions on there, hell yes, haha.

Idk...not trying to be a douche or anything, but was that question really so difficult? Acne on forehead and just started wearing a helmet=helmet causing it....ive heard chocolate can lead to acnebut that would prob be more widespread...

As far as if they will put difficult questions on there, hell yes, haha.

You know what will cure acne on that girl's forehead right? :smuggrin:

I was stuck on the question too. I was seriously thinking it was the helmet, but the mere mention of the chinchilla makes me unsure. Does a chinchilla cause any pathology? In the back of my head...I was like.. this can't be a trick question.. can it?...

I was stuck on the question too. I was seriously thinking it was the helmet, but the mere mention of the chinchilla makes me unsure. Does a chinchilla cause any pathology? In the back of my head...I was like.. this can't be a trick question.. can it?...

They have some of the good old zoonotics but the question would present differently if it was an allergy or disease related to that.

Hey GTFOOMICT, I just took NBME 12 today too.. what a blow to my confidence. A week ago I got a 232 on UWSA#2 and NBME 12 took me down to a 205! What gives?

Just to chime in... YES! I rocked UWSA 1 and 2, getting in the mid 250s and NBME#12 dropped me down almost 20 points!!! I think I had to take some and absorb the shock of it all. The worst part was, I didn't think nbme 12 was TOO bad... :scared: :scared: :scared:

A 16-year old girl comes to the physician because of worsening acne over her forehead for the past month. She began a vegetarian diet 6 months ago; she has also been craving and eating large amounts of chocolate. She currently works outside as a flag person for a local road construction company and is required to wear a helmet. Her brother received a chinchilla for a pet 2 months ago. Physical examination shows erythematous papules and pustules on the forehead. Which of the following is the most likely cause of the exacerbation of this patient's condition?

C. chocolate consumption
E. vegetarian diet
F. wearing a helmet

Might be F. There is something called acne mechanica, involves repetitive skin abrasion and sweat and sebum trapping under a helmet on a hot day. As we all know, it is the sebum and anaerobic conditions that allows Propionibacterium acnes to flourish.

Above chocolate: I did read the most recent research about how chocolate can make acne worse. However, the First Aid Internal medicine book that I use made it very clear that "DIET HAS NO CORRELATION TO ACNE"

Moreover, the NBME may take a while before it incorporates new research into their questions

Edit: I am not trying to be a jerk saying this: Although I was initially floored by this question because it wasn't explicitly in any review book, upon careful thinking of the pathophysiology of acne, this question became readily apparent.

Last edited:

C. chocolate consumption
E. vegetarian diet
F. wearing a helmet

I think rule of thumb should be if a lesion ever matches the physical location of something, consider that object as your top suspect for the cause. Ie if there is a lesion only on the wrist, think watch or bracelet. If there is a lesion on the neck think necklace. Unless she is doing something bizzare with her chinchilla on her forehead, i'd say helmet is the best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
I think rule of thumb should be if a lesion ever matches the physical location of something, consider that object as your top suspect for the cause. Ie if there is a lesion only on the wrist, think watch or bracelet. If there is a lesion on the neck think necklace. Unless she is doing something bizzare with her chinchilla on her forehead, i'd say helmet is the best bet.

very good point. an allergen would be systemic

I have a few questions, guys.

(1) funky prevalence graph --> was the answer 2?
(2) pic of glomerulus stained with elastin --> was it chronic graft rejection?
(3) lost in the desert for 2 weeks --> what happens to F-2,6-BP, glucose-6-phosphatase, PEPCK, and pyruvate kinase? (arrows question)
(4) chlordiazepoxide overdose and alcohol (slow reacting pupils & decreased bowel sounds) --> what happens to PO2, PCO2, and pH?
(5) graph of insulin-stimulated vs. unstimulated (?) transport of glucose in myocytes --> which graph was correct?

I don't think these were answered yet, but I'll take a stab at it since I actually got most of these right.

(1) From what I remember I put 4, just counted the actual cases straight down the right axis (one case was continuous throughout december so it was kind of tricky)
(2) Yes elastin --> intimal hypertrophy--> chronic rejection
(3) I think this was already answered (all down arrows; Adipose stores are main source of E at 2 weeks- FA 2011, p. 113)
(4) This is Resp Depression so PO2 down, PCo2 up, pH down
(5) The graph I chose from what I remember was in the top right (I think) It showed w/o insulin very low and almost flat across and w/ insulin steep but with saturation kinetics

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to chime in... YES! I rocked UWSA 1 and 2, getting in the mid 250s and NBME#12 dropped me down almost 20 points!!! I think I had to take some and absorb the shock of it all. The worst part was, I didn't think nbme 12 was TOO bad... :scared: :scared: :scared:

I felt the same way, obviously the test did not love me back though :(

As you can see, ethics kicked my butt on this test.. an explanation with the correct answer will be much appreciated!

1) A woman, 3 mo Hx of headaches, recently moved to a women’s shelter bc her husband had been hitting her. She takes no meds. PE shows multiple bruises in different stages of healing over the face, trunk + circumferential bruising on both sides of the neck. Which statement is most appropriate to gather pertinent information from this patient?

A. “Did you bring your records from the emergency room with you?”
B. “I see some bruising on your neck. How did that happen?” <Maybe?
C. “Please demonstrate to me how this neck bruising occurred.” (WRONG)
D. “This looks like you were choked. Is that true?”
E. “What sort of device did your husband use on your neck?”

2) A 5 lb 8 oz female newborn is delivered to a woman who had no prenatal care. PE of baby shows jaundice, nasal flaring, and grunting. Labs show anemia + hyperbilirubinemia. Newborn is blood group O, Rh +, and the mother is blood group O, Rh -. Which of the following most likely mediated the transplacental transfer of the maternal factor causing this newborn’s Sx?

A. C3b
B. Fc Receptor
C. IL-2
D. a/b T-lymphocyte Receptor (WRONG) (I obviously had some convoluted thinking on this one)
E. Transferrin receptor

3) A 40 year old man, smokes 2 packs of cigarettes daily for 20 years. Which of the following initial statements by the physician is likely to be most effective in encouraging this patient to stop smoking?

A) “Do you have any relatives who died of lung cancer?”
B) “Let me show you a picture of what lungs look like after a lifetime of smoking.” <Maybe?
C) “Please tell me how I can help you to stop smoking.”
D) “Smoking causes lung cancer and many other illnesses.” (WRONG) (I figured maybe he didn't know!)
E) “What thoughts have you had about quitting smoking.”
F) “Why do you continue to smoke when it is so unhealthy?”

As you can see, ethics kicked my butt on this test.. an explanation with the correct answer will be much appreciated!

1) A woman, 3 mo Hx of headaches, recently moved to a women's shelter bc her husband had been hitting her. She takes no meds. PE shows multiple bruises in different stages of healing over the face, trunk + circumferential bruising on both sides of the neck. Which statement is most appropriate to gather pertinent information from this patient?

A. "Did you bring your records from the emergency room with you?"
B. "I see some bruising on your neck. How did that happen?" <Maybe?
C. "Please demonstrate to me how this neck bruising occurred." (WRONG)
D. "This looks like you were choked. Is that true?"
E. "What sort of device did your husband use on your neck?"

2) A 5 lb 8 oz female newborn is delivered to a woman who had no prenatal care. PE of baby shows jaundice, nasal flaring, and grunting. Labs show anemia + hyperbilirubinemia. Newborn is blood group O, Rh +, and the mother is blood group O, Rh -. Which of the following most likely mediated the transplacental transfer of the maternal factor causing this newborn's Sx?

A. C3b
B. Fc Receptor
C. IL-2
D. a/b T-lymphocyte Receptor (WRONG) (I obviously had some convoluted thinking on this one)
E. Transferrin receptor

3) A 40 year old man, smokes 2 packs of cigarettes daily for 20 years. Which of the following initial statements by the physician is likely to be most effective in encouraging this patient to stop smoking?

A) "Do you have any relatives who died of lung cancer?"
B) "Let me show you a picture of what lungs look like after a lifetime of smoking." <Maybe?
C) "Please tell me how I can help you to stop smoking."
D) "Smoking causes lung cancer and many other illnesses." (WRONG) (I figured maybe he didn't know!)
E) "What thoughts have you had about quitting smoking."
F) "Why do you continue to smoke when it is so unhealthy?"

1. B. "I see some bruising on your neck. How did that happen?"
Rule of thumb is always ask the most open ended question possible. (A) avoids the subject and all the others assume that she was abused. (C) if she was abused, asking her to demonstrate somebody choking her would be unnecessarily cruel. (B) gives her a chance to give her story without preconceived notions.

2. B. Fc Receptor
This question is just a fancy way of asking, "which of these things binds antibodies?" Only the Fc receptor does.

3. E) "What thoughts have you had about quitting smoking."
Again, most open ended questions. Don't assume that he has any knowledge at all. If you said (D), and he has been hounded by physicians his entire life about this, he will be royally pissed at you. (C) is wrong because the physician is supposed to know the plan. The others put too much pressure on the patient and border on the manipulative.

There are scenarios when you should use close ended direct to the point (possibly yes-no questions)

That is when there is a dire emergency and time is not on your side and you must get a working diagnosis

or

if the patient is talking way too much and going off on tangents

source: High Yield Behavioral Science... it's in there somewhere... in the Physician-Patient chapter.

I'm not sure where I heard this I think maybe in DIT or something. But for ethics questions, just imagine that every patient is super sensitive to all sorts of questioning. I haven't had a hard time with ethics after using that guideline! It really helps with all the nebulous ethics stuff. :thumbup:

I'm not sure where I heard this I think maybe in DIT or something. But for ethics questions, just imagine that every patient is super sensitive to all sorts of questioning. I haven't had a hard time with ethics after using that guideline! It really helps with all the nebulous ethics stuff. :thumbup:

Yep, good advice.

Moreover, after doing so many tricky physician-patient interaction questions, I have noticed that the best way to answer this question is to put yourself into the patient's shoes and understand the patient's agenda.

Unless it is unethical or causes an autonomy vs maleficience issue for the doctor, then go ahead and follow the patient's agenda.

20 y/o female who ingested a ton of acetaminophen after her boyfriend broke up with her (she had only been on 2 dates with him). She said "I loved him more than anything in my life. I was going to marry him. Now I hate his guts." She tells the physician "You're the only one who has understood how I feel." What's the personality disorder?

Answer choices: borderline, dependent, histrionic, narcissistic, obsessive-compulsive

This Q was posted in the prev page and someone said the ans is borderline. Why is it not histrionic?

This Q was posted in the prev page and someone said the ans is borderline. Why is it not histrionic?

It certainly still could be in a real patient but we'd need more information from the patient. If they started getting super duper emotional or sexual then that would point in that direction. Right now, all the evidence points towards borderline due to quick switches in mood/opinions/relationships and black/white thinking.

Someone help me on this one:

Experiment measuring right coronary blood flow, when is the maximum flow?

A) Early diastole
B) Early systole
C) Late diastole
D) Late systole

I put "late diastole" and it was wrong. Is it "early diastole"? This seemed like a very easy question :(

Someone help me on this one:

Experiment measuring right coronary blood flow, when is the maximum flow?

A) Early diastole
B) Early systole
C) Late diastole
D) Late systole

I put "late diastole" and it was wrong. Is it "early diastole"? This seemed like a very easy question :(

Its early diastole. Think about when the pressure at the base of the aorta is highest. It is during early diastole before the pressure has a chance to be distributed to the rest of the vasculature.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Not sure what I was thinking.

Its early diastole. Think about when the pressure at the base of the aorta is highest. It is during early diastole before the pressure has a chance to be distributed to the rest of the vasculature.

20 y/o female who ingested a ton of acetaminophen after her boyfriend broke up with her (she had only been on 2 dates with him). She said “I loved him more than anything in my life. I was going to marry him. Now I hate his guts.” She tells the physician “You’re the only one who has understood how I feel.” What’s the personality disorder?

Answer choices: borderline, dependent, histrionic, narcissistic, obsessive-compulsive

Going from love to hate is very two faced. Moreover, unstable relationships and self-mutiliation are hallmarks of borderline.

A histrionic patient would be one who "has to be the life of the party and the center of the universe."

They tend to be very seductive and talkative.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Not sure what I was thinking.

I was thinking late diastole, because the flow through the coronary circulation will depend on the resistance in the small vessels. While the heart is still relaxing, the microvasculature is more compressed so you think the flow would be lower... I think this is just a "memorization" type of question, since it's not intuitive to decide whether perfusion pressure or vascular resistance plays the bigger role at any point in time.

On another note: why would we expect inspiratory wheezes in asthma? I thought you got expiratory wheezes, and I thought something like bronchitis would give you both inspiratory and expiratory wheezes.

Also, how should the woman spend her million dollars to prevent sudden cardiac death? I thought it was smoking prevention, since smoking is a huge risk factor and it's a popular USMLE answer. I guess the results aren't fast enough. Someone told me the answer was place external defibrillators around town, but I found a bunch of research that external defibrillators actually don't decrease sudden cardiac death mortality... If anything, I'd think the other justifiable answer was the statin.

Also, how should the woman spend her million dollars to prevent sudden cardiac death? I thought it was smoking prevention, since smoking is a huge risk factor and it's a popular USMLE answer. I guess the results aren't fast enough. Someone told me the answer was place external defibrillators around town, but I found a bunch of research that external defibrillators actually don't decrease sudden cardiac death mortality... If anything, I'd think the other justifiable answer was the statin.

yep it was the defib

Recall, the MCC of sudden cardiac death is ventricular tachycardia (or another arrythmia)

There was a World question on this...

some of these questions are complete bull****! I can't believe it, I hope the real test isn't like this. For 5 different questions now I've 100% verified multiple correct answers from a variety of sources, and their answers on some of the behavioral sciences questions are ******ed

some of these questions are complete bull****! I can't believe it, I hope the real test isn't like this. For 5 different questions now I've 100% verified multiple correct answers from a variety of sources, and their answers on some of the behavioral sciences questions are ******ed

You remind me of a classmate of mine...

which ones?

40 YO man allergic to grass has basophils taken out of peripheral blood, and incubated with anti-IgE Antibodies. What substance will be present after 1 minute?
Histamine, Leukotriene C4, D4, Major basic protein, prostaglandin D2?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but i saw some confusion about this on an earlier page, and thought I'd give it a shot:

If you removed basophils from blood and incubated with anti-IgE, this should effectively cause degranulation of the basophils, and thus cause histamine release. I would think you could assume that the anti-IgE used here would bind to exposed portions of Fc receptor-bound IgE and effectively promote cross-linking and a signal cascade for degranulation.

Omalizumab, an anti-IgE antibody, binds only to Fc portions of IgE, and prevents degranulation by preventing binding of IgE to mast cells and basophils. This drug would have little effect at reducing histamine release of basophils that already have large quantities of IgE bound to high affinity receptors. Since in this question they're isolating basophils from the blood and adding anti-IgE, I think they're just checking to see if you know histamine is released from basophils, and that you recognize that an anti-IgE antibody directly at bound IgE will cause degranulation. I don't think this question has anything to do with therapeutic anti-IgEs such as omalizumab that bind Fc of free IgE.

I have to ask this eventhough it shows I have no reading comprehension skills. I saw the explanation on the first page but it makes no sense to me. Does anayone remember the question with

ATGGATGACGAGTA...etc for B-thal. They were like where would the change occur...it just doesn't make sense. How do you go about answering that question? I saw in Goljan that it can be caused by a nonsense mutation but when I had picked a strand that would have that it showed up as wrong. Can someone please help me??????:confused:

which ones?

Mainly the opinion questions (behavioral sci, the million dollar cardiac death question, etc) where I saw differing information from "professionals". I wasn't writing them down because I though they were bologna questions anyway. As far as the science questions go, it's tough to say because I'm not 100% sure what the right answers are supposed to be, but I think my key is bogus for about 2-4% of the questions

I have to ask this eventhough it shows I have no reading comprehension skills. I saw the explanation on the first page but it makes no sense to me. Does anayone remember the question with

ATGGATGACGAGTA...etc for B-thal. They were like where would the change occur...it just doesn't make sense. How do you go about answering that question? I saw in Goljan that it can be caused by a nonsense mutation but when I had picked a strand that would have that it showed up as wrong. Can someone please help me??????:confused:

I thought the same thing! the bull**** about that question was that they grouped the bases in sets of 10, so you couldn't tell if you were looking at a codon or not (i.e. AAA AUA AAT versus A AAA UAA AT). Also, it was like you had to imagine it backwards or something since you had to think about the RNA and not the DNA

If I remember correctly, the mutation would occur at the boundary of the intron/exon such that intron splicing would be messed up. Am I thinking of the right question?

There was another question involving interpreting a chain of nucleotides somewhere but I can't remember any more specifics about it now. I think that one involved looking for a early stop codon or something like that.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing! the bull**** about that question was that they grouped the bases in sets of 10, so you couldn't tell if you were looking at a codon or not (i.e. AAA AUA AAT versus A AAA UAA AT). Also, it was like you had to imagine it backwards or something since you had to think about the RNA and not the DNA

Beta thalassemia is due to a splice site mutation or due to a promoter sequence mutation (straight from First Aid)

G to U (or whatever it was) at Base Pair 240 something was the answer because it was on the edge of Exon 1 and Intron 1

Beta thalassemia is due to a splice site mutation or due to a promoter sequence mutation (straight from First Aid)

G to U (or whatever it was) at Base Pair 240 something was the answer because it was on the edge of Exon 1 and Intron 1

Okay, this is what gets me. How could you tell where the exon ended and where the intron began? Did I miss something? I knew the sequence began at 157 and ended at 1577 and they had sequences in bold in between. Were those the introns? I just keep thinking did I get hit by a bus the day the biochem professor was talking about this?

Okay, this is what gets me. How could you tell where the exon ended and where the intron began? Did I miss something? I knew the sequence began at 157 and ended at 1577 and they had sequences in bold in between. Were those the introns? I just keep thinking did I get hit by a bus the day the biochem professor was talking about this?

oh no no bus..

it's just that the stem mentioned the bolded segments represented exons. THat's all.

Anyway, to throw a monkey wrench into this, rapid review path says Beta Thalassemia MAJOR is due to a frameshift... so there you go...

This question must have been referring to the minor though base don the wording

oh no no bus..

it's just that the stem mentioned the bolded segments represented exons. THat's all.

Anyway, to throw a monkey wrench into this, rapid review path says Beta Thalassemia MAJOR is due to a frameshift... so there you go...

This question must have been referring to the minor though base don the wording

OMG, this just proves I can't read. Should I really be reading first aid or should I stick to hooked on phonics and then work my way up? Son of a gun! Thanks man, this makes so much more sense now. Wow this question should have been easy.

OMG, this just proves I can't read. Should I really be reading first aid or should I stick to hooked on phonics and then work my way up? Son of a gun! Thanks man, this makes so much more sense now. Wow this question should have been easy.

Just take it slow... but not too slow (because people who've taken the test tell me some stems are up to 10 lines long with lots of distractors)

Just take it slow... but not too slow (because people who've taken the test tell me some stems are up to 10 lines long with lots of distractors)

Thanks man. I am going to make sure I do that. I usually speed through and have 30 minutes left on a Uworld block so I should just slow down and use that time.

2 month old mice vs. 2 year old mice; decreased response to Chlamydiophila pneumoniae in the older. What is the age related change that caused this decreased response?
B cells, macrophages, neutrophils, plasma cells, t cells

2 month old mice vs. 2 year old mice; decreased response to Chlamydiophila pneumoniae in the older. What is the age related change that caused this decreased response?

I believe t cells is the right answer. I can't remember, but I believe they are the only ones that have regulatory cells that can tone down the immune response. Correct me oh Gods of SDN if I have misspoketh.

I believe it was T cells because Chlaymdia/Chalmydophila are intracellular bugs

I only remember this cause I took it yesterday online with feedback. T cells is the right answer.

I was debating between T cells and macrophages (also involved in intracellular killing no?) but went with the "higher yield" answer.

Nevermind, I just found the answer posted earlier:
"Using trace metals as the control group, it would have been

2.3% - 1.3% = 1.0% absolute risk reduction

Then 1/0.01 = 100"

Thanks. Next up is a NNT one, I had no idea how to figure out.
4753 nulliparous women randomized into folate & trace mineral supplement groups. In both groups, 88% of women had pregnancies ending in live birth, late fetal death, still birth, or termination of pregnancy after dx of a defect.
How many nulliparous women with confirmed pregnancies would have to be treated with folic acid to prevent one congenital anomaly

Neural tube defects: Folic acid- 0% Trace- 0.29%
all congenital anomalies: Folic acid- 1.3% Trace- 2.3%

Last edited: