NBME 12 q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Master Deep

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a question about a 29 yo man who has problems with premature ejaculation. And they wanted to know what drug to give him
A Atropine
B Cyproheptadine
C Paroxtine
D Sidenafil
E Trazodone

Members don't see this ad.

Paroxetine which would cause sexual dysfunction and anorgasmia (actually beneficial in a premature ejaculator)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. an experiment is designed to study the differences between 2 tissue specific isozymes of a particular enzyme. the vmax of the enzyme 1 is 300. vmax of E2 is 30. Which of the following km values for enzyme 1 and 2 is more accurate?

a. Km can't be predicted solely by the value of vmax.
b. The Km for enzyme 1 and E2 will differ but can't be quantified for given data
c. Km for E1 is 1/10 of E2
d. Km for E1 is 10x more than E2
e. They are the same

2. A 70 yr old man comes to the physican with his wife becasue of a 6 month history of abnormal behavior during sleep. his wife says he suddenly punches the air and yells as if he were acting out his dreams but he doesnt wake up. As a result of his agitation he has fallen on the floor several times. Neuro exam - no abnormalities. Which of the following additional findings is most liekly in this pt

A. Absent muscle atonia during REM
B. Anterior cingulate mass lesion
C Evidence of major depressive disorder
D. Left temporal spikes on EEG
E Nocturnal hypoglycemia

3. A 24yo woman is brought to ER by roommate cause of vomiting for 4 hrs. Also has 2day history of fatigue adn dizziness on standing. severe heartburn past 3 months. Antacids help provide relief. Pulse 110, RR 25, BP 95/70, Physical exam shows marked pallor, Hb 6 and Hct is 18. What is decreased in this patient?

a. alveolar Po2
b. arterial O2 carrying capacity
c. Arterial oxyhemoglobin saturation
d. arterial p50
e. arterial Po2

4. The graph shows the mean steady state plasma concetration of Drug X as a funx of time in a subject hwo has normal weight and a subject who is obese. Both sub take 10mg Drug X daily. Which best describes the dispostion of Drug X in the obese patient compared to patient with normal weight. The graph shows the normal weight person curve having a higher plasma concetration in a faster time than the obese

A. Greater vol of distribution
B. Higher clearance
C. Lower bioavailability
D. Slower absorption rate
E shorter half life
- can you please explain this. I suck at these pharm graphs. thanks!

5.Brain image. 55 yo main unconcious in ER. Collapsed while shoveling snow. He had tingling and weakness in left upper and lower extremities before he lost conciousness. Babinksi sign in present on left. What is strongest predisposing factor

A. Chol plaques
B. Cigarette smoking
C. DVT
D. Hypertension
E. Vasculitis

6. A 65 yo woman with sensorinueral hearing loss undergoes surgical placement of a cochlear implant. This neural prosthesis converts sound energy to electrical signals which results in stimulation of which of the following structures.

A. Auditory nerve endings in cochlea
B. Cochlear nerve as it enters the pons
C. Inner hair cells of cochlea
D. Olivocochlear effect axons that innervate outer hair cells
E. Oval window of the cochlea

7. A 35 yo man comes to the physican because of tremor of 6 wks. 15 yr history of schizo treated with haloperidol. He has bradkykinia etc ..parkinson sx. Haloperidol is discontinued and tx with aripiprazole is started becaue it has a decreased likeleihood of causing the same adverse effects. which of the following types of interaction with the dopamine receptor best explains this decreased likelihood?

A Agonism
B. Antagonism
C. Inverse agonism
D. Irrevrseible antagonism
E. partial agonism

8. A 70 yo womans husband dies of cardiac arrest. She wants to donate 1 mil to a small citys department of public heath to decrease th num of sudden cardiac deaths. She asks physican to recommend the most effective way to put this money to use. She says " i want to see results of my donation over the next 1-2 years" The patient is most likely to accomplish her goal if she contributes to which of the folowing

A. Creation of antismoking campagin
B. Creation of citywide aerobic exercise program
C. Fortifcation of water supply iwth aspirin
D. Placement of external automatic defibrillators in public areas
E. Provision of hmg coa inhibs
F. provision of free relaxation and stress management prgms

This took foreverr to type. So any input will help! Thanksss

1. an experiment is designed to study the differences between 2 tissue specific isozymes of a particular enzyme. the vmax of the enzyme 1 is 300. vmax of E2 is 30. Which of the following km values for enzyme 1 and 2 is more accurate?

b. The Km for enzyme 1 and E2 will differ but can't be quantified for given data
e. They are the same

2. A 70 yr old man comes to the physican with his wife becasue of a 6 month history of abnormal behavior during sleep. his wife says he suddenly punches the air and yells as if he were acting out his dreams but he doesnt wake up. As a result of his agitation he has fallen on the floor several times. Neuro exam - no abnormalities. Which of the following additional findings is most liekly in this pt

E Nocturnal hypoglycemia

3. A 24yo woman is brought to ER by roommate cause of vomiting for 4 hrs. Also has 2day history of fatigue adn dizziness on standing. severe heartburn past 3 months. Antacids help provide relief. Pulse 110, RR 25, BP 95/70, Physical exam shows marked pallor, Hb 6 and Hct is 18. What is decreased in this patient?

a. alveolar Po2
d. arterial p50
e. arterial Po2

4. The graph shows the mean steady state plasma concetration of Drug X as a funx of time in a subject hwo has normal weight and a subject who is obese. Both sub take 10mg Drug X daily. Which best describes the dispostion of Drug X in the obese patient compared to patient with normal weight. The graph shows the normal weight person curve having a higher plasma concetration in a faster time than the obese

A. Greater vol of distribution
B. Higher clearance
C. Lower bioavailability
D. Slower absorption rate
E shorter half life
- can you please explain this. I suck at these pharm graphs. thanks!

5.Brain image. 55 yo main unconcious in ER. Collapsed while shoveling snow. He had tingling and weakness in left upper and lower extremities before he lost conciousness. Babinksi sign in present on left. What is strongest predisposing factor

A. Chol plaques
B. Cigarette smoking
C. DVT
D. Hypertension
E. Vasculitis

6. A 65 yo woman with sensorinueral hearing loss undergoes surgical placement of a cochlear implant. This neural prosthesis converts sound energy to electrical signals which results in stimulation of which of the following structures.

A. Auditory nerve endings in cochlea
B. Cochlear nerve as it enters the pons
C. Inner hair cells of cochlea
D. Olivocochlear effect axons that innervate outer hair cells
E. Oval window of the cochlea

7. A 35 yo man comes to the physican because of tremor of 6 wks. 15 yr history of schizo treated with haloperidol. He has bradkykinia etc ..parkinson sx. Haloperidol is discontinued and tx with aripiprazole is started becaue it has a decreased likeleihood of causing the same adverse effects. which of the following types of interaction with the dopamine receptor best explains this decreased likelihood?

A Agonism
B. Antagonism
C. Inverse agonism
D. Irrevrseible antagonism
E. partial agonism

8. A 70 yo womans husband dies of cardiac arrest. She wants to donate 1 mil to a small citys department of public heath to decrease th num of sudden cardiac deaths. She asks physican to recommend the most effective way to put this money to use. She says " i want to see results of my donation over the next 1-2 years" The patient is most likely to accomplish her goal if she contributes to which of the folowing

A. Creation of antismoking campagin
B. Creation of citywide aerobic exercise program
C. Fortifcation of water supply iwth aspirin
D. Placement of external automatic defibrillators in public areas
E. Provision of hmg coa inhibs
F. provision of free relaxation and stress management prgms

This took foreverr to type. So any input will help! Thanksss
quick read through but these should be right

1. A - can't predict Km based on Vmax
2. B - this is called REM sleep behavior disorder
3. B - iron deficiency anemia due to bleeding from an ulcer
4. A - obese people have a higher volume of distribution, because there is more volume to distribute in
5. D - hypertension is the biggest risk factor for a ruptured intercerebral aneurysm
6. A
7. E - aripiprazole is a partial agnoist
8 not sure!! i missed this one and i put anti-smoking campaign

For question 3, if you end up with metabolic alkalosis due to vomiting, and respiratory acidosis, you will have lower arterial PO2 and higher arterial CO2 per goljan.

2. B - this is called REM sleep behavior disorder
4. A - obese people have a higher volume of distribution, because there is more volume to distribute in
5. D - hypertension is the biggest risk factor for a ruptured intercerebral aneurysm
6. A

All of the above are correct (except #2 see below), good job.

8 is D) the defibrillator locations, remember she wants immediate results. They said "sudden cardiac death" which was one hint (think arrythmia's right after MI), smoking campaigns etc. would all take more than 1-2 years to see changes in deaths from MI (I think it takes 5-10 y to become equal to the risk of a non-smoker, not sure on the stat. but pretty sure on the logic).

Last edited:
thank you anothermember!

All of the above are correct, good job.

8 is D) the defibrillator locations, remember she wants immediate results. They said "sudden cardiac death" which was one hint (think arrythmia's right after MI), smoking campaigns etc. would all take more than 1-2 years to see changes in deaths from MI (I think it takes 5-10 y to become equal to the risk of a non-smoker, not sure on the stat. but pretty sure on the logic).

can you please explain these... i thought km is one half of vmax? or is that wrong? also the cingulate gyrus one?

For question 3, if you end up with metabolic alkalosis due to vomiting, and respiratory acidosis, you will have lower arterial PO2 and higher arterial CO2 per goljan.

im pretty sure i put lower arterial P02 and got it wrong!

a. alveolar Po2
d. arterial p50
e. arterial Po2

Marked pallor, with an Hb of 6 and Hct of 18 is a huge clue, if hemoglobin is lowered then by definition the arterial carrying capacity of O2 is lowered. Notice they did not say the carrying capacity of Hb (because that would be fixed for each molecule). The partial pressures will stay the same in this scenario which takes out the other answers, except for C, the explanation for C is that since the person is vomiting--loss of HCl--metabolic alkalosis--increase in pH --actually would cause less H+ and less salt bridges thus not favoring the T (taut) state and favoring the R (relaxed) state thus increasing the arterial Hb saturation (not decreasing).

Oxyhaemoglobin_dissociation_curve.png

thank you anothermember!

can you please explain these... i thought km is one half of vmax? or is that wrong? also the cingulate gyrus one?

im pretty sure i put lower arterial P02 and got it wrong!

Originally Posted by Master Deep

e. They are the same

E Nocturnal hypoglycemia

Woops. The OP actually has #2 wrong and I just glazed over it without paying close attention. He still did a good job with the rest.

#1) The Km is the substrate concentration at 1/2 Vmax. So basically it is just a constant to allow you, the researcher, to analyze the affinity of an enzyme or reaction. Since you need both the Y and X axis'es in order to have a slope you will need the substrate concentrations in order to determine Vmax.

Michaelis-Menten_saturation_curve_of_an_enzyme_reaction.svg

Example: Hexokinase may have a Vmax of 200, whereas Fructokinase may have the same Vmax (for whatever reason, due to saturation, structural similarities, etc.) but they could very well (and I don't know if this is the case, just an example) have very different affinities and therefore a very different slope of the curve. Imagine if it was nearly a linear slope vs. another one which is a lot less rise/run --both can still have the same plateau. Hope that helps!

#2)
It's loss of atonia for sure. From Wiki: Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder (RBD) is a sleep disorder (more specifically a parasomnia) that involves abnormal behavior during the sleep phase with rapid eye movement (REM sleep). It was first described in 1986.
The major and arguably only abnormal feature of RBD is loss of muscle atonia (paralysis) during otherwise intact REM sleep.

Woops. The OP actually has #2 wrong and I just glazed over it without paying close attention. He still did a good job with the rest.

#1) The Km is the substrate concentration at 1/2 Vmax. So basically it is just a constant to allow you, the researcher, to analyze the affinity of an enzyme or reaction. Since you need both the Y and X axis'es in order to have a slope you will need the substrate concentrations in order to determine Vmax.

Michaelis-Menten_saturation_curve_of_an_enzyme_reaction.svg

Example: Hexokinase may have a Vmax of 200, whereas Fructokinase may have the same Vmax (for whatever reason, due to saturation, structural similarities, etc.) but they could very well (and I don't know if this is the case, just an example) have very different affinities and therefore a very different slope of the curve. Imagine if it was nearly a linear slope vs. another one which is a lot less rise/run --both can still have the same plateau. Hope that helps!

#2)
It's loss of atonia for sure. From Wiki: Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder (RBD) is a sleep disorder (more specifically a parasomnia) that involves abnormal behavior during the sleep phase with rapid eye movement (REM sleep). It was first described in 1986.
The major and arguably only abnormal feature of RBD is loss of muscle atonia (paralysis) during otherwise intact REM sleep.

THANK YOUUUU! you guys are so smart here on SDN! lol Ok the only thing i want to say is that i thought it was a night terror which usually happens in Stage 4 sleep i think, so if it is that i looked up night terrors and it says some link to hypoglycemia? Could this be the answer?

THANK YOUUUU! you guys are so smart here on SDN! lol Ok the only thing i want to say is that i thought it was a night terror which usually happens in Stage 4 sleep i think, so if it is that i looked up night terrors and it says some link to hypoglycemia? Could this be the answer?

The catch is always "most likely" :)

I put atonia and didn't miss it also if you want to be sure that was the correct answer.

Good luck!

2. A - this is called REM sleep behavior disorder
6. A

My bad. That was a typo! Definitely A.

The catch is always "most likely" :)

I put atonia and didn't miss it also if you want to be sure that was the correct answer.

Good luck!

Ok nkhan... i have oneeeee more q. last one i promise lol

An investigator is conducting an experiment on the physiologic resposne to agnonist mediated receptor activation. which of the following classes of drug receptors is most liekly to trigger the fastest measureable physiologic response
A. G protein coupled receptor ( i think this is the answers but need explanation)
B. Intracellular steroid receptor
C. Ligand coupled ion channel receptor
D. Receptor tyrosine kinases.

Also did you take NBME 7? Is it as hard as NBME 11/12? I thought NBME 11/12 were pretty difficult, but i guess thats mostly cuz i suck at timing and run out of time at the end of each block. Im taking it this saturday (only 4 days before my test and dont want to depress myself if i get lower than 228. So just want to know what to expect so i can be prepared. can i expect a higher score on 7?
Thanks nkhan! if u havent taken ur test yet, im sure ull get a 290 :)

Ok nkhan... i have oneeeee more q. last one i promise lol

An investigator is conducting an experiment on the physiologic resposne to agnonist mediated receptor activation. which of the following classes of drug receptors is most liekly to trigger the fastest measureable physiologic response
A. G protein coupled receptor ( i think this is the answers but need explanation)
B. Intracellular steroid receptor
C. Ligand coupled ion channel receptor
D. Receptor tyrosine kinases.

Also did you take NBME 7? Is it as hard as NBME 11/12? I thought NBME 11/12 were pretty difficult, but i guess thats mostly cuz i suck at timing and run out of time at the end of each block. Im taking it this saturday (only 4 days before my test and dont want to depress myself if i get lower than 228. So just want to know what to expect so i can be prepared. can i expect a higher score on 7?
Thanks nkhan! if u havent taken ur test yet, im sure ull get a 290 :)

Should be C). Intracellular--takes time for transcription, GPCR has to go through a secondary cascade in order to activate transcription (ie. cAMP--PKA--activity, etc.) Same for receptor tyrosine kinases. Ligand coupled ion channels would instantly be activated and can for instance cause depolarization/hyperpolarization--immediate effects.

I thought 7 was pretty on par with what I made on 11/12. One test doesn't give you enough grounds to get depressed either, just look at as you won't miss the q's you would have missed had you not taken and reviewed them :)

e. They are the same

Can someone explain why 'B' is wrong here, especially since we are dealing with two Isoenzymes. Wouldnt that mean that they would have different affinities?

a. alveolar Po2
d. arterial p50
e. arterial Po2

Marked pallor, with an Hb of 6 and Hct of 18 is a huge clue, if hemoglobin is lowered then by definition the arterial carrying capacity of O2 is lowered. Notice they did not say the carrying capacity of Hb (because that would be fixed for each molecule). The partial pressures will stay the same in this scenario which takes out the other answers, except for C, the explanation for C is that since the person is vomiting--loss of HCl--metabolic alkalosis--increase in pH --actually would cause less H+ and less salt bridges thus not favoring the T (taut) state and favoring the R (relaxed) state thus increasing the arterial Hb saturation (not decreasing).

Oxyhaemoglobin_dissociation_curve.png

ok i reread this q since im studying resp right now. Im confused again.
You are saying its not C right?
Also i understand her Hb is low and thats why it would be B, but also shes in met alkalosis which means she has lower H+, and it says in my FA that you have decreased P50. So why is D also not the correct answer.
Also could you explain why the Arterial carrying capacity is decreased (not just that its the definition of lower Hb) Is it because you have less Hb so less 02 to bind and deliver to the tissues? I think im freaking out and confusing myself right before the test.

ok i reread this q since im studying resp right now. Im confused again.
You are saying its not C right?
Also i understand her Hb is low and thats why it would be B, but also shes in met alkalosis which means she has lower H+, and it says in my FA that you have decreased P50. So why is D also not the correct answer.
Also could you explain why the Arterial carrying capacity is decreased (not just that its the definition of lower Hb) Is it because you have less Hb so less 02 to bind and deliver to the tissues? I think im freaking out and confusing myself right before the test.

Sorry for the delay--was taking boards yesterday!

The problem with your response is that yes, she does have lower H+ (alkalosis) but remember that means HIGHER pH= (-log(H+)). Higher pH would decrease the P50 and thus raise the affinity for oxygen of Hb. --->Higher Saturation (not decreased as in the answer choice)

Lower p50 means that it takes LESS molecules of oxygen floating around (kinetics part of it) in order to reach 50% saturation (and later reach vmax)--thus the enzyme/molecule has a higher affinity.

Last edited: