nbme 13 calcium/sarc reticulum question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abelabbot

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get the physiology behind this…But I see two different interpretations for this based on discussions posted online…..i think the answer is A, the one with 1 hz, altho its a low frequency, the fact there is contrations + has spaces (meaning calcium gets sequestered back into the sarc reticulum) its therefore the answer….

The last choice with 12 hz and one major contraction looks like tetanus…Am I correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I get the physiology behind this…But I see two different interpretations for this based on discussions posted online…..i think the answer is A, the one with 1 hz, altho its a low frequency, the fact there is contrations + has spaces (meaning calcium gets sequestered back into the sarc reticulum) its therefore the answer….

The last choice with 12 hz and one major contraction looks like tetanus…Am I correct?

Yeah the answer was 1 Hz. I'm not sure if this was all there was to it, but this was my logic:
Lower frequency --> Fewer voltage-gated Ca2+ opening events --> Less Ca2+ released from sarcoplasmic reticulum --> More Ca2+ left in sarcoplasmic reticulum (more sequestered)

Not sure if 12 Hz was any particular pathology, but calling it tetanus seems feasible. Anything that increases ACh at the Nm receptor too, I would imagine.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome thank you! Yes I didn't even think of that point…the fact that lower frequency would mean fewer voltage gated ca channels will open up.