NBME 13 discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ijn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we allowed to talk about this topic? There's a NBME 12 discussion that has a lot of full questions posted but there are sticky posts that seem to say don't talk about the NBMEs. Thank you for any clarification!

Members don't see this ad.

i had one Q that hasnt been covered yet:

32 yo has had generalized band-like headaches and dizziness almost every day for the past 6 months. physical and CT of head are normal. Which of the following is more consistent with hypochondriasis rather than undifferentiated somatoform disorder
A. disproportionate fear of serious disease
B. frequent health care visits
C. past history of unexplained symptoms
D. persistence of symptoms longer than 6 months
E. presence of depressive symptoms
A. That is basically the definition of hypochondriac

A 22 yo woment comes to the physician 3 months after she noticed a painless slowly enlarging mass on the left side of her neck. PE shows a freely mobile soft cystic mass with a cutaneous surface opening. the physicial explain that it is from incomplete fusion during embryo development. which of the following is the most likely location of the opening of the duct leading to the mass of the pt?
a. ant. to the sternocleidomastoid muscle
b. midline of the neck
c. postauricular
d. pos. to the parotid gland
e. submental

Couldn't figure this out. Can anybody help me? Thanks

(Sorry if it was already posted, but I couldn't find it myself when I searched.)

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is C. Some gyno is normal during puberty in males due to the hormones. Its somewhere in goljan, and he mentions it in lectures.. Its one of the three times where gyno is normal in males.

The reason is that when boys hit puberty, they have TONS of testosterone hanging around... so much that some of it gets converted to estrogen peripherally, thus giving them gynecomastia for a while.

The reason is that when boys hit puberty, they have TONS of testosterone hanging around... so much that some of it gets converted to estrogen peripherally, thus giving them gynecomastia for a while.
Correct. Similar to PCOS = hyperandrogenemia -> aromatization -> elevated estrogen levels.

A retrospective study is conducted to assess the incidence of subarachnoid hemorrhage. The annual incidence is 15 per 100,000 and the case fatality rate is 40%. Annual mortality rate per 100,000 is:

A) 0.4* 15
B) 0.4* 100,000
C)0.6* 15
D)0.6* 100,000

I think the answer is C, please help me here.

A retrospective study is conducted to assess the incidence of subarachnoid hemorrhage. The annual incidence is 15 per 100,000 and the case fatality rate is 40%. Annual mortality rate per 100,000 is:

A) 0.4* 15
B) 0.4* 100,000
C)0.6* 15
D)0.6* 100,000

I think the answer is C, please help me here.

case fatality rate = (# deaths from cause)/(# persons with the cause)

so case fatality rate = .4 in this case
The incidence rate is 15 = 15 people every year get subarachnoid hemorrhages, & of those 15, 40% end up dying

so plug in the info from the above equation

.4 = (# deaths from cause)/15 --> do the algebra --> # deaths from cause = .4x 15

someone confrim my math please lol

[Originally Posted by tele turnin
A 5-year-old girl is brought to the physician because of listlessness, fatigue, and dull pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. Her height and weight are below the 25th percentile. Laboratory findings indicate that the content of her β-globin chain is 15% to 20% of normal. Sequencing of the β-globin gene shows a point mutation in a sequence 3′ to the coding region in which AATAAA is converted to AACAAA. Consequently, the amount of mRNA for β-globin is decreased to 10% of normal. Which of the following functions in mRNA synthesis and processing is most likely encoded by the sequence AATAAA?

a) capping with GTP
b) cleavage and polyadenlyation
c) silencing the promoter
d) splicing of the initial mRNA transcript in the nucleus
e) transport of the mRNA out of the nucleus

B. It's the polyadenylation sequence. Pg. 75 in FA.QUOTE=VisionaryTics;12590851]B. It's the polyadenylation sequence. Pg. 75 in FA.[/QUOTE]

I see why this is the answer but doesnt polyadenylation protect and help get mRna out of the nucleus to the cytoplasm?

Also, why would Cushings cause adrenal cortex hyperplasia rather than adrenal cortex hypertrophy?

It's just what happens when ACTH levels are high. Glands aren't stuck in G0 like cardiac muscle so they can enlarge by cell division.

A good way to remember is that there's a disease is called congenital adrenal hyperplasia, not congenital adrenal hypertrophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just what happens when ACTH levels are high. Glands aren't stuck in G0 like cardiac muscle so they can enlarge by cell division.

A good way to remember is that there's a disease is called congenital adrenal hyperplasia, not congenital adrenal hypertrophy.

haha I thought of that and thats exactly why i chose hypertrophy instead..oops

A 22 yo woment comes to the physician 3 months after she noticed a painless slowly enlarging mass on the left side of her neck. PE shows a freely mobile soft cystic mass with a cutaneous surface opening. the physicial explain that it is from incomplete fusion during embryo development. which of the following is the most likely location of the opening of the duct leading to the mass of the pt?
a. ant. to the sternocleidomastoid muscle
b. midline of the neck
c. postauricular
d. pos. to the parotid gland
e. submental

Couldn't figure this out. Can anybody help me? Thanks

(Sorry if it was already posted, but I couldn't find it myself when I searched.)

Okay, so I know this question has been covered and the general concensis is that "A" is correct. But WHY?
I know that this is a branchial cyst, which is located anterior to the SCM, but isn't the question asking where the cyst would open? If so, I thought it opened as a fistula postauricular or anterior to the parotid gland.

Can anyone explain this?

6 weeks out NBME 12: 226

this scared me

2 weeks out NBME 13: 242

UW once 76% cumulative average.

just doing pathoma (again), Uworld, First aid, NBMEs and Rx.

any insight from those who took 13 already?

much appreciated

also: anyone have this pattern on this exam?
section 1: 7 wrong
section 2: 8 wrong
section 3: 7 wrong
section 4: 3 (i was really tired here and forgot there were four sections to these nbmes)

Last edited:
hi everyone! can someone help me with this question?

A 39 yo woman w/ end stage renal disease by sle undergoes Kidney transplantation. And despite inmunosupressive therapy, it is rejected. Biopsy: numerous infiltrating CD8. Most likely cause:
a) ab synthesis (so this is the answer??? FA 215 MHCi)
b) complement activation
c) direct cytotoxicity (i thought it was this.. but its not an acute rejection right? and immunosupresive are not working...so its a chronic one)
d) histamine release
e) nitric oxide production

Thanks in advance ...

hi everyone! can someone help me with this question?

A 39 yo woman w/ end stage renal disease by sle undergoes Kidney transplantation. And despite inmunosupressive therapy, it is rejected. Biopsy: numerous infiltrating CD8. Most likely cause:
a) ab synthesis (so this is the answer??? FA 215 MHCi)
b) complement activation
c) direct cytotoxicity (i thought it was this.. but its not an acute rejection right? and immunosupresive are not working...so its a chronic one)
d) histamine release
e) nitric oxide production

Thanks in advance ...

It's direct cytotoxicity.

Yeah. If they have oral herpes, the answer would be trigeminal ganglion. If they have genital herpes, then it's the the sacral level DRGs. VZV is also a human herpes virus and acts in a very similar manner in that it lies dormant in dorsal root ganglion.

The question is essentially asking what downstream effects are prevented. The receptor component is not mutated so the ligand will interact with the receptor. Only the kinase part is mutated. The direct downstream effect of a failure to autophosphorylate is a failure of phosphorylation of downstream molecules via whatever kinase cascade is attached to this receptor.

The question is asking what is most likely to have caused his gastric cancer, not his ulcer. Naproxen can cause some bladder cancers but not gastric cancer. Diet apparently is the correct answer but honestly I think it's a ****ed up question because the #1 reason is H. pylori. Smoking elevates your risk by 50%. I have not seen a single source that quantifies the risk of a high nitrosamine diet but I'm sure there's some pubmed article out there that can justify it.

about the question about herpes... is it h or c? its just that there's not a continual replication... though the latent infection is in the sacral root ganglia.

patient has genital herpes. which explains its longevity:
A) continuous replication in dendritic cells
B) continuous replication in epithelial cells of skin
C) continuous replication in sacral root ganglia (the place is right but its not a continuous replication)
D) continuous replication in T cells

E) establish latent infection in B cells
F) establish latent infection in circulating immune cells
G) establish latent infection in epithelial cells of skin
H) establish latent infection of sensory nerve cells (correct answer?)

patient has genital herpes. which explains its longevity:
A) continuous replication in dendritic cells
B) continuous replication in epithelial cells of skin
C) continuous replication in sacral root ganglia (the place is right but its not a continuous replication)
D) continuous replication in T cells

E) establish latent infection in B cells
F) establish latent infection in circulating immune cells
G) establish latent infection in epithelial cells of skin
H) establish latent infection of sensory nerve cells (correct answer?)

yeah H

the question about 23 yo woman with UTI, urinalysis 25 wbc/hpf, urine sample grows colonies on lactose-macconkey agar, blabla.. indole positive (e. coli), which of the following by the bacterium aids in the virulence of the causal organism.

a)adhesins
b)antihemolytics factors
c)pyrogenic exotoxin
d)teichoic acid in cell wall
e)thick peptidoglycan layer

maybe im too tired and my brain is not workin... :( but... do u know the answer?

the question about 23 yo woman with UTI, urinalysis 25 wbc/hpf, urine sample grows colonies on lactose-macconkey agar, blabla.. indole positive (e. coli), which of the following by the bacterium aids in the virulence of the causal organism.

a)adhesins
b)antihemolytics factors
c)pyrogenic exotoxin
d)teichoic acid in cell wall
e)thick peptidoglycan layer

maybe im too tired and my brain is not workin... :( but... do u know the answer?

adhesins it should be.

70 yo man w/rash for 7 days. P.E.: multiple 4 to cm tense bullae filled with clear fluid. Skin bp: non acantholytic blister with separation of the epidermis from the membrane. autoantibody directed against...

a)anchoring ligaments
b) collagen type IV
c)desmosomal proteins
d)hemidesmosomal proteins (this one???)
e)intracellular adhesion molecule.1

am i right?

70 yo man w/rash for 7 days. P.E.: multiple 4 to cm tense bullae filled with clear fluid. Skin bp: non acantholytic blister with separation of the epidermis from the membrane. autoantibody directed against...

a)anchoring ligaments
b) collagen type IV
c)desmosomal proteins
d)hemidesmosomal proteins (this one???)
e)intracellular adhesion molecule.1

am i right?

i think it's pemphigous so desmosomal. separation of epidermis = nikolsky +, which bullous is not.

i think it's pemphigous so desmosomal. separation of epidermis = nikolsky +, which bullous is not.
but it is a "non acantholytic lesion", separate epidermis from the membrane so i think its bullous pemphigoid. Because if it is pemphigus vulgaris (with all the things u said) the lesions should be intraepidermal, "acantholytic"... my brain is in automatic :) Did u get this question right? maybe im overthinking it... lol

but it is a "non acantholytic lesion", separate epidermis from the membrane so i think its bullous pemphigoid. Because if it is pemphigus vulgaris (with all the things u said) the lesions should be intraepidermal, "acantholytic"... my brain is in automatic :) Did u get this question right? maybe im overthinking it... lol
ill explain myself... i thought it was bullous pemphigoid because the skin biopsy showed "non acantholytic lesions", intraepidermal bullae, and i knew that vulgaris showed "acantholytic lesions" (the power of the "non") ... but... bullous shows eosinophils within blisters... so maybe... im overhinking it.. and i should sleep more lol. Did u get that question right? :)

ill explain myself... i thought it was bullous pemphigoid because the skin biopsy showed "non acantholytic lesions", intraepidermal bullae, and i knew that vulgaris showed "acantholytic lesions" (the power of the "non") ... but... bullous shows eosinophils within blisters... so maybe... im overhinking it.. and i should sleep more lol. Did u get that question right? :)

yeah you're right. they also asked for pemphigous in the exam- mixed me up.

hemidesmosomal is the answer to this one.

too complicated. Answer was where they said "separation of epidermis from membrane"..aka pemphiGOID...thus hemidesmosome.

(fyi pemphigUS is SUperficial--desmosome)

pathoma explains this nicely as well

yeah i overthink the questions and my answers lol ... could someone explain the difference between population based sample and convenience sample? ...what i thought is that the last one could be from an existent cohort or sthn like that?

thanks in advance :)

Regarding the question with the painter, can anyone explain when to block Alcohol DH vs Aldehyde DH? Is it more complicated than Alcohol DH block used for poisoning and Aldehyde just for making alcohilcs feel sick?

Regarding the question with the painter, can anyone explain when to block Alcohol DH vs Aldehyde DH? Is it more complicated than Alcohol DH block used for poisoning and Aldehyde just for making alcohilcs feel sick?

yeah pretty much. The intermediate between these two enzymes is what sucks, right? So, if you're poisoned, stop converting to the enzyme. If you're an alcoholic, stay in the intermediate zone to punish yourself...

I'm really sorry if I'm repeating some of the doubts that have already been clarified.

Branchial cyst - Is the question asking where the opening of the duct into the cyst is? That's the only way the SCM is the right answer, because AFAIK branchial cysts usually open into the pharynx or the external auditory meatus.

Probability in the food poisoning question - What are they asking for? "Which of the following indicates the probability of diarrhea having developed in people who ate lettuce". Is it really as simple as the fraction of lettuce eaters with diarrhea? I thought it meant the proportion of lettuce eaters who had diarrhea in the diarrheal population [(4/20)/(4/10)] = 1/2. It doesn't make sense to me because if you flip a coin 20 times and 4 times it lands heads, the probability of landing heads is still 0.5, not 4/20.

3 yr girl with loud harsh holosystolic murmur radiating over the precordium, with a thrill at left sternal border, My answer was mitral regurgitation but was wrong was it ventricular septal defect? or other choice?

Aortic regurgitation
Aortic stenosis
Atrial septal defect
Coarctation of aorta
Mitral regurgitaion
Mitral stenosis
Patent ductus arteriosis
Pulmonic stenosis
Tricuspid regurgitation
Ventricular Septal defect.

hope someone could provide the corrct answer.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry if I'm repeating some of the doubts that have already been clarified.

Branchial cyst - Is the question asking where the opening of the duct into the cyst is? That's the only way the SCM is the right answer, because AFAIK branchial cysts usually open into the pharynx or the external auditory meatus.

Probability in the food poisoning question - What are they asking for? "Which of the following indicates the probability of diarrhea having developed in people who ate lettuce". Is it really as simple as the fraction of lettuce eaters with diarrhea? I thought it meant the proportion of lettuce eaters who had diarrhea in the diarrheal population [(4/20)/(4/10)] = 1/2. It doesn't make sense to me because if you flip a coin 20 times and 4 times it lands heads, the probability of landing heads is still 0.5, not 4/20.
The proability of landing heads is 1/2 or 0.5 for a single attempt for 2nd attempt it becomes 1/2*1/2 =1/4 similarly 20th attempt is(0.5)raised to the power 20 number of chances. forgive me if I am wrong.Since each event is multiplied and not added. Therefore the proability of landing heads for 4 attempt if I am not mistaken is (1/2) raised to 4 I believe.

Last edited:
3 yr girl with loud harsh holosystolic murmur radiating over the precordium, with a thrill at left sternal border, My answer was mitral regurgitation but was wrong was it ventricular septal defect? or other choice?

Aortic regurgitation: Three murmurs: (1) Early diastolic, blowing murmur at left sternal border; (2) Austin Flint murmur: Diastolic, rumble-like murmur at apex (~MS w/o opening snap); (3) Midsystolic, flow mumur at base (due to high flow)
Aortic stenosis: Mid-systolic, ejection-type murmur at second right intercostal space (therefore AR: Left sternal border; AS: 2nd right intercostal), murmur radiates to carotid and apex
Atrial septal defect: (1) Systolic, ejection-type murmur at left upper & mid sternal border; (2) Mid-diastolic, rumble-like murmur at left sternal border (because of excess blood flow through tricuspid valve)
Coarctation of aorta: Valvular murmur could be heard if bicupsid aortic valve/AS is present (seen in 50% of CoA cases): systolic, ejection type murmur at 2nd right intercostal space; continuous bruit over left scapula could be heard (site of coarctation)
Mitral regurgitation: Holosystolic, high-pitched, blowing-type murmur at apex, murmur radiates to axilla
Mitral stenosis: Diastolic, rumble-like murmur at apex, preceded by opening snap
Patent ductus arteriosis: Continuous, machinery-like murmur at upper part of left sternal border, loudest in the back
Pulmonic stenosis: ~AS, systolic ejection-type murmur at 2nd left intercostal space
Tricuspid regurgitation: ~MR, holosystolic, high-pitched, blowing type mumur at left sternal border
Ventricular septal defect: (1) Holosystolic, harsh murmur at left sternal border; smaller defects have loudest murmurs (because of greater turbulence); associated with systolic thrill felt over the site of the murmur; (2) Mid-diastolic, rumble-like murmur at apex (~MR), caused by increased blood flow over mitral valve). If pulmonary vascular disease develops, holosystolic murmur becomes diminished (because of the reversal of the shunt).

Based on the question stem, the most likely answer is VSD.

Holosystolic murmurs
(1) MR: Best heard at apex, radiates to axilla
(2) TR: Best heard at lower left sternal border, becomes louder with inspiration
(3) VSD: Best heard at left sternal border

Reactions: 1 user
Aortic regurgitation: Three murmurs: (1) Early diastolic, blowing murmur at left sternal border; (2) Austin Flint murmur: Diastolic, rumble-like murmur at apex (~MS w/o opening snap); (3) Midsystolic, flow mumur at base (due to high flow)
Aortic stenosis: Mid-systolic, ejection-type murmur at second right intercostal space (therefore AR: Left sternal border; AS: 2nd right intercostal), murmur radiates to carotid and apex
Atrial septal defect: (1) Systolic, ejection-type murmur at left upper & mid sternal border; (2) Mid-diastolic, rumble-like murmur at left sternal border (because of excess blood flow through tricuspid valve)
Coarctation of aorta: Valvular murmur could be heard if bicupsid aortic valve/AS is present (seen in 50% of CoA cases): systolic, ejection type murmur at 2nd right intercostal space; continuous bruit over left scapula could be heard (site of coarctation)
Mitral regurgitation: Holosystolic, high-pitched, blowing-type murmur at apex, murmur radiates to axilla
Mitral stenosis: Diastolic, rumble-like murmur at apex, preceded by opening snap
Patent ductus arteriosis: Continuous, machinery-like murmur at upper part of left sternal border, loudest in the back
Pulmonic stenosis: ~AS, systolic ejection-type murmur at 2nd left intercostal space
Tricuspid regurgitation: ~MR, holosystolic, high-pitched, blowing type mumur at left sternal border
Ventricular septal defect: (1) Holosystolic, harsh murmur at left sternal border; smaller defects have loudest murmurs (because of greater turbulence); associated with systolic thrill felt over the site of the murmur; (2) Mid-diastolic, rumble-like murmur at apex (~MR), caused by increased blood flow over mitral valve). If pulmonary vascular disease develops, holosystolic murmur becomes diminished (because of the reversal of the shunt).

Holosystolic murmurs
(2) TR: Best heard at lower left sternal border, becomes louder with inspiration
Thank you very much. for showing me the light myxoedema. Your help is greately appreciated.

21. A 35-year-old rnan who is a farmer is brought to the hospital by his wife because of difficulty breathing. sweating. excess salivation. and diarrhea forthe past 2 hours. His wife says that the symptoms started when he was applying a new insecticide to his crops. Temperature is 36°C (96.8°F]. pulse is 50/min.respirations are 22/min. and blood pressure is 90/60 rnrn Hg. Which of the following is the most appropriate treatrnent?

A. Atropine
B. lpratropium
C. Mecamy|amine
D. Neostigmine
E. Propantheline

Is it Atropine or propanthlene? I marked Mecamylamine considering the treatment for respiratory paralysis (difficulty breathing) but it was obviously wrong. Any help is greately appriciated...

osteoporosis_steps_en.gif

spinal_tumor_myeloma01.jpg

osteoporosis looks like LOTS OF PORES all over the bone. MM has localized lesions
Excellent pictures . I always tried to compare MM with Osteoporosis

Holosystolic murmurs
Excellent explanation .Thanks.

i want to know the answer of the question that a lady had radical mastectomy nd developed left arm edema what will be the best rx for her?
i clicked compression sleeve but it ws wrong so whats the correct ans for this?

i want to know the answer of the question that a lady had radical mastectomy nd developed left arm edema what will be the best rx for her?
i clicked compression sleeve but it ws wrong so whats the correct ans for this?

Are you using an offline NBME?

I put compression sleeve as well. Didn't show up wrong on my expanded feedback.

This was also mentioned at post 150 of this thread.

Two clinical trials. Trial X and trial Y are conducted to assess the potential therapeutic efficacy of a new experimental antibiotic compared to the currently used antibiotic for treatment of urinary infection. The two studies are identical, except the statistical pose is 0.8 in Study X and 0.9 in Study Y. Which of the following is the most accurate conclusion regarding the likelihood a type II error? a. Greater in trial X than trial Y b. Greater in trial Y than in trial X c.The same in trial X and Y d. cannot be calculated from the data given

Last edited:
Two clinical trials. Trial X and trial Y are conducted to assess the potential therapeutic efficacy of a new experimental antibiotic compared to the currently used antibiotic for treatment of urinary infection. The two studies are identical, except the statistical pose is 0.8 in Study X and 0.9 in Study Y. Which of the following is the most accurate conclusion regarding the likelihood a type II error? a. Greater in trial X than trial Y b. Greater in trial Y than in trial X c.The same in trial X and Y d. cannot be calculated from the data given

Type II beta error is failing to reject the null hypothesis when it is actually true. This cannot be calculated from P value alone. If I am not mistaken or if no other hidden concept is lurking D would be the choice I believe.I have yet another 7 more questions to complete this question did not surface till now after marking the same. ;)

Type 2 error = 1 - power

Study X's type 2 error: 1 - 0.8 = 0.2
Study Y's type 2 error: 1- 0.9 = 0.1

Study X has higher type 2 error, answer is A.

Type 2 error = 1 - power

Study X's type 2 error: 1 - 0.8 = 0.2
Study Y's type 2 error: 1- 0.9 = 0.1

Study X has higher type 2 error, answer is A.

Thank you mayn for correcting me.I feel I must concentrte more on statastics too. This chapter was a bit vague Thank you anyhow.

alza689.