NBME Assessments - Difficulty Levels and Predictive Power

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustNeverSleeps

Walker, Texas Ranger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took NBME Assessment 3, and it seemed to be a lot tougher than assessment 1, although I ended up scoring better than I thought that I would. (I am saving #2 because a lot of people have said it is the best predictor of your actual score.) What is everyone's impression of the difficulty of the various test? Do they get progressively harder? Have people's scores been relatively constant across different subtests taken in the same timeframe?

I am also curious about how accurate the NBME assessments are at predicting USMLE score. I understand if there is a variance of +/- 10-15, but is it common to have a very big drop in score between the assessment and the actual test? Sorry for all the neurotic questions - I am taking the exam two weeks from today, so nerves are really starting to kick in! I am going into psych, so I don't need to set the world on fire with my step 1 score, but I would like a solid pass. I scored in the 220s today and am hoping that will hold up or improve for Step 1.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

RustNeverSleeps said:
I just took NBME Assessment 3, and it seemed to be a lot tougher than assessment 1, although I ended up scoring better than I thought that I would. (I am saving #2 because a lot of people have said it is the best predictor of your actual score.) What is everyone's impression of the difficulty of the various test? Do they get progressively harder? Have people's scores been relatively constant across different subtests taken in the same timeframe?

I am also curious about how accurate the NBME assessments are at predicting USMLE score. I understand if there is a variance of +/- 10-15, but is it common to have a very big drop in score between the assessment and the actual test? Sorry for all the neurotic questions - I am taking the exam two weeks from today, so nerves are really starting to kick in! I am going into psych, so I don't need to set the world on fire with my step 1 score, but I would like a solid pass. I scored in the 220s today and am hoping that will hold up or improve for Step 1.

Here's my breakdown. Form three guessed it the best. As I was taking them, I felt that Form 1 was the hardest by far, and that Form 3 was easiest. (My final score was high--I haven't decided if I'll reveal it here, since some of my classmates read this site.)

Form 1 score: Actual score plus four.
Form 2 score: Actual score minus eight.
Form 3 score: Actual score minus two.

Make of it what you will.

BTW, a decent predictor (in my experience) is available at http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator/

--Funkless

I only took NBME 1, I thought it was A LOT easier than the real test. However, I scored 5 points higher on the real test, go figure.

Good Luck

Did anyone do the practice test at Prometric? If so, it is the same thing as the NMBE self assessments or the free downloadable test from the nmbe website? I wanted to do the practice test at prometric, but I don't want to see the questions beforehand. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
highclass said:
Did anyone do the practice test at Prometric? If so, it is the same thing as the NMBE self assessments or the free downloadable test from the nmbe website? I wanted to do the practice test at prometric, but I don't want to see the questions beforehand. Thanks!

I think it is the same 150 Qs you get for free download. The practice is just for the feel of environment.

RustNeverSleeps said:

Where do you go to purchase these assessment tests?

It appears that there are 4 forms. Am I looking at the wrong set of tests? I followed your link, Lat, and found a set of tests called "Comprehensive Basic Science" which lists forms 1-4 . My impression from this thread was that there are only 3 forms...

J. Peterman said:
It appears that there are 4 forms. Am I looking at the wrong set of tests? I followed your link, Lat, and found a set of tests called "Comprehensive Basic Science" which lists forms 1-4 . My impression from this thread was that there are only 3 forms...

There are four forms--used to be two. I didn't follow his link (the prerogative of being an M3), but that sounds (and looks) like the right link.