NBME CBSSA Form 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pox in a box

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Keep all comments on this assessment (Form 1) within this thread. Giving questions and answers out in other threads is not helpful for people taking the CBSSA later.

Here's a FAQ because I'm sure there's going to be a dozen questions about what this exam is: http://www.nbme.org/PDF/sas.pdf

Here's the menu: http://www.nbme.org/programs/sas.asp

In summary, there are two assessment exams (both are 200 questions each and each one costs $45). It assesses your strengths and weaknesses (very loosely I might add) and gives you a "predicted" score.

Members don't see this ad.

idq1i said:
Here's my take:

1 - facilitated diffusion that gets saturated above a certain [] (a n educated guess)

2 - egophony = consolidation or effusion. egophony + cough = consolidation

3 - Stromeolysin, secreted by macrophages resolves the gray hepatization (an educated guess)

4 - trachea = vagal

5 - I say rv, almost at septum

6 - type switching. IgG opsonizes beads

7 - Wow, umm... hmmm. I'd say B.. She should have no A - anti-rho should have knocked out (made anergic) the reactive B cells

8 - b2 agonist side fx is a tremor!

9 - no pic = can't answer

10 - Vanco is not PO (only for luminal purposes). ampho is quite unpredictable. polymyxin - IM/intrathecal. Gentamycin - IV/IM. I'd say cipro

11 - adrenal medulla

ok

If it's an adrenal tumor, i think it's either B or H I wish I knew my cross sectional anatomy better...

Members don't see this ad :)
idq1i said:
I agree w/ your choice.

Classic BM of aplastic anemia.

Fat cells, scattered foci of lymphocytes, classical presenting sx

Cool, thanks for the netter 192 pick btw, it cleared it up for that stab question.

One more

A 60 year old man develops cirrhosis. He had multiple blood transfusions following severe trauma in 1985. He has no history of jaundice or hepatitis. Serologic tests and polymerase chain reactions on his blood will most likely show infection with which hepatitis virus?

A) A
B) B
C) C
D) D (delta)
E) E

I thought it was C but was confused about the no jaundice part... A and E are fecal oral, B and C are bloodborne, D superinfects needing B.

Random SDNer said:
One more

A 60 year old man develops cirrhosis. He had multiple blood transfusions following severe trauma in 1985. He has no history of jaundice or hepatitis. Serologic tests and polymerase chain reactions on his blood will most likely show infection with which hepatitis virus?

A) A
B) B
C) C
D) D (delta)
E) E

I thought it was C but was confused about the no jaundice part... A and E are fecal oral, B and C are bloodborne, D superinfects needing B.

C, most likely. It's much more insidious than B. Also, screening donor blood for HCV began after 1985

omarsaleh66 said:
C

I confused this w G( but this is the audio section of the brain)

You could be right about this. But I was thinking along the lines of Wernicke's area vs Broca's. I think G is the superior temporal gyrus of Heschl? And I thought C was the motor cortex while D was the sensory cortex. I dunno I suck at neuro though so you're probably right. I thought it was E since a lesion in Wernicke's area would obliterate comprehension of spoken language. Poor repetition, rambling speech, poor comprehension. Any other opinions?

Random SDNer said:
You could be right about this. But I was thinking along the lines of Wernicke's area vs Broca's. I think G is the superior temporal gyrus of Heschl? And I thought C was the motor cortex while D was the sensory cortex. I dunno I suck at neuro though so you're probably right. I thought it was E since a lesion in Wernicke's area would obliterate comprehension of spoken language. Poor repetition, rambling speech, poor comprehension. Any other opinions?

haha my bad, that E looks like a "C". U are right. I meant E. that pic is kinda small

omarsaleh66 said:
haha my bad, that E looks like a "C". U are right. I meant E. that pic is kinda small

yep, the pic was small, that's why i got rid of it

idq1i said:
B is the tail of the pancreas
H looks like the hepatoduodenal ligament (?)

I'd expect an adrenal tumor to be @ E

Hey iDQ1, I thought pg 336 of netter's was helpful for this one. Show's a cross section through T12. I think it's still H but maybe it could be E. Ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually H can't be the hepatoduondenal ligament because the hepatoduodenal ligament is anterior to the IVC on plate 336, so I'm thinking it's H.

fang said:
more opinions:

3) A 42 year old man with pneumococcal pneumonia has acute fibrinous pleuritis. Which of the following proteolytic enzymes is required to eliminate the exudate and restore normal pleural anatomy?

A) Collagenase
B) Plasmin
C) Stromeolysin
D) Thrombrin
E) Trypsin

I chose B -- plasmin cleaves fibrin, which will resolve fibrinous pleuritis.

Also, here is how I thought through this one... could someone clarify or correct this??

2) A 74 year old man has a cough. On auscultation of the right posterior chest, the patient's spoken "ee" sounds more like an "ay". Which of the following conditions on the right is most likely?

Egophony will be increased by anything that places more fluid between the vocal cords and the stethesope, and will be decreased by anything that fills that space with air.

A) Bronchopleural fistula -- air in the pleural space will decrease egophony
B) Lower lobe consolidation -- the denser and incompressible material (e.g. not air) will transmit sound better and will change the pitch of the sound
C) Middle lobe atelectasis -- this also would decrease the amount of air between the source of the sound and the stethosope, but maybe not as much as (b) since the remaining lobes will inflate normally.
D) Pleural effusion -- air is still present in the lunch between the chest wall and the origin of the sound, therefore egophony will not be as pronounced. However, this would still tend to cause egophony if severe enough (?)
E) Pleural plaque -- no change
F) Pneumothorax -- LESS egophony due to increased air
G) Pleural sequestration -- no change

COPD and asthma would have LESS egophony due to more air in lungs.

also, how are egophony, tactile fremitus, and whispered pectriloqy related? Are all 3 usually increased in the same situations (consolidation and pleural effusion?)

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think plasmin is right. Would get rid of the fibrin in fibrinous pleuritis/carditis. Resolution vs organization

p53 said:
Those keeping score at home. I still have my answer key for the 770 so people can verify it when they take the test. I will post it on SDN in due time. I promise. Still debating whether someone like Hidden should have an advantage on this test because they are taking the exam after since people before him didn't have access to this. Whatever I choose, the class of 2008 will have access to my answer key to give everyone in next year's class a level playing field. Until then, if you have any other questions. I will answer NBME questions on form A and give you my rationale.

p53 is back. You Heard

Go ahead and post it. The world is curious to find out what a 770 looks like. You don't have much of a point speaking on whether HiddenTruth gets an advantage whenever by that thought process, you're going to disadvantage ALL future NBME CBSSA takers from the Class of 2008 equally.

UH-OH.....anybody NOT do well and do ok on the real thing?? I did not do great-am I doomed to fail

Hi everyone,

Regarding the purchase of the 2 $45 exams.

1. Is it downloaded or do they send you a CD?

2. I heard it is best to do it in UNTIMED mode so you can "copy" and make note of the HY info they want you to know. What do you suggest is the best way to do this?

3. So do es that mean if you take it timed, you won't be able to go over the Qs again? I mean there are 400 questions in all. Do you recommend sitting there taking notes on all of them?

Thanks for the input.

W.Osler III

Oslersghost said:
Hi everyone,

Regarding the purchase of the 2 $45 exams.

1. Is it downloaded or do they send you a CD?

It's an online subscription like Qbank. However, you can not go back once you've clicked the end button on ANY section. You have to pay $45 for each one.

2. I heard it is best to do it in UNTIMED mode so you can "copy" and make note of the HY info they want you to know. What do you suggest is the best way to do this?

Doing the timed method would be just plain stupid in my opinion. The point of this exam is to gauge how you are doing and try to gain a little bit of insight into how they ask questions. If you run out of time during your hour, oh well. You've still got 3 hours left (for each block).

3. So do es that mean if you take it timed, you won't be able to go over the Qs again? I mean there are 400 questions in all.

You won't be able to look again. That's correct.

Anyone know what was up with the question where it had the picture of the stillborn fetus with a cleft palate, and asked for the inheritance? Options were like auto dominant, auto recessive, sex-linked, mitochondrial, and multifactorial.

Ruban said:
Anyone know what was up with the question where it had the picture of the stillborn fetus with a cleft palate, and asked for the inheritance? Options were like auto dominant, auto recessive, sex-linked, mitochondrial, and multifactorial.

Trisomy 13/patau ?

Failure of palatine shelf fusion is usually multifactorial.

p53 said:
Those keeping score at home. I still have my answer key for the 770 so people can verify it when they take the test. I will post it on SDN in due time. I promise. Still debating whether someone like Hidden should have an advantage on this test because they are taking the exam after since people before him didn't have access to this. Whatever I choose, the class of 2008 will have access to my answer key to give everyone in next year's class a level playing field. Until then, if you have any other questions. I will answer NBME questions on form A and give you my rationale.

p53 is back. You Heard

Haha, you're a true comedian. I am glad you care that much about me to single handedly include me in your post. The fact that you actually care whether HIDDEN gets to see the answers or not is something to ponder in an on fitself. Bro, I don't think anyone cares to see your answers, and I can definately speak for myself, nor has anyone made any request, nor do half the people on this forum believe your score. And, lastly, go back to the hole that u were in. ..Nuff said.

Oh, and...nice way to delete the post after you wrote it. Ram, toolmen list modified--p53 can finally be happy that he can be #1 in something.

HiddenTruth said:
Haha, you're a true comedian. I am glad you care that much about me to single handedly include me in your post. The fact that you actually care whether HIDDEN gets to see the answers or not is something to ponder in an on fitself. Bro, I don't think anyone cares to see your answers, and I can definately speak for myself, nor has anyone made any request, nor do half the people on this forum believe your score. And, lastly, go back to the hole that u were in. ..Nuff said.

Oh, and...nice way to delete the post after you wrote it. Ram, toolmen list modified--p53 can finally be happy that he can be #1 in something.

man the tool list is climbing fast! i dont get it who cares if someone is at an advantage to a practice test? or am i missing something ,i think that is the most ridiculous thing i have read on this forum in awhile... well probably not since i read man ridiculous things but none the less ridiculous.. someone want to fill me in on this 770 contraversy and why it would negatively effect hiddden and the entire class of 2008. strange

Pox,

Can you pause in between blocks or do you have to do the whole exam in 1 day?

Also can you crop and paste?

Thanks again

:luck:

Oslersghost said:
Pox,

Can you pause in between blocks or do you have to do the whole exam in 1 day?

Also can you crop and paste?

Thanks again

:luck:

I guess you could do the test over as much time as you wanted. I had to restart my computer in the middle of a block, and it came back right where I left of when I reloaded it. But I'd say you should do it all at once. Yes, you can cut and paste.

p53 said:
1. Ovarian tumor. AGE, location of mass, and unilaterality is the key. Goljan also told me. Haha
2. Angiogenesist. The picture was a cavernous hemangioma. As Dr. Goljan would say, don't do anything.
3. The most lateral rod on the right. The picture looks like a hot dog on the right arm. The arrow that points at the right bun is the MUSCLE somite.
4. Phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase. This is a key regulatory enzyme. Know all of these including HGPRT.
5. narrow mediastinum due to lack of thymus, normal gamma globulins, and decreased t lymphocytes.
6. Anticipation. The tipoff was that the mother has a lack of facial expression and muscle weakness so you know she was has the disease. The hypotonia and facial expression is give away that the disease is myotonic dystrophy. Sorry Dr. goljan, there are more ways than shaking one's hand to find out if they have this disease. Key associations myotonic dystrophy -> triple repeat and anticipation. If you understand Goljan and can apply his lectures you will anhilate this exam. Most people when they listen to his lecture memorize what he says. The smart ones think about what he says and applies it. Example, pleural effusion vs lung consolidation. He talks about it in his audio, but you have to sit down and think about the differences due to tactile fremitus, egophony etc.

p53 is back. You Heard

Hi:

Based on the post. Is it fare for me to assume that NO ANSWERS are provided by the NBOME? HOw do you know if you are REALLY correct?

So has anyone just copied and paste the questions and try to print it on paper?

HOw many Qs all 2gehter?>

Thanks buddies :idea:

hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out...some I just want to check if my answer was correct...kinda iffy on some...thanks so much.

1. the guy with cervical lymphadenopathy hx of low grade feverr, 10 lb wt loss, low Hb, Hct, MCV 80, Iron 24 microg/dL, TIBC low, what is the cause of anemia?

2. the 49 yr old man w/ hx of 1 week SOB, no fever, cough, or chills, BS decreased in L lower lobe, adn vocal and tactile fremitus are decreased, dull to percussion. What does he have?

3. Picture of the 17 yr old post-tonic clonic seizure with stuff on his face???

4. What drug decreases thyroid H in pregnancy (fetus)? B-blocker?

5. How would a pt w/ pulm fibrosis breathe easier? in regards to how would frequency and tidal vol change if at all?

Thanks so much...I didn't realize the NBME didn't give answers, it's driving me nuts...and looking up answers is taking forever...and my exam is in 4 days!

p53 said:
1. Ovarian tumor. AGE, location of mass, and unilaterality is the key. Goljan also told me. Haha
2. Angiogenesist. The picture was a cavernous hemangioma. As Dr. Goljan would say, don't do anything.
3. The most lateral rod on the right. The picture looks like a hot dog on the right arm. The arrow that points at the right bun is the MUSCLE somite.
4. Phosphoribosylpyrophosphate synthetase. This is a key regulatory enzyme. Know all of these including HGPRT.
5. narrow mediastinum due to lack of thymus, normal gamma globulins, and decreased t lymphocytes.
6. Anticipation. The tipoff was that the mother has a lack of facial expression and muscle weakness so you know she was has the disease. The hypotonia and facial expression is give away that the disease is myotonic dystrophy. Sorry Dr. goljan, there are more ways than shaking one's hand to find out if they have this disease. Key associations myotonic dystrophy -> triple repeat and anticipation. If you understand Goljan and can apply his lectures you will anhilate this exam. Most people when they listen to his lecture memorize what he says. The smart ones think about what he says and applies it. Example, pleural effusion vs lung consolidation. He talks about it in his audio, but you have to sit down and think about the differences due to tactile fremitus, egophony etc.

p53 is back. You Heard

This is an internet forum...I don't hear anything.

anyone have any explanation to those q's? sorry i wasnt able to cut and paste..it wouldnt let me..thanks :)

Do any of you out there remember these questions and know the correct answers?

Adult Hb is 98% saturated, but arterial O2 is decreased, most likely cause is what?
a. Anemia
b. AV shunt
c. Hemoglobinopathy
d. high-altitude hypoxia
e. Pulmonary diffusion defect

I put Anemia, what's the right answer?

Cancer cells resistant to vincristine, doxorubicin, dactinomycin, but not resistant to methotrexate and alkylating agents, why?
a. absence of superoxide dismutase
b. altered DNA polymerase
c. enhanced drug transport out of cell
d. inability to form polyglutamates
e. increased DNAse

i'm not even sure about this question, i know that it's not choice d.

Genotype of chorionic villi that comprises human placenta, what's it made from?
a. maternal and fetal
b. fetal
c. maternal
d. paternal

I didn't write down this question completely, hope it makes sense.

Thanks everyone!

surely, someone here has the questions and answers recorded to these NBME forms.

come on, folks, cough it up...

Ologist said:
Do any of you out there remember these questions and know the correct answers?

Adult Hb is 98% saturated, but arterial O2 is decreased, most likely cause is what?
a. Anemia
b. AV shunt
c. Hemoglobinopathy
d. high-altitude hypoxia
e. Pulmonary diffusion defect

I put Anemia, what's the right answer?

Cancer cells resistant to vincristine, doxorubicin, dactinomycin, but not resistant to methotrexate and alkylating agents, why?
a. absence of superoxide dismutase
b. altered DNA polymerase
c. enhanced drug transport out of cell
d. inability to form polyglutamates
e. increased DNAse

i'm not even sure about this question, i know that it's not choice d.

Genotype of chorionic villi that comprises human placenta, what's it made from?
a. maternal and fetal
b. fetal
c. maternal
d. paternal

I didn't write down this question completely, hope it makes sense.

Thanks everyone!

Anemia will decrease the total O2 level in the blood without altering the saturation of what hemoglobin there is.

Chorionic villi are of fetal origin, which is why they are used for testing.

I went with enhanced drug transport out of cell for the middle one.

I put my thoughts in brackets (which may be wrong) below the question.

Nafs said:
hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out...some I just want to check if my answer was correct...kinda iffy on some...thanks so much.

1. the guy with cervical lymphadenopathy hx of low grade feverr, 10 lb wt loss, low Hb, Hct, MCV 80, Iron 24 microg/dL, TIBC low, what is the cause of anemia?

[Anemia of chronic disease where the macs improperly store iron and don't release it hence the TIBC is low]

2. the 49 yr old man w/ hx of 1 week SOB, no fever, cough, or chills, BS decreased in L lower lobe, adn vocal and tactile fremitus are decreased, dull to percussion. What does he have?

[ i think pleural effusion]

3. Picture of the 17 yr old post-tonic clonic seizure with stuff on his face???

[ i think someone asked this before - perherps sebaceous adenomas on his face so tuberous scelrosis; hence he would be mentally handicapped since kindergarten]

4. What drug decreases thyroid H in pregnancy (fetus)? B-blocker?

[i put PTU, but was unsure]

5. How would a pt w/ pulm fibrosis breathe easier? in regards to how would frequency and tidal vol change if at all?

[ i think it would help them to increases respiration/rate but decresaes each tidal volume]

Thanks so much...I didn't realize the NBME didn't give answers, it's driving me nuts...and looking up answers is taking forever...and my exam is in 4 days!

Wrigleyville said:
Anemia will decrease the total O2 level in the blood without altering the saturation of what hemoglobin there is.

Chorionic villi are of fetal origin, which is why they are used for testing.

I went with enhanced drug transport out of cell for the middle one.

Yup, those are what I went with
I believe its called the MDR (multi-drug resistance) gene that some cancer cells have to help them pump out those particular drugs

Okay, here are my post NBME Form 1 questions - thanks to anyone who shares their thoughts

1) women in waiting room is nervous w/ clenched fists says to u "lets get this over with"
you as the doc say:
- okay , tell me what brings you in
- i can see you are upset, please tell me what is botheirng you

2) if you give a postural hypotensive pt. flucortisone, after 5 days what will their
serum K+ and renin, and urine K+ be?
I put dec K, dec renin, and inc. urine K+

3) do prions contain anything other than protein?

4) 2 yo girl ingests drugs from mom's purse. is sedated, but respirations and blood pressure are normal.
which of the following will reverse the sedation?
- acetylcysteine, apomorphoine, flumenazil, atropine, haloperidol, naloxone, amyl nitatre

5) posterolateral nephretomy - whats cut
- parietal or visceral peritoneum
- costal or diaphagmatic pleura
- transversalis fasica (which is what i went with)

6) if mom has + serum AFP; what will be have the greatest value in determining predictive value of this AFP test for her baby's neural tube defects
- sensitivity
- specificty
- prevalence

7) 61yo man with 3month history of dull aching pain on left side of chest - what do do next?
- Past Medical History, fam history, physical CV exam, ask additional details about pain

8) neonate born w/ thyroid enlargement, dec T4, Inc TSH b/c mom took what?
- PTU, T4, T3, Bblocker, GCS

6) if mom has + serum AFP; what will be have the greatest value in determining predictive value of this AFP test for her baby's neural tube defects
- sensitivity
- specificty
- prevalence

I put prevalence. Isn't sensitivity and specificity intrinsic to a test but increasing prevalence raises the PPV of a test and decreasing prevalence raises the NPV of a test?

7) 61yo man with 3month history of dull aching pain on left side of chest - what do do next?
- Past Medical History, fam history, physical CV exam, ask additional details about pain

I put ask additional details about the pain-- aren't you supposed to do the sharp, dull, throbbing, radiating as a followup to pain questions?

3) do prions contain anything other than protein?]
I thought prions don't contain DNA nor RNA, only protein

I think you guys were correct about tuberous sclerosis!http://www.emedicine.com/ped/images/707Adenoma_sebaceum.jpg

But according to e-medicine.com:

Approximately 50-85% of children with TSC have mental ******ation. Nearly all patients with mental ******ation have seizures, although the reverse is not always true. Seizures and mental ******ation may be present concomitantly.

All patients with TSC with mental ******ation have seizures, but not all patients with seizures have mental ******ation. Intelligence may be normal, or children may have mild, moderate, or severe mental ******ation.

For the question with the EM, were those gap junctions, therfore communicating? I thought they might be hemidesmosomes.

Has anyone been able to definitively answer this:

1. A 22 year old man has a 36 hour history of pain/swelling in left testis. One week ago, he had mild dysuria and urethral discharge. Gram stain from urethra shows numerous neutrophils but no organisms. Most likely cause of the patient's symptoms is infection with which of the following?-

A. Chlamydia trachomatis
B. Cytomegalovirus
C. E coli
D. Herpesvirus
E. Mumps virus
F. Neisseria gonorrhoea
G. Trichomonas Vaginalis

Cant remember any of these bugs, I havent studied this stuff since last September. I will eliminate B, C, D, and E because those are either not bacteria or they are not associated with STDs. So it could be A, F, or G. I'm guessing its A.

P.S. What was up with the man who was feeding himself with his fingers? I thought that was Alzheimers....

02115 said:

1. A 22 year old man has a 36 hour history of pain/swelling in left testis. One week ago, he had mild dysuria and urethral discharge. Gram stain from urethra shows numerous neutrophils but no organisms. Most likely cause of the patient's symptoms is infection with which of the following?-

A. Chlamydia trachomatis
B. Cytomegalovirus
C. E coli
D. Herpesvirus
E. Mumps virus
F. Neisseria gonorrhoea
G. Trichomonas Vaginalis

Cant remember any of these bugs, I havent studied this stuff since last September. I will eliminate B, C, D, and E because those are either not bacteria or they are not associated with STDs. So it could be A, F, or G. I'm guessing its A.
[/b]

hx leads you to neisseria or chlamydia, and chlamydia doesn't gram-stain well (bacteria are too tiny) so I vote for chlamydia

Another memory from NBME form I: For the guy with the worm/bug in his brain does anyone remember what he was bitten by? Not a mosquito, isn't that malaria? Blackfly gives river blindness, sandfly leishmania?? Does anyone know what the answer was???

02115 said:
Another memory from NBME form I: For the guy with the worm/bug in his brain does anyone remember what he was bitten by? Not a mosquito, isn't that malaria? Blackfly gives river blindness, sandfly leishmania?? Does anyone know what the answer was???

Cysticercosis transmitted via Taenium Soelium through ingestion by pigs; they larvae disseminate and become cysts in the brain that calcify.

MeowMix said:
hx leads you to neisseria or chlamydia, and chlamydia doesn't gram-stain well (bacteria are too tiny) so I vote for chlamydia
I thought it was chlamydia, too since chlamydia are the intracellular bugs, so they wouldn't necessarily be in discharge, but then how would you transmit it???

Ooooh, pigs, that's right! I was thinking trichinosis!

02115 said:

A. Chlamydia trachomatis
B. Cytomegalovirus
C. E coli
D. Herpesvirus
E. Mumps virus
F. Neisseria gonorrhoea
G. Trichomonas Vaginalis

P.S. What was up with the man who was feeding himself with his fingers? I thought that was Alzheimers....

It was Pick's disease:

Pick's disease primarily affects frontal and temporal lobes but what is characteristic about Pick's is they show minimal dementia and lose "frontal inhibition." ----> Why he become rude, unkempt, and made wierd comments to people.

02115 said:
For the question with the EM, were those gap junctions, therfore communicating? I thought they might be hemidesmosomes.

Haha, I have no clue what the hell was in that Frozen Etched specimen even after looking it up!

What did you guys put for the angry patient? The lady who was really upset and just told you to get this over with?

-I thought you might bring up scheduling her another day because Ive heard a doctor do that but the way it was written on test didnt seem too nice