NCSU supplemental essay question help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogLover824

KSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my last essay for NCSU and i am not sure what they are looking for as an answer. i could use all the help i can get on suggestions of what you would write about... the question is " What specific actions will you take to contribute to the class of 2013?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying there so I don't know for sure. I think they may want you to mention things like participation in student government etc.

I had some difficulty with that as well. I didn't want to sound too presumptuous, but I think they just want to hear that you aren't just going to be a passive student and go through school ho-hum. Maybe research on their website and find some activities offered that you might be interested in. I also touched on how my personal characteristics would contribute to the class, although technically those aren't specific actions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I jotted down a game plan of what, exactly, I would do to provide for the needs of my fellow students and me. I wrote that I would form or joing a committee to do A, and work with other students to arrange for B.

I just thought about what I did that made me a sucessful undergrad student and how those activities might help other vet students and how I would implement them. I didn't use this one, but it is pretty standard for the kind of things I put in the essay. I played intramural sports throughout college to keep myself physically healthy and relieve stress, so I might form a committee to create intramural sports programs each term for relaxation and health.

Hope that helps.

i didn't like this question either. i talked about the activities i wanted to participate in mostly. what else can you really do? there's already the 'what makes you unique' question, so i didn't want to talk about my personal characteristics. shall not be a very long answer for me.

Yeah, that one is tough. I'm having a really hard time with the "what are you passionate about?" essay also.

All my ideas seem so blah or really cheesy.

What did you guys talk about?

My passions were all related to animals. I know they want to see a well-rounded person so I'm a little unsure about that one, but I have done many things not related to animals and I'm just not as passionate about those things as I am the animal things! I just thought about what I'm really passionate about and was truthful on my essay. I think we spend too much time thinking about what they want to hear than our actual answer to the question. I've really been trying to get back to that. I can drive myself crazy for days trying to think of what the perfect answer may be! It all comes down to I am who I am, and I know I will make an excellent vet someday, and will keep trying until I convince an adcom of that too.

Whoops, went off on a speech there... sorry! :)

My passions were all related to animals. I know they want to see a well-rounded person so I'm a little unsure about that one, but I have done many things not related to animals and I'm just not as passionate about those things as I am the animal things! I just thought about what I'm really passionate about and was truthful on my essay. I think we spend too much time thinking about what they want to hear than our actual answer to the question. I've really been trying to get back to that. I can drive myself crazy for days trying to think of what the perfect answer may be! It all comes down to I am who I am, and I know I will make an excellent vet someday, and will keep trying until I convince an adcom of that too.

Whoops, went off on a speech there... sorry! :)

That's exactly how I have been approaching all of these essays and my personal statement. I don't have any crazy stories about saving the world or anything so I'm just being myself and hoping they appreciate that. I'd rather get rejected for being myself than get rejected for pretending to be someone I'm not. Hopefully it works out!

That's exactly how I have been approaching all of these essays and my personal statement. I don't have any crazy stories about saving the world or anything so I'm just being myself and hoping they appreciate that. I'd rather get rejected for being myself than get rejected for pretending to be someone I'm not. Hopefully it works out!

I completely agree. Plus it's just so much easier to be yourself. Haha!

for the passionate one, i wrote about recycling and saving the environment. I'm currently a big part of this recycling program at my college so i talked about that

i thought i would end up talking about nature and the environment, but then i quit thinking hard about it. i wrote about music. i'd probably go insane/emo if i didn't listen to music or sing or dance everyday :)

i personally am not liking the 'unique contributions' question. it's too much of a 'omg! let me pretend (that i believe) that i'm better than all the other applicants'...or at least it could easily turn that way.

This "how will you add diversity to the field" essay still has me at a loss for words. Come on brain, don't fail me now!

This "how will you add diversity to the field" essay still has me at a loss for words. Come on brain, don't fail me now!

lol, glad to know i'm not the only one! good luck

how long are everyone's? my "passion" essay is barely short enough, but the others could be much longer.