Necessary to take hardest prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderGrill

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously it's best to have the highest GPA possible. One of the best ways to maximize GPA is to take the easiest classes possible (prereqs included). Do med schools look down on applicants who deliberately take easier versions of prereqs? For example, taking "baby" bio instead of bio 101. Both would still have labs. Is there a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

"Easier pre-requisites" may not fit the quota for an actual pre-requisite. Just take the version that is recommended and buckle down. Things aren't going to get easier.

"Easier pre-requisites" may not fit the quota for an actual pre-requisite. Just take the version that is recommended and buckle down. Things aren't going to get easier.

What quota are you talking about lol. The vast majority of med school requirements say "1 year of bio with lab" "Two semesters of physics" "3 semester hours of stats". Your answer is useless unless you define "quota".

Members don't see this ad :)
If you try to skate by doing the easiest version of the pre-reqs (whatever that even means), then you will be in for a world of hurt come MCAT time. and what do you plan on doing if you get into med school... take the easiest classes there? lol

Can we stop with the childish comments? The question is simple: do med schools dislike it if you take easier versions of prereqs. Nobody wants to hear you talk about your ethical/moral standpoints. If you want to attempt to assert some sort of false moral superiority (on the internet lol), I suggest you talk to your mother so she can tell you what a special snowflake you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we stop with the childish comments? The question is simple: do med schools dislike it if you take easier versions of prereqs. Nobody wants to hear you talk about your ethical/moral standpoints. If you want to attempt to assert some sort of false moral superiority (on the internet lol), I suggest you talk to your mother so she can tell you what a special snowflake you are.

Medical schools usually only accept classes that're taught at a certain level - e.g. upper-level, chemistry-major biochemistry as opposed to what nutrition majors take - as pre-requisites. Try taking the easy version of everything and you may not even meet the pre-req requirements. So yes, they dislike it, and that's what @Hospitalized was getting at. Many medical schools will also mention how your pre-reqs should be taken at the level that fulfills credit for a science major.

Medical schools usually only accept classes that're taught at a certain level - e.g. upper-level, chemistry-major biochemistry as opposed to what nutrition majors take - as pre-requisites. Try taking the easy version of everything and you may not even meet the pre-req requirements. So yes, they dislike it, and that's what @Hospitalized was getting at. Many medical schools will also mention how your pre-reqs should be taken at the level that fulfills credit for a science major.

Thank you for your mature reply. What about the basic sciences (bio, chem, physics)? A philosophy major wouldn't have the time to take "upper-level" physics. The med websites mainly just say "1 year of physics". At my school, we have "general physics" and "introductory physics" (the baby version). Are you telling me that med schools would prefer a B in general physics over an A in intro physics?

It's not that they prefer one or the other. It's that making an A in "baby science" won't even meet the requirements to matriculate. Also there's no need to take calculus-based physics, although I'm not sure what introductory physics is. You should read the syllabus.

If you go on med schools' websites they usually require you to take intro classes that science majors take. Those intro classes usually don't require any prereqs .. Even philosophy majors can take those. They're not upper-level classes.

Last edited:
If you try to skate by doing the easiest version of the pre-reqs (whatever that even means), then you will be in for a world of hurt come MCAT time. and what do you plan on doing if you get into med school... take the easiest classes there? lol

This is a very good point, if you try and get around standard pre reqs with what you refer to as "baby" classes, then studying for the MCAT will be much more difficult.

LOL, bottom line is you sound too lazy and/or not smart enough to make it all the way through med school based on this.

LOL, bottom line is you sound too lazy and/or not smart enough to make it all the way through med school based on this.

That's nice kiddo. If you want to take the hardest possible route because you think it's more noble or whatever, that's up to you.

Also, it's really pathetic making a throwaway account just to support your main one. I thought we graduated from middle school a while ago, but I guess penis length still matters to kids like you.

That's nice kiddo. If you want to take the hardest possible route because you think it's more noble or whatever, that's up to you.

Also, it's really pathetic making a throwaway account just to support your main one. I thought we graduated from middle school a while ago, but I guess penis length still matters to kids like you.

its not the hardest way possible, its the only way possible. no one is saying to take calculus-based physics but if it comes down between you and someone who took the appropriate level classes, you can guarantee you won't make the cut. and what are you even talking about?

its not the hardest way possible, its the only way possible. no one is saying to take calculus-based physics but if it comes down between you and someone who took the appropriate level classes, you can guarantee you won't make the cut. and what are you even talking about?

You have a source on that? I kind of lost my faith in you after the first two posts. Kids like you are everywhere on the internet. You claim that your opinions are facts, and that everyone else's opinions are opinions.

Think harder about what I said. I'm sure you're not " lazy and/or not smart enough" to understand after a few minutes of hard thinking ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
theres two reasons why you would want to take easier classes:
1. you are too lazy to actually put in the work necessary
2. you are too stupid to actually do well in the classes that are necessary
either situation means you wont be cut out for med school

theres two reasons why you would want to take easier classes:
1. you are too lazy to actually put in the work necessary
2. you are too stupid to actually do well in the classes that are necessary
either situation means you wont be cut out for med school

I like how you avoided the main issue. Still waiting on that source.

Don't you think you're being a bit too narrow-minded there kiddo? There's a third possibility: trying to get the highest GPA possible with the least amount of effort so that I can put that extra effort into research/volunteering/etc. You should really try to work on expanding your thinking there. That kind of limited thinking won't get you anywhere at all past undergrad, least of all medicine lol.

I like how you avoided the main issue. Still waiting on that source.

Don't you think you're being a bit too narrow-minded there kiddo? There's a third possibility: trying to get the highest GPA possible with the least amount of effort so that I can put that extra effort into research/volunteering/etc. You should really try to work on expanding your thinking there. That kind of limited thinking won't get you anywhere at all past undergrad, least of all medicine lol.

I'm pretty sure this is a troll, but I'll bite. It's a bad idea. There's your simple answer. Source: common sense.

If this isn't a troll, I strongly recommend you reconsider going to medical school with that attitude. In fact, it would be a miracle if you even got past applying.

I'm pretty sure this is a troll, but I'll bite. It's a bad idea. There's your simple answer. Source: common sense.

If this isn't a troll, I strongly recommend you reconsider going to medical school with that attitude. In fact, it would be a miracle if you even got past applying.

@genericpremedstudent you don't have to reply on this account anymore, we already know your secret. It actually amazes me how delusional some people can be. "It's a bad idea. There's your simple answer". The level of intelligence here is staggering. I am amazed that someone can honestly say that they're intelligent after saying that lol. Imagine you went to your orgo professor with a question and he said "it just is".

But I don't want to waste time here actually. I just found the "ignore user" option. Won't be seeing you around kiddo. Just a tip before I forget about trash like you: get out of the premed track. I don't want to see you fail to get into med school after X years and be stuck with a worthless degree. Switch to engineering or something while you can. If you don't, I'll send a message to the future you in 20 years: "I'd like fries with that".

Many schools don't even consider AP credit. What are the chances that they will consider "baby science"?

@genericpremedstudent you don't have to reply on this account anymore, we already know your secret. It actually amazes me how delusional some people can be. "It's a bad idea. There's your simple answer". The level of intelligence here is staggering. I am amazed that someone can honestly say that they're intelligent after saying that lol. Imagine you went to your orgo professor with a question and he said "it just is".

But I don't want to waste time here actually. I just found the "ignore user" option. Won't be seeing you around kiddo. Just a tip before I forget about trash like you: get out of the premed track. I don't want to see you fail to get into med school after X years and be stuck with a worthless degree. Switch to engineering or something while you can. If you don't, I'll send a message to the future you in 20 years: "I'd like fries with that".

:laugh: Oh, you...

I am sorry but this is ridiculous .. Right now everyone's sleeping but when they wake up and see this thread .. Man they don't know what they're in for.

I woke up randomly so i thought i would check up on this. This turd is seriously saying that meeehai and i are the same person? lol. its probably some loser from the pre-med subreddit who took a break from league of legends to come over here and troll people.

Here's a real answer that hopefully won't engender any fighting (if it does, then tough ****e to whoemver starts it because I won't reply to it)

If it doesn't satisfy prereq requirements (e.g. trying to substitute survey of orgo for orgo 1 and/or orgo 2), it won't suffice.

If it does satisfy prereq requirements (e.g. taking algebra physics instead of calc based), and it's easier for you for whatever reason, then by all means take the path of less resistance. If you can get an eaiser professor for a prereq class, then by all means do it, because it will help your gpa, and it, as a science class, won't lack rigour to the point that you learn nothing.

tl;dr : Take the easier opportunity if it satisfies prereq requirements at most schools

Each school has their own criteria but many of them really don't care if you take all easy classes (several are cool with CC courses too but I wouldn't recommend it). At the least try to take some basic and some advanced courses for biology and chemistry so that you are more prepared for the MCAT and don't forget biochemistry and statistics.

To answer the question, if what you are talking about is taking the "intro to bio" for non-science majors instead of the standard one all pre-meds take this is a terrible waste of time. ADCOMs can see this a mile away; it won't fly. Period.

Everyone needs to stop being jackasses and treat each other with respect. Please stop with the name calling and remain professional.

Yeah well you know what??

That would be asking way too much from some of the ****es that populate pre-allo

Yeah well you know what??

That would be asking way too much from some of the ****es that populate pre-allo
Interesting reply given that I stated that everyone needs to stop insulting each other. Since it seems impossible for you and the others to do that I'm closing the thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.