NECO interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opto1422

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at NECO at the end of month. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any insight/ advice about the interview. Was it a close or open interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey!! Do you mind me asking when your application was verified/ when you were invited for an interview?? I applied to NECO as well!

I am interviewing at NECO at the end of month. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any insight/ advice about the interview. Was it a close or open interview?

I would like to know this too!

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was verified first week of September and I got an email for an interview last week of September.

Oh, I meant, I'm interviewing at NECO too and wanted to know what the experience was like for this current cycle! :)

I interviewed at NECO on September 25th and it was very laid back and felt more like a conversation than an actual interview. Everyone there is really nice and friendly and willing to answer your questions. Just be yourself and don't be stressed out.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at NECO on September 25th and it was very laid back and felt more like a conversation than an actual interview. Everyone there is really nice and friendly and willing to answer your questions. Just be yourself and don't be stressed out.
When did you hear back about a decision?
Thank you for your response!

I actually heard back yesterday and was accepted. They sent me an email and attached my official letter that I would receive in the mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview a few weeks ago and it was a great experience!!

There were about seven or eight applicants the day of my interview, as well as a few guests. I brought my mom as a guest and I found it very helpful to have another set of ears to soak up information about the school! The day started off with a light breakfast and conversation with a first year student. We were given about a half an hour to just relax, ask questions, and just chat. We were then given an introduction by a director of admissions. Some information about financial aid and student services followed.

After this we split up into two groups. One group was led on a tour, while the others were individually interviewed, and then the groups swapped. The tour was led by students and they went throughout the entire school and answered any questions that you might have. The interview was with one professor/doctor and was quite relaxed and conversational. My interviewer was extremely friendly and didn't drill me about my application at all. I was so relieved!

Lunch followed the tour/interview. We were each assigned a 3rd year student, who acted as our second "interviewer". Mine had a chance to look over my application and asked a few questions about my shadowing, but it really became a more casual conversation. I think the purpose of this was to see if you are a good fit for the school and the other students.

Finally, we piled onto a bus and were driven to the New England Eye clinic and received a short tour there. This was very informative as well! We closed the day by driving back to the school and were given one last chance to ask any lingering questions.

Have fun and good luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
I had my interview a few weeks ago and it was a great experience!!

There were about seven or eight applicants the day of my interview, as well as a few guests. I brought my mom as a guest and I found it very helpful to have another set of ears to soak up information about the school! The day started off with a light breakfast and conversation with a first year student. We were given about a half an hour to just relax, ask questions, and just chat. We were then given an introduction by a director of admissions. Some information about financial aid and student services followed.

After this we split up into two groups. One group was led on a tour, while the others were individually interviewed, and then the groups swapped. The tour was led by students and they went throughout the entire school and answered any questions that you might have. The interview was with one professor/doctor and was quite relaxed and conversational. My interviewer was extremely friendly and didn't drill me about my application at all. I was so relieved!

Lunch followed the tour/interview. We were each assigned a 3rd year student, who acted as our second "interviewer". Mine had a chance to look over my application and asked a few questions about my shadowing, but it really became a more casual conversation. I think the purpose of this was to see if you are a good fit for the school and the other students.

Finally, we piled onto a bus and were driven to the New England Eye clinic and received a short tour there. This was very informative as well! We closed the day by driving back to the school and were given one last chance to ask any lingering questions.

Have fun and good luck!!
Thank you! Sounds like you had fun :)
Do you mind if I ask for your opinion on the school? and what your mom thought about it?

I just interviewed at NECO. Right when you start the day, you will have the opportunity to talk to current NECO and ask them any questions you have. In terms of the interview, I believe it was an open interview because the interviewer was able to look at my school work and grades. The interview was conversational, as her and I spoke about my personal life and family for half of the interview. Time flew by and we lost track of time, so I wasn't able to ask her any questions. The school has a definite charm to it and it feels like you're walking into Hogwarts. The school is located in the Back Bay area (which is beautiful) and it's actually in a Brownstone! The area is full of young professionals, since Boston University is just a few blocks down. The labs are a bit outdated and small (compared to ICO). One thing I didn't know is that optometrists aren't allowed to prescribe glaucoma medicine in the state of Massachusetts, unless they work at a VA. Students do get a rotation at the VA and will be exposed to it, and as a student at NECO, you will learn how to prescribe medication for glaucoma and are able to practice and prescribe in other states, after earning your degree. Overall, I loved Boston and my experience was great. Hope this helps!

Hey guys! My bad for not going into more detail about interview day. I had just gotten my acceptance and was over the moon with happiness. @abbyswabbie8 and @dnguy described interview day perfectly. I am just going to add my day's recap so you guys can get the comparison and my thoughts on the school. Sorry I didn't do this earlier.

The start of the day was a meet and greet with current NECO students with whom we had breakfast and had conversations with. There were three students, one from first year, one from second year and one from third year. I would recommend talking to all three of them at some point because they all had very good insight on the school and the program and also living in Boston. Talking to all three of them helped see the transition from 1st year to 3rd year that you will experience should you decide to go there. I had toured NECO a few times before coming to interview day and I still had to pause at how beautiful the school is. After talking to the current NECO students, we were given a presentation by someone from admissions.

After the presentation we were split into two groups like mentioned above. I was in the first group that interviewed. What I really found interesting was that I had expressed interest in the OD/MS program and the person that ended up interviewing me was the Director of that program. I would encourage you all to start making conversation with your interviewer even before they take you up to their office. It really will ease your nervousness and show them that you are interested in the school. My interviewer and I struck up a conversation about Canada because I am Canadian but did my undergrad in Connecticut. When we got up to her office, she pulled out a list of questions that she wanted to ask me but told me that we should just have a conversation as all the information she needed was in my file. I didn't even feel the time fly by but she gave me sufficient time to ask questions about the OD/MS program and gave me more insight into how student life would be. She only asked me a few questions. One of which was what I considered to be one of my biggest success in the last five years and how I work in a team. Once the interview was done she walked me back downstairs and wished me luck.

Then we went on a tour of the school (something that I have done before) but I really learnt a lot more than the first few times I toured because it was current NECO students that gave the tour so I got a student perspective on the school and it's facilities. NECO has one big lecture hall but we were told that not everyone sits in that lecture hall. They have a classroom of sorts downstairs which is connected to the lecture hall so you can sit there and still see the lecture on a screen and if you have any questions then there's a phone in the classroom that you can use to call up and speak to the professor. I am not sure how I feel about that but it was one small thing. While we were touring, we learned that NECO is in the process of renovating and if I am not mistaken the labs will be in the New England Eye (Neco's clinic) to give it authentic clinic settings.

After the tour of the school was done we sat down to lunch and sat and conversed with one of the upperclassmen. The conversation was very informal and it gives you a chance to ask questions about living in Boston, the school and whatever else you want to learn about from the student perspective. After lunch was done we all got into a bus and were taken to the New England Eye and were given a tour there. The facilities there are very beautiful but I'm not sure what the chances of getting clinic there will be. While we were touring we learned that in terms of clinic you can request clinic settings that are near your place of residence and if you don't have a car the are not going to make you travel far for clinic. Once that tour was done we came back to the school and the admissions person gave us a summary of the day and said that we would find out in two weeks.

Overall impression of interview day:
I thought it was a great experience and I absolutely love Boston and the school like @dnguy described feels like you have walked into Hogwarts. I think the biggest thing I liked was that everyone genuinely wants to help you succeed and it felt more like a family than a school. I would definitely recommend talking to the person you are having lunch with about insights on living in Boston. They give you some really good information. I also found out that in June NECO does a housing fair which happens over a weekend. You get to come to Boston and meet with realtors and also your fellow classmates. Overall I was really impressed with the school and the city. So needless to say when I got my acceptance later 13 days later, I was overjoyed and I think I am definitely going to be attending NECO next fall.

Good luck to all of you that have interviews coming up. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to message me.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! My bad for not going into more detail about interview day. I had just gotten my acceptance and was over the moon with happiness. @abbyswabbie8 and @dnguy described interview day perfectly. I am just going to add my day's recap so you guys can get the comparison and my thoughts on the school. Sorry I didn't do this earlier.

The start of the day was a meet and greet with current NECO students with whom we had breakfast and had conversations with. There were three students, one from first year, one from second year and one from third year. I would recommend talking to all three of them at some point because they all had very good insight on the school and the program and also living in Boston. Talking to all three of them helped see the transition from 1st year to 3rd year that you will experience should you decide to go there. I had toured NECO a few times before coming to interview day and I still had to pause at how beautiful the school is. After talking to the current NECO students, we were given a presentation by someone from admissions.

After the presentation we were split into two groups like mentioned above. I was in the first group that interviewed. What I really found interesting was that I had expressed interest in the OD/MS program and the person that ended up interviewing me was the Director of that program. I would encourage you all to start making conversation with your interviewer even before they take you up to their office. It really will ease your nervousness and show them that you are interested in the school. My interviewer and I struck up a conversation about Canada because I am Canadian but did my undergrad in Connecticut. When we got up to her office, she pulled out a list of questions that she wanted to ask me but told me that we should just have a conversation as all the information she needed was in my file. I didn't even feel the time fly by but she gave me sufficient time to ask questions about the OD/MS program and gave me more insight into how student life would be. She only asked me a few questions. One of which was what I considered to be one of my biggest success in the last five years and how I work in a team. Once the interview was done she walked me back downstairs and wished me luck.

Then we went on a tour of the school (something that I have done before) but I really learnt a lot more than the first few times I toured because it was current NECO students that gave the tour so I got a student perspective on the school and it's facilities. NECO has one big lecture hall but we were told that not everyone sits in that lecture hall. They have a classroom of sorts downstairs which is connected to the lecture hall so you can sit there and still see the lecture on a screen and if you have any questions then there's a phone in the classroom that you can use to call up and speak to the professor. I am not sure how I feel about that but it was one small thing. While we were touring, we learned that NECO is in the process of renovating and if I am not mistaken the labs will be in the New England Eye (Neco's clinic) to give it authentic clinic settings.

After the tour of the school was done we sat down to lunch and sat and conversed with one of the upperclassmen. The conversation was very informal and it gives you a chance to ask questions about living in Boston, the school and whatever else you want to learn about from the student perspective. After lunch was done we all got into a bus and were taken to the New England Eye and were given a tour there. The facilities there are very beautiful but I'm not sure what the chances of getting clinic there will be. While we were touring we learned that in terms of clinic you can request clinic settings that are near your place of residence and if you don't have a car the are not going to make you travel far for clinic. Once that tour was done we came back to the school and the admissions person gave us a summary of the day and said that we would find out in two weeks.

Overall impression of interview day:
I thought it was a great experience and I absolutely love Boston and the school like @dnguy described feels like you have walked into Hogwarts. I think the biggest thing I liked was that everyone genuinely wants to help you succeed and it felt more like a family than a school. I would definitely recommend talking to the person you are having lunch with about insights on living in Boston. They give you some really good information. I also found out that in June NECO does a housing fair which happens over a weekend. You get to come to Boston and meet with realtors and also your fellow classmates. Overall I was really impressed with the school and the city. So needless to say when I got my acceptance later 13 days later, I was overjoyed and I think I am definitely going to be attending NECO next fall.

Good luck to all of you that have interviews coming up. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to message me.

Congrats!!

For those who interviewed Oct 30, how was the interview? What kind of questions did they ask? I am interviewing soon so I want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

@MeySh

It was very very similar to what was posted above. My interviewer casually started a conversation about Canada in the elevator, and even continued the conversation in her office. We then talked about my extra-curriculars for majority of the time. I was asked if I had to deal with any difficult situations with patients at the optometry office I work at and how I handled the situation. I was also asked what my future plan was with my education in optometry. The night before I would read your personal statement.

The overall interview felt more like a conversation and less of an interview. I honestly did feel very stressed about the interview the night before, and even the day off. During breakfast, a lot of the NECO students answered my questions and I really started to feel better. During the interview, within the first couple of minutes I started to feel at ease, and it wasn't stressful at all.

My advice to you: as hard as it is, don't stress out and be yourself.

Last edited:
@MeySh

It was very very similar to what was posted above. My interviewer casually started a conversation about Canada in the elevator, and even continued the conversation in her office. We then talked about my extra-curriculars for majority of the time. I was asked if I had to deal with any difficult situations with patients at the optometry office I work at and how I handled the situation. I was also asked what my future plan was with my education in optometry. The night before I would read your personal statement.

The overall interview felt more like a conversation and less of an interview. I honestly did feel very stressed about the interview the night before, and even the day off. During breakfast, a lot of the NECO students answered my questions and I really started to feel better. During the interview, within the first couple of minutes I started to feel at ease, and it wasn't stressful at all.

My advice to you: as hard as it is, don't stress out and be yourself.

Thank you for the reply! It is really hard not to stress about interviews, but I will try to take your advice and remain calm. I hope your interview went well!

Thank you for the reply! It is really hard not to stress about interviews, but I will try to take your advice and remain calm. I hope your interview went well!

Thank you! I got my acceptance letter last week! Goodluck with your interview! Message me if you have any other questions! :)