Need Access Application & Scholarship Funds???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedSurvivor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright I'm pretty damn confused.

I'm currently studying abroad on a research scholarship; on this scholarship's website, it mentions that this grant is subject to taxes. I'm plodding through the hell on earth known as the "Need Access" Application but can't seem to figure out how I would report scholarship funds. So:

1) How would I report that on the Need Access Application?
2) Is there any way I can file my taxes online? How would I report the scholarship funds? Am I filling out the 1040?
3) Does the government automatically send tax returns to the listed schools or do we have to send our tax returns to theses schools?

Sorry if these questions are obvious; i can't seem to find a straight answer :/

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes you can file your taxes online though idk if you can do it for free. I use TurboTax. It's 100% online and doens't take long. Now what do you mean that hte grant is subject to taxes? So you pay taxes on the grants? If that's the case, then whenyou put in that information on your tax forms, it should add that to your "salary" if you're making any and that would increase the amount of taxes that you will pay. idk what form you would fill out though. Honestly your best bet is contacting those that gave out the scholarship and asking them what tax form -t hey would know for sure.