Need advice. Don't know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee-doc

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied around October this cycle and have only received one DO II and subsequently waitlisted. Becoming a DOC is the goal and I know that DO is my only real route now.

Here are my stats:
3.12 sGPA, Florida resident
Multiple MCAT attempts(4): 27, 22, 496, 504
I know this is really really stupid that I did this. I first got the 27 and thought I could do better and registered for another one immediately from the advice of my academic adviser. But that was like 2 years ago. Did horrible.
I planned for a retake but there were some setbacks because of family job layoffs forcing me to get a job while taking full semester summer classes and studying. As well as a family diagnosis of cancer, where I had to drive them to/from chemo and appointments. I should've put it off, but I wanted the quickest route into school. Did terrible. Signed up for a retake and got the 504 which isn't bad but isn't amazing.
Throughout the process of all of this, I grew up a lot and matured like hell and I am a completely different person now and I know that I want this more than anything.

Sitting for a new MCAT in 2 weeks, and I feel much more prepared than ever. I am doing very well on practice tests. I know testing 5 times is basically unheard of but I want the self-fulfillment of scoring well on the damn thing. I know I can do well on it.

Basically the week after my new MCAT, I am signing up for summer classes to get a GPA jump. I should've been doing that now, but advice from an MD adcom told me to take a research position instead of GPA repair because it holds more value. I shouldn't have taken the advice, but I did on his word. I have 1 major publication out of this job (as well as 2 others from previous lab), as well as countless volunteering and OR hours and patient experience, plus I really feel like I help people and it has helped me mature a lot. I have excellent letters, one from a major DO hospital coming from the attendings.

Is this a good plan? Apply early with summer classes and replacing poor coursework? Or should I sign up for a Post-Bac/SMP somewhere and proceed that way? I was planning on taking mostly upper level sciences for the summer.

Please help. I am internally torn on what to do next.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied around October this cycle and have only received one DO II and subsequently waitlisted. Becoming a DOC is the goal and I know that DO is my only real route now.

Here are my stats:
I know this is really really stupid that I did this. I first got the 27 and thought I could do better and registered for another one immediately from the advice of my academic adviser. But that was like 2 years ago. Did horrible.
I planned for a retake but there were some setbacks because of family job layoffs forcing me to get a job while taking full semester summer classes and studying. As well as a family diagnosis of cancer, where I had to drive them to/from chemo and appointments. I should've put it off, but I wanted the quickest route into school. Did terrible. Signed up for a retake and got the 504 which isn't bad but isn't amazing.
Throughout the process of all of this, I grew up a lot and matured like hell and I am a completely different person now and I know that I want this more than anything.

Sitting for a new MCAT in 2 weeks, and I feel much more prepared than ever. I am doing very well on practice tests. I know testing 5 times is basically unheard of but I want the self-fulfillment of scoring well on the damn thing. I know I can do well on it.

Basically the week after my new MCAT, I am signing up for summer classes to get a GPA jump. I should've been doing that now, but advice from an MD adcom told me to take a research position instead of GPA repair because it holds more value. I shouldn't have taken the advice, but I did on his word. I have 1 major publication out of this job, as well as countless volunteering and OR hours and patient experience, plus I really feel like I help people and it has helped me mature a lot. I have excellent letters, one from a major DO hospital coming from the attendings.

Is this a good plan? Apply early with summer classes and replacing poor coursework? Or should I sign up for a Post-Bac/SMP somewhere and proceed that way? I was planning on taking mostly upper level sciences for the summer.

I'm really, really stuck on the 5 MCATs in 2 years thing.... The general consensus on this site seems to land against doing SMP programs to improve GPA. Because AACOMAS uses grade replacement to calculate your GPA, I'd say that you should retake any really low grades in pre-req classes this summer for a GPA boost rather than doing an SMP to improve your application.

5 MCATs in 2 years..... :0

I'm really, really stuck on the 5 MCATs in 2 years thing.... The general consensus on this site seems to land against doing SMP programs to improve GPA. Because AACOMAS uses grade replacement to calculate your GPA, I'd say that you should retake any really low grades in pre-req classes this summer for a GPA boost rather than doing an SMP to improve your application.

Yeah I know. It's a mixture of bad advice, and my stupidity and immaturity. I completely understand the rigors of medical school, and I know I can handle it. I'll blow this next MCAT out of the water. If I get lower, well then I'm boned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know. It's a mixture of bad advice, and my stupidity and immaturity. I completely understand the rigors of medical school, and I know I can handle it. I'll blow this next MCAT out of the water. If I get lower, well then I'm boned.

I hope you do really well on your new MCAT. Good luck! Assuming you do, make sure you do really thorough research into what schools average MCAT scores and what ones look at highest only. This is going to be key to your success because it sounds like all 5 of your scores will still be valid at the time of your application.

Your last MCAT score is a 504... Retaking it again is stupid quite frankly. You need some grade replacement to get the GPA up.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the above posts. Stop taking the MCAT. Focus/improve on your gpa and take advantage of grade replacement it's there for a reason...

Reactions: 1 user
STOP TAKING THE MCAT! lol A 504 is good enough for some DO schools, retake the classes you got a B- or worse in.

Reactions: 1 users
This is literally throwing the biggest curve-ball at me since I was so hellbent and focused on re-taking this MCAT

Don't take the MCAT. Just increase your GPA. You've already taken it 4 times and taking another time will just make it worse.

You are trigger happy for the MCAT lol. I can't imagine studying for that test more than once.

Can't believe you got an interview with a 3.12. But I would highly advise you to retake any classes that you got C's or lower in to bring up your gpa and that will help you get more interviews. I wouldn't retake 504.

Can't believe you got an interview with a 3.12. But I would highly advise you to retake any classes that you got C's or lower in to bring up your gpa and that will help you get more interviews. I wouldn't retake 504.

A good amount of people get in with 3.0s every year. It isn't that surprising really. But it is too low for comfort. I would aim for a 3.25 to be more comfortable

Here are my stats:

Basically the week after my new MCAT, I am signing up for summer classes to get a GPA jump. I should've been doing that now, but advice from an MD adcom told me to take a research position instead of GPA repair because it holds more value. I shouldn't have taken the advice, but I did on his word. I have 1 major publication out of this job (as well as 2 others from previous lab), as well as countless volunteering and OR hours and patient experience, plus I really feel like I help people and it has helped me mature a lot. I have excellent letters, one from a major DO hospital coming from the attendings.

I'd work on the gpa as it is below the cutoff for many programs. You need at least a 3.25.

Actually OP has a good case where a SMP could help. SMPs are generally good for decent MCAT/low GPA applicants. OP's most recent MCAT was decent, but their GPA is pretty painful. An SMP (or a custom postbacc) would be a great option to fix some of their app's weakness.

A good amount of people get in with 3.0s every year. It isn't that surprising really. But it is too low for comfort. I would aim for a 3.25 to be more comfortable
No I definitely understand that there are people who will get accepted with 3.0s but just like what you said, it is too low for comfort.

If OP did a DIY post bac, he/she can easily bump it above 3.25

Here are my stats:

I agree, do not take the MCAT again. You're taking it for the fifth time. At this point, your 5th score could be amazing but it's kinda expected...on the fifth time....

A 504 is good enough for many DO schools, improve your GPA. I think retaking the classes you didn't do well in (C or lower, or B- and lower if you can afford it) would be more affordable than an SMP.

You say you've matured a lot and that's great. Maturity in this case is knowing where to channel your energy. You said you wanted the self fulfillment of scoring well..that statement doesn't show you're making a mature decision. When I took the MCAT a second time, I scored a 506. I KNEW I could've done better. But I did not take it again because it was too risky. Your 504 is fine, a 5th MCAT is not imo.