Need Advice From Aussie/New Zealand Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazzmaple

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any current or former international vet students that were accepted to Sydney, Melbourne, Murdoch, or Massey have any advice for applying to all four schools? Would using an agent be best? If so could you recommend any good, reliable ones? I have applied to Murdoch in the past but just snail mailed all my info because it was the only school I was applying to.

I recently visited Murdoch and absolutely loved it! It is my first choice but, well I'm not getting any younger and can't wait to start vet school! I was able to meet with the dean and tour the campus. I had originally planned to submit all my application materials during the visit, but decided to improve my personal statement and have it reviewed.

Does anyone know if the University of Queensland is AVMA accredited at this time or if there are any other Vet Schools in Australia that may have gained recent accreditation? At this point I don't see myself returning to the US to practice if I get the chance to move to Australia/New Zealand to study, but it is definitely worth knowing.

Thanks! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the University of Queensland is AVMA accredited at this time or if there are any other Vet Schools in Australia that may have gained recent accreditation? At this point I don't see myself returning to the US to practice if I get the chance to move to Australia/New Zealand to study, but it is definitely worth knowing.

I met some of those old farts from the AVMA accreditation body last year, they seem impressed with the facilities but no, I dont think UQ is AVMA accredited yet....

I remember applying all four using an agents, but in the end, the agent was quite useless, so I end up applying again by myself...

I can't tell you about the Auzzie schools, but Massey in NZ is pretty good. There are two groups of applicants depending on what you are applying for and your status of previous study is.

Hopefully this link will help you out a bit.
http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/lear...l-sciences/vetschool/apply/applying-vmcas.cfm

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
UQ doesn't have current American Accreditation.

I am going to Murdoch next year. I am currently a UQ student. I have never received as much guidance and support in the years of being a UQ student than I have in these short months from Murdoch. UQ has always been elitist sobs, lack of student support and while they do have all new facilities down at Gatton. I would only choose to go to UQ because it was in QLD. Other than that. I am excited and nervous to be making the big trek to Perth to commence vet science next year!.

Out of All the unis in Australia the only ones I found that would give you the time of day was CSU and Murdoch.

Murdoch is the way to go! Not that I am bias or anything :laugh::laugh:

UQ doesn't have current American Accreditation.

I am going to Murdoch next year. I am currently a UQ student. I have never received as much guidance and support in the years of being a UQ student than I have in these short months from Murdoch. UQ has always been elitist sobs, lack of student support and while they do have all new facilities down at Gatton. I would only choose to go to UQ because it was in QLD. Other than that. I am excited and nervous to be making the big trek to Perth to commence vet science next year!.

Out of All the unis in Australia the only ones I found that would give you the time of day was CSU and Murdoch.

Murdoch is the way to go! Not that I am bias or anything :laugh::laugh:

Congratulations on getting into vet school, but is there really any need to slag another vet school off? It's highly unprofessional (you are going to become a professional) to dismiss an entire group of people as "elitist snobs". You say you are currently a UQ student, but you aren't a UQ Vet student, so you have no idea what the school is actually like.

And being from Murdoch doesn't automatically make someone a good vet. All the true learning is done once you graduate, and your success also depends on your people skills. All the schools in Australia give you the same basics, it's up to you what you do with those skills after graduation.

Congratulations on getting into vet school, but is there really any need to slag another vet school off? It's highly unprofessional (you are going to become a professional) to dismiss an entire group of people as "elitist snobs". You say you are currently a UQ student, but you aren't a UQ Vet student, so you have no idea what the school is actually like.

And being from Murdoch doesn't automatically make someone a good vet. All the true learning is done once you graduate, and your success also depends on your people skills. All the schools in Australia give you the same basics, it's up to you what you do with those skills after graduation.

I think this is a bit overly defensive. MissMustang was just describing HER personal experience with UQ, which is not invalid just because she was a student there for something other than vet. She also never said that you wouldnt be a good vet if you went to UQ or if you were better if you went to murdoch - she just said in her experience, the application process was better.

My own personal view on UQ is that it must be super frustrating for international students. UQ have been banging on about getting AVMA accred for SO LONG NOW and still haven't got it that people on here keep thinking they must have it because they've been talking about it for so damn long, but they still dont. I know its a process and its probably not their fault, but every year I've been on here the "Does UQ have AVMA accred YET?!" gets asked. People want to apply!

Haha and as for all schools in Aus giving you the same basics... did you hear about JCU's drama? ...yeah... :rolleyes:

I think this is a bit overly defensive. MissMustang was just describing HER personal experience with UQ, which is not invalid just because she was a student there for something other than vet. She also never said that you wouldnt be a good vet if you went to UQ or if you were better if you went to murdoch - she just said in her experience, the application process was better.

My own personal view on UQ is that it must be super frustrating for international students. UQ have been banging on about getting AVMA accred for SO LONG NOW and still haven't got it that people on here keep thinking they must have it because they've been talking about it for so damn long, but they still dont. I know its a process and its probably not their fault, but every year I've been on here the "Does UQ have AVMA accred YET?!" gets asked. People want to apply!

Haha and as for all schools in Aus giving you the same basics... did you hear about JCU's drama? ...yeah... :rolleyes:

on hindsight, yes, probably be a bit defensive on my part as a UQ student.

on a different note, care to share the JCU drama? I'm totally intrigued :)

So CSU and JCU started up their schools the same year, right? And you can't gain Australian accreditation until you have graduated your first class.

So while I was applying for vet, people were making big bones about the fact they werent accredited. Of course they werent - they hadnt graduated a class. I knew people personally who were involved in setting up the school at CSU - basically, accrediatation was not going to be a problem.

JCU FAILED to gain accreditation for their first graduating class. They had to undergo further training and examination in order to become licensed. Imagine that... get to the end of 6 years and get told its actually NOT all over! :rolleyes:

We had a few people transfer from JCU to murdoch (As im sure UQ would have too) - basically these people transferred because the university was so disorganised they didn't have faith in the course. They weren't eligible to transfer any units - but their fears were confirmed when accrediation wasn't granted...

Accreditation has been granted now... but it was a few years after they anticipated...

Gosh, I don't know anyone from JCU who transferred to UQ, but it all sounds quite horrific. In my opinion, there wasn't a need to open another vet school in Queensland. Producing more graduates doesn't address the problem or reason why few graduates are going into rural production practice. I graduate (hopefully!) in 2 years and every time I look at kookaburra, I get depressed at how few new grad openings there are in Australia.

Gosh, I don't know anyone from JCU who transferred to UQ, but it all sounds quite horrific. In my opinion, there wasn't a need to open another vet school in Queensland. Producing more graduates doesn't address the problem or reason why few graduates are going into rural production practice. I graduate (hopefully!) in 2 years and every time I look at kookaburra, I get depressed at how few new grad openings there are in Australia.

Yeah... or adelaide...

I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty bloody worried too :S

as of today it is officially accredited.

what I normally check to be sure is the AAVMC site. But that is still not up yet. So I guess it's still not completely accredited?

Melbourne's DVM is AVMA accredited.

I can't speak for how the actual course is conducted - when I went through Melbourne, it was still a BVSc - but the faculty is something of a big family. There will always be staff/students you don't get on with, but most staff there go above and beyond for students having trouble.