Need advice on how to do DIY post bacc and clinical shadowing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okyeah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've made a few threads here in the past but I am once again in need of more advice from you great people.

I'm currently working and waiting to pursue a DIY post-bacc next August. I graduated in 2018 with a 3.19 B.S. in Human Physiology. This was mostly due to me doing a D1 sport + being naive about what to do for a major, and then injuring my lower back (herniated disc) severely. My gpa the first two years tanked badly but I managed to push out that final gpa. This injury was devastating but also inspiring for me to become a doctor because it amazed me how well the treatments worked to treat my chronic nerve pain over time and that combined with volunteering in clinical settings, and the fulfillment it brought me, made me think of medicine. However, coming out of school I had money trouble and I've had to work in science manufacturing as well as regular factories. I'm currently working in a science product manufacturer with a great flexible work schedule and no OT.

My questions are:

1. Should I start from scratch on pre-reqs for a 2 year post-bacc? I want to do this in order to build a good foundation of academia. My pre-reqs are not good at all. I never took Orgo 1 or 2 thankfully or biochem. There are many human physiology electives on here as well.

Some of my grades are as follows: Science GPA of 2.93 GPA (with retakes considered and no orgo/biochem) cumulative GPA of 3.19 with 124 Semester Hrs.

Gen chem 1 = B
Calc 1 = C+
Biostats = C
Principles of Chem 1 = C+
Elementary Psych = C
Foundations of Bio = F retook to B-
Principles Chem 2 = F retook to C+
Human anatomy = D+ retook to A
BIOL2 = B
Med terminology = B+
Human Physiology = B-
Physiology lab = A
Skeletal muscle physiology = A-
Exercise Physiology = B
Physics I = A (at community college)
Physics II = W then A (at community college)
Energy metabolism in health and disease = A
Genetics = B
Anatomy lab = B+
Human growth and motor development = C
Nutrition and health = C+

2. How can I shadow when there is no in-person shadowing opportunity in my area? It seems covid has cancelled all of that. There is virtual shadowing apparently. Should I just do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
See Goro's guide to reinvention:

For shadowing, you could try to find a job as a scribe if there is still no in-person shadowing. Virtual shadowing does not count.

Reactions: 2 users
See Goro's guide to reinvention:

For shadowing, you could try to find a job as a scribe if there is still no in-person shadowing. Virtual shadowing does not count.

I'm guessing a work from home scribe job won't cut it either lol