Need advice on practice test score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buzzin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontraditional 3.9 gpa but my AAMC practice tests have been on the weak side (AAMC #9 = 24, AAMC #3 = 23) and the REAL PROBLEM is that I get like half of the easy questions wrong and get 90% on the hard questions right. Is this just rust? After looking at the answers to a lot of these questions I realized I knew almost all of them (but that's probably always how it works). Maybe I am just overthinking it? Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of flippin through EK1001 to reinforce some basics.

I always thought the MCAT was the type of test to "TRICK YOU" but it appears more straightforward than that, it didn't seem that hard either but I don't know why I didn't score better either so I'm a little upside down here. I want to take the January 23 Test but If I don't have a couple of practice tests around 30, I can't see even sitting for it. Another problem is that I get HOSED on the Humanities Verbal, I'm solid at the Natural Sciences & Technology and Social Sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your subscores in each section? That may help us identify a problem.

As far as answering easy questions poorly, most of that comes with attention. Just focus completely and it may help. Keep taking some practices and see what happens.

Nontraditional 3.9 gpa but my AAMC practice tests have been on the weak side (AAMC #9 = 24, AAMC #3 = 23) and the REAL PROBLEM is that I get like half of the easy questions wrong and get 90% on the hard questions right. Is this just rust? After looking at the answers to a lot of these questions I realized I knew almost all of them (but that's probably always how it works). Maybe I am just overthinking it? Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of flippin through EK1001 to reinforce some basics.

I always thought the MCAT was the type of test to "TRICK YOU" but it appears more straightforward than that, it didn't seem that hard either but I don't know why I didn't score better either so I'm a little upside down here. I want to take the January 23 Test but If I don't have a couple of practice tests around 30, I can't see even sitting for it. Another problem is that I get HOSED on the Humanities Verbal, I'm solid at the Natural Sciences & Technology and Social Sciences.

Can you elaborate on your study strategy thus far?

Subscores are 8-9-7. My problem is I just finished Physics 2 a week ago, I haven't really studied topics like Fluids or Electric Circuits long enough, there are some biology topics I don't feel 100% on, but chemistry I just need to get FASTER, I know the topics I know the material, I just have to learn how to recognize and solve quicker. I know I can do this, its just a matter of if I can do it within 5 weeks. I'm concerned about taking the new MCAT since I've focused so much of my energy on chemistry biology physics, I feel like this one is much more doable, but the timing may tip the scales. If I can't get a few 30s, I think I'll have to postpone. I'll check back in a week.