Need advice on what to do next..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayyoung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So any advice would be helpful. I am an SDN addict but this is my first time ever posting. I am really just trying to figure out my options and do not know what I should do next. Here are my stats and info:

I am finishing college early (I will be 20 when I graduate) and will graduate with a double major in Mathematics and Biochemistry. NJ resident but school in NC.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 28 (PS 9/ VR 9/ BS 10) --> main reason why I do not know what to do

- 250+ hours riding as an EMT on the rescue squad (180 hours of training to get EMT license)
- 40+ hours of shadowing (in OR and office)
- Medical brigade to Honduras (last summer)
- Vice President of a medical brigade to Ghana (this summer)
- A year of mathematical research and in the midst of publishing the paper (sent in to journals and next year my name will be on another paper)
- 4 semesters of being a Teaching/Lab assistant for Intro to Cell Biology
- Service chair for my fraternity
- 30 hours working at an open door clinic (front desk and paperwork)
- private tutor (80-100 hours probably)
- Decent scholarships and awards
- Starting Forward for Club Soccer (not sure how relevant that is)
- Studied abroad in Europe

- Good letters of Rec
- Good Personal Statement and Activities already written

So really I am lost in what to do next. I am really young and do not mind taking a year off and doing something else if I need but I would rather go straight to medical school. I am okay with either MD and DO. Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here. Honestly anything would be helpful. Do I apply? Do i do a post bacc program? Research? Take the MCAT again? Thanks in advance for helping!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are okay with DO and don't want to wait any longer I think you have a good chance at getting in with what you have. @Goro might be able to give you better advice though.

My immediate reaction is to suggest that you take some time off. Your GPA is nice and it looks like you have a variety of EC's. But being 20 yo may honestly put you at a disadvantage. Some adcoms may consider you too young and immature for med school. If I were in your position, I would take 1-2 years off. During this time, I would retake the MCAT and look for a job or even some type of commitment like Teach for America or Peace Corps. I don't think you need to do a postbacc though. But this is all assuming you're still trying for MD. I agree with justAstudent that if you don't mind DO, you would probably have a good chance getting in now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know a medical student who graduated in 3 years from college (due to being dually enrolled for last 2 years of high school). He was admitted straight to an MD school and was 21 when he started. I don't see how age is at all an issue, you've been obviously very mature for a quite some time now. Depending on your state, you may be competitive at your IS schools (in my state, you would). If you want to take a year off, do retake your MCAT it sounds like you did not get enough time to study for it the first time.

You are still very young and should probably take a gap year. Age is still a discrimination you will face. Does that 250 hours of EMT include the 180 of training? If it does, you are also lacking in significant clinical experience. If you do choose to do a gap year, focus on that would be my main recommendation and possibly continuing your research if you can.

Wow I did not expect responses so late! Thank you! Ya I get mixed reviews on the age. Some people say it will be a huge problem and others say it is not that big of a deal. Aerus, that 250 is separate from the training, so more than 400 hours in all. The general consensus seems like I should take a year off. I will look into different options. I think I always wanted to go straight to medical school but I know there is nothing wrong (probably actually beneficial) to taking a year off.

I would say take a year off and work as EMT. This will bump your clinical hours and will provide you with experience, which will be good when you interview. Also, taking a year off can allow you to study for the mcat in a more focused way and hopefully increase your numbers. Taking time off from school is a good experience anyways.

Wow I did not expect responses so late! Thank you! Ya I get mixed reviews on the age. Some people say it will be a huge problem and others say it is not that big of a deal. Aerus, that 250 is separate from the training, so more than 400 hours in all. The general consensus seems like I should take a year off. I will look into different options. I think I always wanted to go straight to medical school but I know there is nothing wrong (probably actually beneficial) to taking a year off.

I'm currently taking a gap year, and I'm honestly very excited for it. When I was a freshman or sophomore in college, I also wanted to go straight to med school and didn't even consider taking a gap year. But if you think about it, this might be one of the last opportunities for you to have full control over the activities in your life. After starting med school and residency, I expect to be busy and working for the next 40ish years! Not only could a gap year be helpful for your application, but it could also be fun if you choose the right activities and commitments (as long as you're not just bumming around). Good luck!

If I was to take a year off, I would just be working to pay my living expenses (because my Biology degree does not really lead to employment and I know people who are taking gap years only to work full time). You should do what YOU feel is right but I wouldn't let the age be the deciding factor. If you feel you can grow as a person, then by all means go for it.

Also I always get confused by this, but taking a year off just means that you will be applying at the time when you graduate (not a year after you graduate, as that would be 2 years off).

Last edited:
I'm currently taking a gap year, and I'm honestly very excited for it. When I was a freshman or sophomore in college, I also wanted to go straight to med school and didn't even consider taking a gap year. But if you think about it, this might be one of the last opportunities for you to have full control over the activities in your life. After starting med school and residency, I expect to be busy and working for the next 40ish years! Not only could a gap year be helpful for your application, but it could also be fun if you choose the right activities and commitments (as long as you're not just bumming around). Good luck!

+1
I was kinda sorta forced into a gap year (versus going straight-in) and I am so glad it happened, even despite being 100% set on medical school. The amount of maturing that I felt happened in the last year when finally out of school is just unreal. Gap years really can be great, especially for someone so young like you. Best of luck :)

Aim for all NJ schools, all low-tier MD, Quinnipiac, TCMC and the other new MD school (except Hoftsra and Va Tech) and any DO program, starting with Rowan, PCOM and NYCOM+ TUCOM-NY. I'd like to see more patient contact hrs and more non-clinical ECs...especially off-campus. Get out of your comfort zone. I don't think a retake of MCAT is needed at this point.

So really I am lost in what to do next. I am really young and do not mind taking a year off and doing something else if I need but I would rather go straight to medical school. I am okay with either MD and DO. Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here. Honestly anything would be helpful. Do I apply? Do i do a post bacc program? Research? Take the MCAT again? Thanks in advance for helping![/QUOTE]

I disagree that age will absolutely be a disadvantage. If you can show maturity at an interview that it really shouldn't be a problem. I think adcoms realize maturity is not a strict function of age and will give applicants the chance to prove it.

I agree with @justAstudent and @Goro. You're probably good for DO this year with your 28; lower chances (but certainly not impossible) for lower tier MD.
If you take a gap year and come back with a 30+ MCAT, your chances for mid-tier (or better, depending on MCAT) go way up.

So your choice --

Actually, Adcoms tend to look down upon overseas stuff, because too many people try to palm off visiting Nana/Abuela/Ajima in the Old Country or taking a trip to Cozumel and them calling it "medical mission". If you can document actual service, like providing a LOR from a preceptor, then all will be well.

also look for schools that will like the overseas volunteering experiences. It really depends on which schools you apply to and if you really have the maturity at such a young age, which would be helpful if mentioned in your LORs. I agree with other posts about NJ and DO where your MCAT will not be an issue. Even the 'low-tier" may be difficult, the new schools are now getting tons of applicants and are becoming more competitive Your chances will be better if you take a GAP year and get some clinical experience or more EMT experience. And apply early.

Thank you for all the advice! I have a lot to think about but I think all of the advice has helped me start to see what my real options are. I think I am going to apply to a few schools but begin to look for other options to fill a gap year. Thanks again!

Also, my medical brigades are through a large organization that happens to have the words medical brigade in the title to impoverished villages and it is all medical, dental, and public health. I can probably get a letter from someone in the organization proving it was not just a trip.