Need Advice On what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeremens

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in this great country for the past four years. I come from a country where medicine is reserved for the affluent. You must come from a very wealthy family before you will be accepted into medical school. Also, you should have a close relation in the medical fraternity before you will be considered for an interview. Yes, it is part of the requirement and yes, it happens in other countries. I happen to come from a loving family but unfortunately do not belong to these affluent social class. So as much as I wanted to be a doctor, it was all but a ferry tale. When I came to the states, I thought the same system applied here so did not even consider the possibility of trying for medical school. I have a wife and a kid and the sole provider for my family. so I applied to a cc with the intention of taking prereqs for nursing. I have taking almost all the prereqs and have a cgpa of 3.8 and a sgpa of 3.9. I am hoping to shoot my cgpa to 3.9 at the end of the semester. I stumbled upon this site when I was searching for prospects in nursing. I started reading the thread and realized that, most of the members have similar or unique story to tell and are actually making efforts to get to medical school. this has rejuvenated my desire of becoming an MD. My question is , is it feasible to finish the nursing and then take post bac so I can have a career that will cater for the family while preparing for medical school or should I just go ahead and take other causes I need for the mcat. I also did attend high school here. I have a GED. Will it raise a red flag when I apply to medical school. I need someone with an insight into my situation to advice me. I am 31 years with two jobs and have been doing 2 jobs throughout my schooling in the state. I need your candid advice. sorry for the lengthy post.

Members don't see this ad.

First things first, your GPA's are both great so make sure they stay that way.

How close are you to graduation? Finishing a nursing degree (bachelors) is not a bad plan in and of itself, and I say this because should you not secure a seat in medical school for whatever reason, it is a good career itself. You can time it out so you take the MCAT and interview during your senior year; this would elimante any need to do a post bac since you already have the prereqs done.

A GED shouldn't be a big issue considering you're doing well in your college courses.

I take it english is not your first language? In that case, do not take lightly the difficulty of the verbal section of the MCAT.

First things first, your GPA's are both great so make sure they stay that way.

How close are you to graduation? Finishing a nursing degree (bachelors) is not a bad plan in and of itself, and I say this because should you not secure a seat in medical school for whatever reason, it is a good career itself. You can time it out so you take the MCAT and interview during your senior year; this would elimante any need to do a post bac since you already have the prereqs done.

A GED shouldn't be a big issue considering you're doing well in your college courses.

I take it english is not your first language? In that case, do not take lightly the difficulty of the verbal section of the MCAT.
Thanks for the advice. I am supposed to commence next year for two years to get my BSN.All I need for MCAT is physics and organic chemistry which I intend taking in between semesters. And yes, English is not my first language and is the main reason why I do not have a 4.0 gpa. keep getting A- and B* in my English classes as hard as I try. I will definitely consider your advice. thanks again