Need advice on whether I can and how to proceed from switching from Business to Pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roland225

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as you read in the title, I am switching over to Bio/premed from a business major in the second semester of my sophomore year. I currently have a 3.28 cGPA (low I know) which can go lower or higher based on the this semester's final grades (if it does go lower it wont get much lower). I have not taken any science courses yet so I believe that is a positive. I am taking level 100 Chem and Bio courses next semester at my community college and then transferring to a 4 year university next fall where I will take the majority of my pre reqs for med school. I am ready to do whatever it takes in order to get into med school. I was quite lazy so far in college and did not apply myself much which shows in my GPA, but I am ready to get serious. After doing around 2 months of research on a career in medicine, I know its what I want to do. So is it possible based on my situation? Any advice will help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of research led you to this decision?
I did a lot of looking around on SDN, I've read countless articles and posts on careers in medicine, watched videos and all that. Asked questions to experienced people, I think I have made a sound decision based upon all the information I have obtained

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a lot of looking around on SDN, I've read countless articles and posts on careers in medicine, watched videos and all that. Asked questions to experienced people, I think I have made a sound decision based upon all the information I have obtained

If I were you...

1. Find the easiest route to hit all the pre-med requisites while still graduating in a timely/cost-effective manner. This could be continuing with your business major and taking pre-req's on the side. It could also be by switching your major. Sit with an adviser and determine the smoothest transition path possible.
2. Find a better reason for switching. I see medicine as my best choice for a career - but I would not believe this if it wasn't for the loads of patient-care experience I earned in the years preceding my decision. Find a physician to shadow to shadow. Check out a few specialties. Get an entry-level healthcare job (EMT, CNA, Scribe, etc.). I understand that others have told you about their positive experiences but you need to see it yourself (and not just understand it conceptually!).
3. Many medical schools reward reinvention. An upward trend, strong MCAT, strong research and clinical experiences will accumulate into you being a strong applicant.

It's definitely not too late. Time to get off SDN, stop reading articles, stop everything you are doing and go get your feet wet!

If I were you...

1. Find the easiest route to hit all the pre-med requisites while still graduating in a timely/cost-effective manner. This could be continuing with your business major and taking pre-req's on the side. It could also be by switching your major. Sit with an adviser and determine the smoothest transition path possible.
2. Find a better reason for switching. I see medicine as my best choice for a career - but I would not believe this if it wasn't for the loads of patient-care experience I earned in the years preceding my decision. Find a physician to shadow to shadow. Check out a few specialties. Get an entry-level healthcare job (EMT, CNA, Scribe, etc.). I understand that others have told you about their positive experiences but you need to see it yourself (and not just understand it conceptually!).
3. Many medical schools reward reinvention. An upward trend, strong MCAT, strong research and clinical experiences will accumulate into you being a strong applicant.

It's definitely not too late. Time to get off SDN, stop reading articles, stop everything you are doing and go get your feet wet!
Ok thank you for the advice, i really appreciate it. So even with my low gpa it can still be done? Also im taking bio 1 and chem 1 at a community college, is that bad?

So as you read in the title, I am switching over to Bio/premed from a business major in the second semester of my sophomore year. I currently have a 3.28 cGPA (low I know) which can go lower or higher based on the this semester's final grades (if it does go lower it wont get much lower). I have not taken any science courses yet so I believe that is a positive. I am taking level 100 Chem and Bio courses next semester at my community college and then transferring to a 4 year university next fall where I will take the majority of my pre reqs for med school. I am ready to do whatever it takes in order to get into med school. I was quite lazy so far in college and did not apply myself much which shows in my GPA, but I am ready to get serious. After doing around 2 months of research on a career in medicine, I know its what I want to do. So is it possible based on my situation? Any advice will help, thank you!
Quite doable if you can do well (GPA > 3.5) from now on.

Ok thank you for the advice, i really appreciate it. So even with my low gpa it can still be done? Also im taking bio 1 and chem 1 at a community college, is that bad?

As Goro said, you'll need to up your GPA's from now on. Taking some prerequisites at a community college as a means to buff your GPA is generally looked down upon. Taking it as a way to catch-up on coursework isn't terrible - provided you take advanced coursework / the bulk of your prereq's at a 4-year school (and score as-well / better than you had done at the community college).

Definitely not too late. Good luck!

You need some hands on experience too. Find a job or volunteer opportunities in the health care field. Get some patient contact. Find a few physicians to shadow to see what their day to day activities are. See if you can envision yourself working with the sick and injured for the next 40 years. (These activities will also be good for your application). You’ll need non clinical volunteering too. Activities that will show your altruism. Medicine is a service profession and you have to prove to the ADCOMS that you are fully aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Keep working on your GPA. The average GPA for med school is around 3.6 or above(MD). DO is a bit lower but it rises every year. Investigate the possibility of DO v MD. You should probably plan on applying after you graduate so you have all of your grades to work with. You’ll also have to take the MCAT and score well. These are the basics but as you move along in the process you’ll figure stuff out. Go see a premed advisor and develop a plan of action.

Good luck.