NEED ADVICE, PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnpbruin13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have just graduated from UCLA with a degree in Psychobiology. My dream is to go to optometry school, however, my experience at UCLA has been the most difficult in my life, and I was unfortunately only able to end with a 2.7 overall GPA, I'm too scared to even calculate my science GPA. I decided to apply to a post-bacc program at CSULA, however, I GOT DENIED TO THAT. I was extremely disappointed, as I figured this would be my chance to prove myself and get myself on the road to optometry school.
I would LOVE advice for what anyone thinks I can potentially do in order to prepare for becoming a better candidate for optometry school. Here are some of the thoughts I had in mind:
1. take courses at a community college, science courses to help raise my overall and science GPA.
2. enroll in a continuing education/open university type of enrollment at a CSU and take classes from there.
3. wait to apply again next year.

I was pretty set on going to a community college, however, I am still very confused on how it differs from a post-bacc program. I understand that it may not "look as good" or that I won't be receiving a certificate at the end, but don't they both allow you to raise your GPA if you are just taking classes? If someone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it along with any other advice! Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with a history major and spent 2 years taking pre-req classes before going to OD school (current 1st year). Quite a few were at a community college (a couple were re-takes from the sciences I didn't care about and got C's in while a history major lol). I also took some at local universities -- b/c I was working and just had to pick out what worked around my schedule. Some of the best courses I've taken have been at community colleges, though - loved my time there.
So, if I were in your position I would see if I could maybe get a job or some shadowing experience part time while taking classes at local community college or university (CSU? in your case?) also part-time.

Thank you so much for your response, kayrayy! I have been obtaining shadowing experience since last year and have a job at an ophthalmologist's office and plan on continuing my shadowing in the future. However, I'm just worried because I emailed the admissions counselor for the optometry school I wanted to go to and she said that she doesn't think going to a community college would help me since my GPA is low and that I should do the post-bacc. I'm so confused as to why it wouldn't be able to help me, I just thought that as long as I could take more courses and do well in them, they could help boost my GPA. But thank you so much for your advice, I think I will end up taking courses at a cc, I just want to know what the best option is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you've already graduated it would take quite a few credit hours to get your gpa up into a good range. I was told by admissions representatives that courses taken at community college do not have the same respect for classes taken at a university. Anyone should be able to get A's at a community college. I agree with the admissions rep, take the post bac and show that you are very committed and are a better student than your undergrad gpa shows. Also, a lot schools don't want your pre-reqs, particularly science courses, from a community college.

Since you've already graduated it would take quite a few credit hours to get your gpa up into a good range. I was told by admissions representatives that courses taken at community college do not have the same respect for classes taken at a university. Anyone should be able to get A's at a community college. I agree with the admissions rep, take the post bac and show that you are very committed and are a better student than your undergrad gpa shows. Also, a lot schools don't want your pre-reqs, particularly science courses, from a community college.
Thanks so much for your response! The problem is, I have already taken 90% of my pre-reqs, so I'm pretty much looking to just take a bunch of science courses in general, to boost my GPA. But I definitely see what you're saying, so should I wait until next year to apply again to the post-bacc prgram since I was rejected for this upcoming school year? Or should I take classes at a 4-year CSU in the meantime as a nonmatriculated student?

I would probably talk to the schools you are interested in doing the post-bacc at. I would want to spend as little money as possible, so if they think you can get in as is I'd hold off and just work! With 4 years worth of credits, it will be hard to boost your gpa that much in a years time! Optometry school is also a large financial investment, so if you can limit your spending now, it will be beneficial in the long term!

Hello, I have just graduated from UCLA with a degree in Psychobiology. My dream is to go to optometry school, however, my experience at UCLA has been the most difficult in my life, and I was unfortunately only able to end with a 2.7 overall GPA, I'm too scared to even calculate my science GPA. I decided to apply to a post-bacc program at CSULA, however, I GOT DENIED TO THAT. I was extremely disappointed, as I figured this would be my chance to prove myself and get myself on the road to optometry school.
I would LOVE advice for what anyone thinks I can potentially do in order to prepare for becoming a better candidate for optometry school. Here are some of the thoughts I had in mind:
1. take courses at a community college, science courses to help raise my overall and science GPA.
2. enroll in a continuing education/open university type of enrollment at a CSU and take classes from there.
3. wait to apply again next year.

I was pretty set on going to a community college, however, I am still very confused on how it differs from a post-bacc program. I understand that it may not "look as good" or that I won't be receiving a certificate at the end, but don't they both allow you to raise your GPA if you are just taking classes? If someone could clarify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it along with any other advice! Thank you so much in advance!

Kind of am/was in the same boat. I graduated with a sub-par 3.0 and decided to take a break after I graduated Spring 2013 after following advice from Optometry schools and my Pre-Health Advisor (i.e. they told me work and take upper level science classes (graduate, post bacc, etc) to prove I can handle the coursework and busy schedule). My BS was in Microbiology but I also worked basically full-time when I was in undergrad and like you had a difficult transition in undergrad. I work full-time for a Biotechnology/infectious disease company in R&D and I have been able to do my MS in Biological Sciences/Molecular Biology through them as a part-time student. That's sort of how I found my way around having added expense from taking upper level courses (since I get educational reimbursement). My suggestion maybe would be to find somewhere that could do this for you too. Initially, I was only accepted as a non-degree student and had to take 2-3 classes and maintaining at least a 3.75 to be admitted into the MS graduate program. Didn't take NO for an answer. I had a lot of people tell me I wasn't cut out for upper level courses... but I ended up proving them wrong. Time off is not always a bad thing! Basically, I've kept myself extremely busy with shadowing, studying for OATs, working 40+ hours a week, doing PPAC, and taking 6-9 graduate credits a semester all while maintaining mainly A's. It's tough, but I have found this to help soldify my desire and motivation to become an Optometrist. I've also found my time management skill, networking, and maturity to grow with the time I have had off and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. I think my only road block right now is retaking that OAT :p. I'll be applying as a non-trad student for fall 2016. Goodluck!!! PM me if you want to talk I definitely know how it feels!

Last edited:
I would probably talk to the schools you are interested in doing the post-bacc at. I would want to spend as little money as possible, so if they think you can get in as is I'd hold off and just work! With 4 years worth of credits, it will be hard to boost your gpa that much in a years time! Optometry school is also a large financial investment, so if you can limit your spending now, it will be beneficial in the long term!
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate the advice!