need advice, plz!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bz2fcuk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm going to be a junior at Queens College (CUNY). I have some questions that I hope you guys can answer. Im thinking of applying to dental school. I already took 2 chems, 2 orgos, 2 bios and still have to take physics.
The thing is my science GPA is low. I'm a psychology major and I have bvery good grades for psych classes (major GPA = 3.8), My overall GPA is about 3.2 but I'm trying to raise it.
These are the questions:
1. Do I have a chance of getting into dental school with low science GPA, high major GPA, and most likely a good overall GPA (i hope i will raise it)?
2. What do i need to do to have a better chance of getting in?
3. How well should I do on my DAT?

You see, I'm currently working as a dental asisstant for a little over a year in a dental office. There are two doctors working there (twin brothers) and they are both NYU graduates. Im hoping to get a really good letter of recommendation from them. I have a really good experience and know a great deal about dental field.

I need some advice from you guys. Im going to post this in Dentists section as well. Thank you for your replies. I'll be waiting for them...

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I have to make a disclaimer, I can only tell you my opinions and personal experiences here (not necesarily the facts). :rolleyes:

#1 - The schools you apply to all have different criteria they weight more heavily, so contact the schools and find out what they think is important. Also ask them the average science and overall GPA of the last few classes that have entered as well as their average DAT scores. If you are close to a dental school go and visit it, and try to set up a meeting with the dean of admissions to introduce yourself etc. Talk to some of the current students to see if they have any advice about their school too.

#2 - GPA is going to be important within reason, don't think you can slack off and get by (actually some people probably have), but just do your best.

#3 - Your experience in the dental field is good. What about leadership positions? or volunteer work? or research? or a hobby you really excel at (like running in marathons)? You don't necesarrily need everything, but the more you have the better.

#4 - The better you do on the DAT the better off you are. If you want me to give a number (my opinion only) I would say to try to get into the 20's because you will be well above average. A good DAT score can "make up" for a slightly lower GPA at some schools.

This is a very subjective topic, and you would be best served by actually contacting the schools you are interested in to find out what things they look for, and what they have accepted in the recent past.

Hope that gives you some direction. :confused:

grtuck

Hey, too busy to ****. What a screen name...

I think I know your bosses. Aren't they Korean who graduated from NYU just a few years ago?

Anyway, what's your science GPA? Did you say it was 3.2? If it's indeed 3.2 and you manage to get a 18 (19 is safer though) on the DAT, you have a great shot at getting accepted into NYU.

Just curious. How did you get interested in dentistry given that you're majoring in psychology?