need advice, thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hereiam12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks

I matched this year into family medicine. However, I wanted peds and always have wanted to go into peds. I am a US-IMG and I didnt do any electives in peds during my MS-4. In my school, if you want to do eletives of your choice, you have to wait for them to become avalible. I didnt want to prolong my graduation time. Hence, I went with whatever they had. So lack of peds background might have been the reason why I didnt match into peds. I want peds because I am very passinate about going into hem/onc. I always wanted to do hem/onc. I spent time in adult and i like it. I volunteered sometime in peds hem/onc and i LOVED it.
Now I matched in family medicine and I dont know how will I ever achive my dream. I asked few people about my program director and most of my friends have told me that PD will never let me transfer. Program director would rather kick me out of the program:( .
I been thinking of finishing my family medicine residency and then after 3 years apply to pediatrics residency and there after do my fellowship. While I am in family medicine, just do research in peds hem/onc. I also fear of the funding issues. I dont know how good of a plan this is.
I am very lucky to match in first place. I mean as a US-IMG. I know these days matching into anything is a huge. I feel for applicants who are just as good as me and even better, who didnt match. However, I really love hem/onc and peds hem/onc is almost a calling for me.
Please advice me on how to approch this issue. If there are any peds program director on this forum, please advice me on how to tackle this issue!
Thanks a lot for all of your kind help and time!:)

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=992431

Please don't cross-post, it violates the rules you agreed to when you joined SDN.

I've directed anyone who is interested to your original thread which already has numerous responses.

This thread will be closed, but it will remain here with the link to the other thread so those who wish to respond can do so on the original thread.

thanks

OBP

Status
Not open for further replies.