Need Advice!!!!! URM: 3.59 cGPA, 3.41 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

withsomeluck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I have a 3.59 cGPA and a 3.41sGPA. I haven't taken my mcat but will be taking it in 2 weeks! :x
I think I'll be getting at least a 30. I am URM, mexican-american.
I have some pretty good EC's, along with LORs.
Do I have a shot at any MD schools? What about DO?

The downside of my application is my grade trend:
First year: 3.85
Second: 3.78
Junior: 3.08 (w/out spring grades)

**Total GPA: cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.41
Does being a URM help? My EC's are focused around my underserved community...

**I have a good reason as to why my gpa went down. I transferred to a UC here in california, had to work two part-time jobs to support family back home due to my father passing away; drove back and forth from school to home a lot to visit. That's because I have two younger sisters, aged 11 and 9 who desperately need me there as a father figure, and to continuously comfort my mother who ever since, has been depressed. The only reason why I chose to transfer is so I can challenge myself; but my circumstances have proven otherwise.
So is there any part of the application as to where I can indicate this?

Thanks, any advice would help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that with a good MCAT, you can wrangle some interviews. Then you can explain the sinking grade trend.

Alright, so I have a 3.59 cGPA and a 3.41sGPA. I haven't taken my mcat but will be taking it in 2 weeks! :x
I think I'll be getting at least a 30. I am URM, mexican-american.
I have some pretty good EC's, along with LORs.
Do I have a shot at any MD schools? What about DO?

The downside of my application is my grade trend:
First year: 3.85
Second: 3.78
Junior: 3.08 (w/out spring grades)

**Total GPA: cGPA: 3.59, sGPA: 3.41
Does being a URM help? My EC's are focused around my underserved community...

**I have a good reason as to why my gpa went down. I transferred to a UC here in california, had to work two part-time jobs to support family back home due to my father passing away; drove back and forth from school to home a lot to visit. That's because I have two younger sisters, aged 11 and 9 who desperately need me there as a father figure, and to continuously comfort my mother who ever since, has been depressed. The only reason why I chose to transfer is so I can challenge myself; but my circumstances have proven otherwise.
So is there any part of the application as to where I can indicate this?

Thanks, any advice would help!!

Being a URM will help, and if you do well on the MCAT that will really help! And hopefully you did better this past spring. I'm sure you will mention your circumstances in your personal statement and some schools secondaries do offer space for comments regarding grades, unusual circumstances or anything else the committee should know when they evaluate you. Another common question in a lot of my secondaries was to explain a difficult situation and how you overcame it and you have that one locked down!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input!
I'm hoping I get a 30-32 on my mcat, so we'll see how that goes!
I'm currently working on my personal statement so I'll be putting everything together, I just don't want it to seem as if I'm seeking pity from them

I'm going to be sending in my transcript before my spring quarter grades are up; My school doesn't get the grades on our transcripts until 3-5 weeks after the quarter ends. So with my stats being average, I figured it's more important to submit early than to wait for my grades and not have my application being looked at until september with how long verification would take.

My spring grades should be better w/ atleast a 3.6 for the quarter; I'm taking upper-div cell bio and 2 neurobiology courses. Do medical schools let you update them on spring grades if you didn't include it in your transcripts like I will be doing?

I think that with a good MCAT, you can wrangle some interviews. Then you can explain the sinking grade trend.

Is this advice strictly for DO or for MD?

If you get a MCAT in the 30-32 range (break 30) you have a great shot at an MD. A 3.6 GPA and a 32 MCAT would put you at the average at several lesser-competitive state medical schools (many with an average around around 3.7/30). On top of all that, you have a difficult life story plus Mexican-American status. Just focus on studying for the MCAT and breaking 30, with good essays/interview you should be fine for MD.

If you get a MCAT in the 30-32 range (break 30) you have a great shot at an MD. A 3.6 GPA and a 32 MCAT would put you at the average at several lesser-competitive state medical schools (many with an average around around 3.7/30). On top of all that, you have a difficult life story plus Mexican-American status. Just focus on studying for the MCAT and breaking 30, with good essays/interview you should be fine for MD.

That's good to hear! I'm going to try my best to pull of a 30 or higher; I'll be taking it on the 30th! Do you think I have a shot for California schools though?

I need help with the out of state schools I will be applying to. I will be applying to all CA schools, even though my stats may be below average, but here's my oos list:

Albany Medical College
Chicago-Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel
Quinnipiac University
Georgetown University
Hofstra North Shore
Jefferson Medical College
Loyola Univ-Chicago
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State Univ.
Saint Louis University
Stony Brook Univ.
Temple univ.
The commonwealth Medical college
Tufts University
Wake Forest School of Med.
Western Michigan Univ.

I'm trying to keep this to a max of 15 schools. I used the MSAR to match up my gpa and potential mcat score (atleast a 30). Let me know if this list seems pretty good or if you have any suggestions on schools I should take out or add. Thanks!