Need Advice: Wayne State vs Saint Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worthlis

Reaction score
To preface, both of these schools are out of state, with CoA roughly the same. I have no preference for location or environment/weather. Would really appreciate any advice/opinions on which school you think is better.

Wayne:
Pros
  • Diverse patient population.
  • Better access to research opportunities.
  • Solid match list.
  • Was given some financial aid.
  • Cheaper cost of living.

Cons
  • Large class size.
  • Lottery system for clinicals.
  • Have read iffy things about the administration (but unsure how much is true).
  • Unsure if P/F.

SLU:
Pros
  • P/F, 1.5 year pre-clinicals.
  • Non-mandatory lectures.
  • New SSM Hospital.
  • Solid match list.
  • Smaller class size compared to Wayne.
Cons
  • Fewer research opportunities.
  • Past LCME probation in 2017.
  • No financial aid.
  • Higher cost of living.

Overall, both seem like good schools from what I could find online but would appreciate any advice on which school you think would be better.

Members don't see this ad.

I think SLU rather easily but would be curious to see what others say
I don't know a ton about Wayne state tbh

Equal.
Both are in old cities founded by the French (Detroit and St. Louis) and both are on rivers.
Kidding aside, I think Wayne is perhaps a hair better with a huge alumni base. I know that Wayne students match well into ophtho (my field). I don’t know much about SLU.

I think SLU rather easily but would be curious to see what others say
I don't know a ton about Wayne state tbh
I’m in the same boat, but based on the pro/con list, I think definitely SLU. The cons of SLU are much less worrisome than the cons for Wayne. I can’t speak to the research at Wayne, but the research at SLU isn’t the best but is still solid. For example, at SLU you can do the research elective (and there is proximity to other institutions like WashU as well).