Need advice. Would you do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At end of the day, I'm not saying this to crush your dreams or be mean to you, believe it or not.

Under the best circumstances, when you have demonstrated that you have what it takes, medicine is such a challenging career that even those that are cut out for it crash and burnout.

If you don't have every aptitude going for you, it will be a miserable mistake. Even if you do, it can be a miserable mistake.

Earlier, that's why I said another career will be better for you, you just don't know it yet. Getting too far down the doc path only to learn it isn't really right for you, is suicide inducing. I'm talking people who cut it academically, but it was still wrong. People that struggle and don't make it? That's a fate that an be as bad as death.

This is why I'm being harsh with you. Even if you were a superstar, I'd say tread with caution. Someone that's flunked once? If you can find a new dream, you will be happier, that's true for many applicants, and I really believe is true for you.

There are other health professions. If altruism is the heart of why you want this (it really should be, if altruism isn't #1 on your list, again, medicine is a bad pick), keep in mind there are other service careers. Military, clergy, teaching, police, fightfighting, social work, non-profits, charities, research, some types of lawyers, nursing homes, foster care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Long story short.

I'm all about pushing against expected roles. I believe whole heartedly in the stories author/speaker Malcolm Gladwell put together in his excellent book "Outliers". The number of people coming from nothing, pushing against the grain, defeating all odds, and being successful are many. Gladwell wrote at length about the attitude of those people he discussed in his book including, of all people, the Beatles. Paul, John, George and Ringo practiced 10,000 hours to perfect their craft...in brothels, strip clubs and the red light district in Hamburg, Germany. Their audience members were too stoned, too drunk, or fixated on having sex, that they couldn't have cared less who was playing guitar music. The Beatles saw their audience as an opportunity to put in their 10,000 hours and be the best rock group ever (IMHO).

One of my many heroes is Dr. Abraham Verghese. He was born in Ethiopia yet went to India to attend medical school, the country of his parents. Dr. Verghese earned a medical degree (MBBS) at Madras University in India.

[Insert here SDN bullying of FMGs]

Dr Verghese is presently a professor at Stanford U SOM with multiple and prestigious administrative titles. You can read about his professional and spiritual evolution in his best selling book, My Own Country: A Doctor's Story. He matured greatly when he trained as a resident physician in rural Tennessee (FMG, remember?) and later confronted an explosion of HIV/AIDS in rural America (after doing a fellowship in Boston).

The unifying theme in the characters of Gladwell's "Outliers" book and Dr. Verghese is that they demonstrated keen maturity and insight in their vision, their willingness to learn, work hard, sacrifice and delay gratification. The Beatles and Dr. V put in their 10,000 hours to realize their dreams.

I am loathe to "diagnose" anyone without meeting them face to face so I will not. However, you have managed to alienate everyone who has given you friendly and helpful advice.

Your problem is not GPA or MCAT.

If you really wanted to pull off medical school given your history, you would have simply taken Organic Chemistry I & II, Physics I & II, Gen Chem I & II, etc, taken the MCAT and would have applied to LCME/ USA medical schools....without telling anyone a word about it.

Instead you have stormed SDN and created a huge mess of a food fight.

Work on your Emotional IQ

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
The problem I have with the blunt approach is that it's really wrong and in poor-taste. Generally speaking, sure be blunt if you wish but I would be more blunt with someone who has no idea what they are doing. I.E. the student going to the Caribbean who wants to become a cardiothoracic surgeon and who has no idea what that is or the pre-med who is hell bent on EC's at the expense of their grades. I think I've been pretty honest with my past and my future goals, and that I have learned that there are no shortcuts to an MD. I thought I'd be past the blunt stage but I guess that's not the case. To be more frank, a DOA in my situation would be multiple comp shelf failures or a STEP1 failure. At that stage, feel free to say "move on." I am nowhere near that.

Sounds like you've got your plan, the only other thing I'll say is that you'll need to be ready to deal with the "blunt approach" on a regular basis. Honestly, a lot of what's been said in this thread is far more polite than what I've heard attendings say on the wards or how med students and residents are treated. Medicine is not some happy field filled with kind-hearted and compassionate people like many people seem to think it is. There are a lot of people who are a$$holes and frankly dgaf about you being there. Some of the things I've heard people say on the wards or things friends have heard would get people in almost any other industry fired. That's just how medicine is.

A lot of people here are giving you their honest opinion and not sugar coating it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but you're going to have to learn to deal with it if you want to succeed in medicine. If you can't, you're going to make enemies out of people who can legitimately destroy your career, I've seen it happen and it's not pretty. Even if you don't do anything wrong, if the attending is in a bad mood you can become the punching bag, and talking back or standing up for yourself will only get you negative remarks or a fail for the rotation. It sucks, but that's the reality of medicine. Just a heads up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First we have to clarify a few things here.

Medicine is not a one-size-fits-all career. You might think it is but it isn't. Let me explain.

Sure, some of you guys seem like the type-A, straight-A breed and that's fine. Excellence gets you far and it opens up more doors and more opportunities. But not all of us are interested in cracking chests, working within a trauma center, or seeing the rarest of cases at the biggest hospitals. That might be what drew you to medicine but not me. I've worked in an ED, I've worked in a hospital for 15 years, I'm a patient, and I've paid attention during all of it. I've seen doctors treat the frequent fliers in the ED without really helping them actually; only to send them back into same environment that keeps sending them back to the ED, I've seen a doctor do an abdominal hysterectomy and cut a ureter, I've seen a doctor clip the hepatic duct during a cholecystectomy and tell a nurse to fudge the chart, I've seen a doctor kill a patient putting a central line in, I've seen a group of doctors go to federal prison for accepting bribes in exchange for lab referrals, I've seen doctors fail to catch a dangerous DVT because they were too busy focusing on the guy's Crohn's disease. I've seen a doctor diagnose a clot in the external iliac as sciatica. I've seen enough that if you were to ask me based on some of these shenanigans what I thought about doctors, I would say "I hope I never get sick and die of old age because these doctors are all stupid, incompetent, and corrupt." My point being is this, excellence does not breed excellence. Based on your theory of excellence, I would think the above is pretty basic stuff that should not happen with an MD or DO next to your name; but to each their own. I guess the adcom's forgot to screen these guys properly because they sure as hell are not how I would define excellence.

That's fine even if most programs don't want to take a chance on me, I will accept that as a result of what I am bringing to the table. I would apply strategically and make the appropriate connections to locate programs that would be a better fit for me. All I need is one program, even a program in rural America that says "we think you'll be a good fit for our program." That one shot is all I need and that one shot is somewhere, and that one shot is the opportunity I need to prove my worth as a future physician. It might not be what you're looking for but it may what I need.

Keep in mind that you can have a Caribbean grad complete all of their rotations at a small community hospital, match into a similar program, and be just as fulfilled working in preventative care within a small community without seeing any of the action you type-A people so desire. It's the truth; you might look down on them but they are still a doctor and they are still helping people in tremendous ways. Think of the frequent flier in the ED, if he had access to a good primary care doc, he wouldn't be in the ED in the first place. Medicine isn't always about treating disease, it's also about preventing it. I don't really watch TV but some of the stuff I see on these reality medical shows, well that doesn't happen at every hospital in America. It just doesn't.

Family medicine is not cardiology. Cardiology is not surgery and so forth. What about doctors that operate solely on an outpatient basis? Do you know of doctors who know everything about everything?

My initial post was just getting some feedback about where I was and where I was going. There are some people that gave me good, unbiased advice and then there were those that proceeded to attack me. For what? What I do? Did I commit a crime? I made a poor decision to apply to a third-tier Caribbean school with low stats and I did not succeed, I got back up and now I am devising a plan to fix my mistakes and get back on track. There is no need to tell me that I am done. We don't know that. Basic sciences is not clinical medicine. The issue here is basic sciences and passing STEP1 and 2. Lets keep the discussion focused on that right now, arguing beyond that is just splitting hairs right now.

Becoming a doctor is not for everybody, yeah the Dean told us that many times. But don't think that "everybody" is referring to people like me. "Everybody" could also be you. Grades are one thing, you don't know what else people like myself can bring to the table. And if you don't know that, I would never count us out.

Medicine is not a one-size-fits-all career. You might think it is but it isn't. Let me explain.

Sure, some of you guys seem like the type-A, straight-A breed and that's fine. Excellence gets you far and it opens up more doors and more opportunities. But not all of us are interested in cracking chests, working within a trauma center, or seeing the rarest of cases at the biggest hospitals. That might be what drew you to medicine but not me. I've worked in an ED, I've worked in a hospital for 15 years, I'm a patient, and I've paid attention during all of it. I've seen doctors treat the frequent fliers in the ED without really helping them actually; only to send them back into same environment that keeps sending them back to the ED, I've seen a doctor do an abdominal hysterectomy and cut a ureter, I've seen a doctor clip the hepatic duct during a cholecystectomy and tell a nurse to fudge the chart, I've seen a doctor kill a patient putting a central line in, I've seen a group of doctors go to federal prison for accepting bribes in exchange for lab referrals, I've seen doctors fail to catch a dangerous DVT because they were too busy focusing on the guy's Crohn's disease. I've seen a doctor diagnose a clot in the external iliac as sciatica. I've seen enough that if you were to ask me based on some of these shenanigans what I thought about doctors, I would say "I hope I never get sick and die of old age because these doctors are all stupid, incompetent, and corrupt." My point being is this, excellence does not breed excellence. Based on your theory of excellence, I would think the above is pretty basic stuff that should not happen with an MD or DO next to your name; but to each their own. I guess the adcom's forgot to screen these guys properly because they sure as hell are not how I would define excellence.

That's fine even if most programs don't want to take a chance on me, I will accept that as a result of what I am bringing to the table. I would apply strategically and make the appropriate connections to locate programs that would be a better fit for me. All I need is one program, even a program in rural America that says "we think you'll be a good fit for our program." That one shot is all I need and that one shot is somewhere, and that one shot is the opportunity I need to prove my worth as a future physician. It might not be what you're looking for but it may what I need.

Keep in mind that you can have a Caribbean grad complete all of their rotations at a small community hospital, match into a similar program, and be just as fulfilled working in preventative care within a small community without seeing any of the action you type-A people so desire. It's the truth; you might look down on them but they are still a doctor and they are still helping people in tremendous ways. Think of the frequent flier in the ED, if he had access to a good primary care doc, he wouldn't be in the ED in the first place. Medicine isn't always about treating disease, it's also about preventing it. I don't really watch TV but some of the stuff I see on these reality medical shows, well that doesn't happen at every hospital in America. It just doesn't.

Family medicine is not cardiology. Cardiology is not surgery and so forth. What about doctors that operate solely on an outpatient basis? Do you know of doctors who know everything about everything?

My initial post was just getting some feedback about where I was and where I was going. There are some people that gave me good, unbiased advice and then there were those that proceeded to attack me. For what? What I do? Did I commit a crime? I made a poor decision to apply to a third-tier Caribbean school with low stats and I did not succeed, I got back up and now I am devising a plan to fix my mistakes and get back on track. There is no need to tell me that I am done. We don't know that. Basic sciences is not clinical medicine. The issue here is basic sciences and passing STEP1 and 2. Lets keep the discussion focused on that right now, arguing beyond that is just splitting hairs right now.

Becoming a doctor is not for everybody, yeah the Dean told us that many times. But don't think that "everybody" is referring to people like me. "Everybody" could also be you. Grades are one thing, you don't know what else people like myself can bring to the table. And if you don't know that, I would never count us out.

I'm not going to be cracking chests either. I matched in psychiatry. Still, I put everything that I had into medical school and came out with scores and grades that could have landed me in any specialty I wanted. Why did I do this? Because my patients deserve it. My patients deserve the most committed, knowledgeable, capable doctor I can be.

So yes, in one sense medicine is one-size-fits-all. If you can't put your all into it and learn how to provide excellent care, medicine is not for you. It's not fair to the patients. Now at the end of medical school, one thing above all else has become crystal clear: medicine is never about you, it is about the patients. It doesn't matter how much you want to be a physician. If you don't have the drive or ability to learn how to provide excellent care, you have to walk away. Patients should not be made to suffer for your personal glory.

Most of the rest of this post is nonsense about how you don't think knowing more about medicine and accomplishing more as a doctor makes you a better doctor. Surely you must know this isn't true.

Last edited:

Sure, some of you guys seem like the type-A, straight-A breed and that's fine. Excellence gets you far and it opens up more doors and more opportunities. But not all of us are interested in cracking chests, working within a trauma center, or seeing the rarest of cases at the biggest hospitals.

The focus on excellence I described applies to all in the profession. Any clinician, including, especially those in primary care, are responsible for an enormous amount of material, which you highlight yourself, below.

That might be what drew you to medicine but not me. I've worked in an ED, I've worked in a hospital for 15 years, I'm a patient, and I've paid attention during all of it. I've seen doctors treat the frequent fliers in the ED without really helping them actually; only to send them back into same environment that keeps sending them back to the ED, I've seen a doctor do an abdominal hysterectomy and cut a ureter, I've seen a doctor clip the hepatic duct during a cholecystectomy and tell a nurse to fudge the chart, I've seen a doctor kill a patient putting a central line in, I've seen a group of doctors go to federal prison for accepting bribes in exchange for lab referrals, I've seen doctors fail to catch a dangerous DVT because they were too busy focusing on the guy's Crohn's disease. I've seen a doctor diagnose a clot in the external iliac as sciatica. I've seen enough that if you were to ask me based on some of these shenanigans what I thought about doctors, I would say "I hope I never get sick and die of old age because these doctors are all stupid, incompetent, and corrupt." My point being is this, excellence does not breed excellence. Based on your theory of excellence, I would think the above is pretty basic stuff that should not happen with an MD or DO next to your name; but to each their own. I guess the adcom's forgot to screen these guys properly because they sure as hell are not how I would define excellence.

Aside from the bribes and dishonest documentation, everything you described are just medical errors. They happen to even the most knowledgeable and competent physicians. In fact, you sound rather arrogant for never having completed medical school or having any practice experience, to be hindsight judging what happened in those cases.

Clipping a ureter is the most common complication of a hysterectomy, and something ob/gyns work hard to avoid, because as it turns out it is quite challenging to make out the anatomy and landmarks in surgery. Same with the hepatic duct during a chole.

The fact that I actually know that, is because I have a medical degree, not because I'm a surgeon, I might add. Because of those pesky didactics Steps you think are so pointless.

Too busy focusing on Crohn's? Most of the time I had someone admitted for Crohn's we were worried about life-threatening bleed. Usually the patients are on mechanical ppx, and that can cause calf pain. Not to mention some DVTs can be more challenging than you think to catch. The ddimer is likely worthless. You'd have to go for an doppler U/S. If you did see it, I"m not sure how it would affect management. Plus, I have no idea if blood thinners would have been such a hot idea in the Crohn's patient, so it's possible that catching the DVT might not have affected management besides monitoring more closely for PE unless they were going to put in an IVC filter, which frankly isn't common to do.

A clot in the external iliac? Notoriously difficult to diagnose. Sciatica is exceedingly common. Mistaking a rare presentation for something more common, again, another common medical error, and it doesn't always represent incompetence.

From reading what you wrote, it's clear that you think you understand more about what was going on than you actually do. Which is a really bad attitude to go into medical training with.

The whole point of a focus on excellence is to reduce those errors. Your argument is essentially, well hey the guys that proved that they have all the requisite knowledge to do their jobs still make mistakes, so why care about grades and scores? Or whether or not someone is a drop out?

If you don't get that one shot, and the chances are exceedingly low, as is the chance of you doing well enough in the Carribbean this time around to even stand a chance.....

Your sense of what is realistic and grasp of statistics is enough to make me wonder.

Yes, the basic sciences and Step 1 & 2 have little to do with clinical medicine :rolleyes:

That is so unbelievably untrue, that the only people that even try to make that claim are those that can't hack it.

Yes there is some obscure stuff on Step 1. Still, the knowledge base is broad for the MD/DO degree because it has to graduate a well rounded graduate capable of entering a broad range of specialty training.

The very idea that one does not need to show mastery of the material that is, well, medical school, to be a doctor......? That's like saying you just don't need to be able to land a plane to be an airline pilot.

Actually, no matter what type of doc you become, you will need to read the notes from cards, pulm, GI, surgery, etc, and while you may not have their knowledge to generate their recs, you absolutely have to speak the same medical language and understand when/how to implement their recs, safely and appropriately modify them, modify your existing treatment in response, how to monitor, and to know when you need to talk more with the specialist. You do actually have to know a little bit of everything about everything.

Specialists in cardiology may know a little less than everything, but they still know a lot more than just cardiology.

At the end of the day, premed science prereqs, M1-4, the Steps, are all about the right hand knowing what the left hand is doing.

I didn't go into a super competitive field, I went into something quite general, and the knowledge based is huge for those in primary care fields. I am also pretty laidback personality.

However, it doesn't ****ing matter. When it comes to knowing how to read a fetal heart monitor, you can't **** that up. When you put in orders for units of insulin, your math better be right. So when it comes to your job, you bet your sweet ass you better type A and mind the details.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm not going to be cracking chests either. I matched in psychiatry.

Will you offer your SDN colleagues the friends and family rate when they see you as their psychiatrist?

You can charge the Axis II types twice the price, and given the scores of Cluster B folks on here, you'll be paying off your loans pretty darn quickly.

And I would suggest being more open-minded.

One day when you have a dying patient in front of you, I don't think they would appreciate it if you were being blunt.
Actually, I am often thanked by the patient and family when I am blunt with them about their impeding doom. Turns out if you blow smoke up their ass up until the point they code it is less helpful than if you let them know what is coming so they can prepare and say goodbye. Perhaps in a few years when you find you are not lucky enough to beat the odds you will wish you listened to those who so bluntly advised you against a path so unlikely to succeed.

Reactions: 7 users
ImageUploadedBySDN1490589357.414210.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Service orientation
Social skills
Cultural Competence
Team work
Oral Communications
Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others
Reliability and Dependability
Resilience and Adaptability
Capacity for improvement
Critical thinking
Quantitative Reasoning
Scientific Inquiry
Written Communication
Living Systems
Human Behavior

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/

If you don't think you're a great oral communicator, you should consider another field for sure.
If you are not a good descriptive writer can adept at being *concise*, this can also sink you.

before I even had secondaries, when I was months ahead of time crafting a PS (and incidentally doing a final "examination" of myself for medicine) I saw a tip somewhere to take that list, and for each quality rephrase it in terms of what it means to you personally, examples in your life where you applied the principles, examples where you struggled, and tying that all up for why medicine/why you're suitable.

I did this little exercise, and it actually paid off (I only needed to adress 2 or 3 in my PS ultimately) in being great fodder for secondaries. I was able to cut and paste and recraft my own work doing that exercise making everything easier. Sometimes I would combine a few and make it flow or just make an entry longer. It also helped me prepare for interviews and helped my confidence. Helped me answer the dreaded "what are your greatest strengths/weaknesses" questions.

For residency interviews, I reviewed what I had written! Doing that actually helped me with more perspective on my strengths and weaknesses for choosing specialty. To be honest with my past idealist and compare him to the bitter shell I had become in med school. I also googled a list of commonly asked interview questions for residency and my specialty and did the same thing (wrote an answer to each one).

just an idea for how considering @LizzyM 's post and how it can be useful for getting into medical school. She wanted you to use it to see if you should even go to med school (I think). However, I hope that the tangible benefits I described can motivate you guys to do some real introspection as she suggests.

Reactions: 3 users
Will you offer your medical colleagues the friends and family rate when they see you as their psychiatrist?

You can charge the Axis II types twice the price, and given the scores of Cluster B folks in medicine, you'll be paying off your loans pretty darn quickly.

FTFY

Reactions: 1 user
The only other problems with my plan are that I don't know what the future outlook is going to look like. I've been hearing since 2011 that the match is going to get tougher and tougher for IMG's but even the 2017 match did not look terrible. So that's something I will have to research further.

I think this and one other point is worth considering. It seems like you've made up your mind and you have a significant amount of advice from various perspectives. No one can really give you an answer to this concern because we don't fully have the data from this year's match and we don't know how you will do if you make it to SGU (pre-clinical, step scores, clinical rotations, sub-I, etc). But similar to re-applying to medical school at SGU after your intended post-bac, you have to be ready to not match and what that might mean for you (e.g., applying another cycle, taking time off, etc). I think one of the most humbling parts of medical school is that we all believe we will crush Step 1 and honor every clinical rotation when in reality there is always a bell curve. Please note I'm not saying you won't do well in your goals, but it's something to consider.

The other point is finances. I imagine you've gone into considerable debt already after having done 3 terms in medical school and that your interest is capitalizing as we speak. Your post-bac won't be free and SGU is quite expensive. Can you take out enough loans over your life time to cover all of this? You are also in your early 30s and, if everything works out well, will be in your early 40s when you finish and start to actually make some money. Again, I don't bring up these points to deter you (my opinion doesn't really matter since you've made up your mind), but for you to be aware of what's in front of you.

I think this and one other point is worth considering. It seems like you've made up your mind and you have a significant amount of advice from various perspectives. No one can really give you an answer to this concern because we don't fully have the data from this year's match and we don't know how you will do if you make it to SGU (pre-clinical, step scores, clinical rotations, sub-I, etc). But similar to re-applying to medical school at SGU after your intended post-bac, you have to be ready to not match and what that might mean for you (e.g., applying another cycle, taking time off, etc). I think one of the most humbling parts of medical school is that we all believe we will crush Step 1 and honor every clinical rotation when in reality there is always a bell curve. Please note I'm not saying you won't do well in your goals, but it's something to consider.

The other point is finances. I imagine you've gone into considerable debt already after having done 3 terms in medical school and that your interest is capitalizing as we speak. Your post-bac won't be free and SGU is quite expensive. Can you take out enough loans over your life time to cover all of this? You are also in your early 30s and, if everything works out well, will be in your early 40s when you finish and start to actually make some money. Again, I don't bring up these points to deter you (my opinion doesn't really matter since you've made up your mind), but for you to be aware of what's in front of you.

Hi,

Thank you for a civil response. Yes, there are several key steps along the way before even thinking about SGU right now so I'm being realistic about planning for those. The thing with SGU is this, there is a lot of success coming out of SGU but we don't accurately know how many people don't make it along the way and I certainly don't want to fall into that boat. Coming from another Caribbean school, it's something I would be extra cautious about. My understanding is that success from SGU would mean no red flags and that even includes taking an extra term to complete the program. You're right, med school is humbling and you really have to take it class by class or test by test. I may have the best of intentions but I can never predict how everything will exactly turn out.

Regarding finances, it's another big issue. I have some debt right now which is not crippling but surprisingly everyone who I have run this idea by has been encouraging me to do it. The reason is that you will still end up with a 25-30 year career which is enough time to pay off any debt accumulated. You may not end up a millionaire but you'll still have a nice life. Beyond that, just like we don't know how SGU will turn out, we don't know how the finances will turn out long-term. I could match into a program that pays off some of my student loans; I could work at a not-for-profit for 10 years and qualify for some loan forgiveness; one of my relatives could leave me an inheritance...so many things can happen over the long run that I don't see the finances as the bigger problem right now. Age wise, early 40's is not what I was planning for but it's not the end of the world either. Some people lost their 20's to school and I got to live it up and have some fun. So maybe it balances out in the end and I'll have to give the rest of my 30's up. Also, my goals are primary care so I think I'm being reasonable even with the SGU route.

I'm not deterred, I've set a few checkpoints and they are the summer courses and then the MCAT. If I can get A's in the Gen Chem this summer, then I move forward. If I get a 505 or better on the MCAT next year then I move forward again. If I can't do that, then realistically SGU wouldn't happen and I've learned my lesson with the lesser tiered schools.

I believe SDN is the wrong place to be discussing this issue, despite this website being called the student DOCTOR network, as I can tell some of the characters here are anti-Caribbean, very judgmental, and rather defensive. You and some others can see what I'm doing and I appreciate that. My medical career is NOT over by any means lol. But there is certainly a lot of work ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting how individuals who search for confirmation bias tend to end up hating those that give them what they were looking for. Projection! Thank you Freud for an amazing word.

Interesting how individuals who search for confirmation bias tend to end up hating those that give them what they were looking for. Projection! Thank you Freud for an amazing word.

I'm sorry I don't speak geek. Was that a compliment or an insult?

I'm sorry I don't speak geek. Was that a compliment or an insult?

That's not geek. That's psych. Freud is often mentioned at least in a med student's psych education.

Projection is a term that is very useful for healthcare providers to know as it often comes into play in doctor-patient interaction. I suggest you look it up.

Reactions: 4 users
That's not geek. That's psych. Freud is often mentioned at least in a med student's psych education.

Projection is a term that is very useful for healthcare providers to know as it often comes into play in doctor-patient interaction. I suggest you look it up.

It sounds likes geek.

No need for me to look anything up. I'm sure I will be taught these things once I reach that stage.

It sounds likes geek.

No need for me to look anything up. I'm sure I will be taught these things once I reach that stage.

How come you are so aggressive to everyone? I understand not liking or even accepting people's advice, but you came here asking for it. It seems like you know what you want to do - what does it matter what anyone says at this point?

Anyway you can give us an exact timeline of these events? I know you say you're in your 30s, and I may have missed it elsewhere; but if you left at 23 and now at 33 are starting over, that will look a lot different to adcoms then a two year difference. IMO at this point you need more than just reinvention. Like getting a masters and then doing a informal post-BAC. Many schools (at least when I applied) really only look at your last two years when it comes to GPA. Hence why a downward trend is disastrous to pre-meds.

Another way would be to take the MCAT, apply to TCOMs MSP and absolutely destroy it. Make friends with ADCOMs, do research, kill the MCAT and they may accept you. People will forgive in this world, but you have to give them a reason to. I personally do not go to TCOM, but I do know people that were able to reverse their stigma, so-to-say, by doing extremely well at the MSP/MSD/whatever.

But not all of us are interested in cracking chests, working within a trauma center, or seeing the rarest of cases at the biggest hospitals.

Family medicine is not cardiology.

What about doctors that operate solely on an outpatient basis?

Do you know of doctors who know everything about everything?

My family medicine preceptor is one of the most knowledgable physicians I know, and that rotation was one of the most difficult. Characterizing "working in preventative care within a small community" as medicine that requires anything short of absolute excellence borders on offensive.

I'm sorry I don't speak geek.

:rolleyes:

Here's the part that disappoints me the most. After going through all of this and walking away from it, you actually start to doubt your reasons for wanting to become a doctor in the first place as if you perhaps made a mistake. I mean I don't think I made a mistake for wanting to become a doctor but for at least 15 years I still haven't figured out how to properly answer the question "Why do you want to become a doctor?" It's a tricky question because it seems pretty genuine on the outside but the answer I would always give doesn't seem to be helping me out in succeeding towards that goal. I think I'm accepting the answer to that question really goes something like this... "Because I've always been a good student and I'm an expert test-taker..." I'm starting to wonder if whatever comes after that line really even matters.

Being a good student and test-taker is less of "Why" and more of "Are you able to/Should you become a doctor?" That's the question you need to ask yourself. Nobody will think of you as a lesser person if you walked away from such a risky and expensive path.

Anyway you can give us an exact timeline of these events? I know you say you're in your 30s, and I may have missed it elsewhere; but if you left at 23 and now at 33 are starting over, that will look a lot different to adcoms then a two year difference. IMO at this point you need more than just reinvention. Like getting a masters and then doing a informal post-BAC. Many schools (at least when I applied) really only look at your last two years when it comes to GPA. Hence why a downward trend is disastrous to pre-meds.

Another way would be to take the MCAT, apply to TCOMs MSP and absolutely destroy it. Make friends with ADCOMs, do research, kill the MCAT and they may accept you. People will forgive in this world, but you have to give them a reason to. I personally do not go to TCOM, but I do know people that were able to reverse their stigma, so-to-say, by doing extremely well at the MSP/MSD/whatever.

Well regardless I have to retake the pre-reqs because they were lower to begin with. Beyond that, I have to look at age, debt, and other factors. I do not feel confident that US programs are open to applications from people in my position so instead of trying to improve an application for a US MD or DO program that will pretty much not make the cut, I am focusing on going to SGU because it is accessible and if I succeed in that program, my chances of matching into a primary care specialty should be greater than my chance at doing it at a lesser Caribbean school.

I'm just being realistic at this point. SGU and succeeding at SGU is still a tremendous task but it is attainable. The goal is to get into the system; only then will the past no longer be an issue.

Being a good student and test-taker is less of "Why" and more of "Are you able to/Should you become a doctor?" That's the question you need to ask yourself. Nobody will think of you as a lesser person if you walked away from such a risky and expensive path.

That's true. Like I said earlier, I took some short cuts, planned this all out incorrectly, and maybe I just got serious a little later. If another opportunity to improve is presenting itself and I have the desire, then I have to attempt it. I believe that if this post-bacc, the MCAT, and another semester of science work is successful then I will be in a very good position to succeed if I try for SGU.

It sounds likes geek.

Yeah, I get it, all, that med speak and med school stuff is just geek stuff. Continue to disregard. Hope you don't flunk out this time.

Reactions: 4 users
Auuuwwwww! LOL.

I think everyone should see a mental health professional regularly for a check up. It is no different than seeing a medical physician regularly for a medical checkup.

xoxo

Reactions: 1 users
Please come back in a few years and let us know how it all goes.
You guys really are a strange bunch lol. I don't know if I should feel bad for you or your future patients.

When I get back to school, why the hell would I come back and post on SDN? Don't you think I would have more important things to do as a medical student???

As a courtesy however, if SGU works out, I will post a pic of the campus when I get there.

Ladies and gentlemen, the LaVar Ball of pre-meds has arrived.

You guys really are a strange bunch lol. I don't know if I should feel bad for you or your future patients.

When I get back to school, why the hell would I come back and post on SDN? Don't you think I would have more important things to do as a medical student???

As a courtesy however, if SGU works out, I will post a pic of the campus when I get there.

If you are sure you want to retry the Caribbean, there is a physician that graduated from a Caribbean school who runs a pre-med/step 1/step 2 readiness program. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at www.boardsready.com and reach out to them. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

If you are sure you want to retry the Caribbean, there is a physician that graduated from a Caribbean school who runs a pre-med/step 1/step 2 readiness program. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at www.boardsready.com and reach out to them. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Will do

Auuuwwwww! LOL.

I think everyone should see a mental health professional regularly for a check up. It is no different than seeing a medical physician regularly for a medical checkup.

xoxo

I meant that the medical field in general is filled with people with psychiatric issues and cluster B personalities, it's not limited to this site. I'd like to go into psych, so feel free to advocate for those annual psych check-ups. ;)

Because believe it or not, a lot of med students and residents continue to come here to look for advice about how to succeed in med school, how to study/what resources are good, what different specialties are like, how to apply for the match, what to look for in a residency program, how to build an application and CV for community programs vs. academic, how to find research and how to get published, what to look for in job offers/how to negotiate a contract (which can be very, very different than most other industries), how to build your own practice, how certain patient populations or unique situations should be handled, how healthcare policies are changing at multiple levels and what that could mean for healthcare and specifically, not to mention general lifestyle questions that people in other professions just wouldn't understand.

You seem to be under the impression that SDN stops at the pre-med forums, when in reality the pre-med forums make up a relatively small part of this site. Medicine as a career requires us to be life-long learners, not just in terms of science and patient treatment, but in terms of administrative knowledge, billing, social interactions, and unfortunately the political side of medicine. It's not just a career, it's a lifestyle. Everyone hoping to become a physician should understand that before going to medical school.

Won't you miss us though? :cryi:

I meant that the medical field in general is filled with people with psychiatric issues and cluster B personalities, it's not limited to this site. I'd like to go into psych, so feel free to advocate for those annual psych check-ups. ;).

Will you dispense the blue pill or the red pill?

Because believe it or not, a lot of med students and residents continue to come here to look for advice .....

or some of us are just tired of reading ultra complicated medical science material, and come here to not think nor be intelligent. Doesn't it show?

Hope you don't flunk out this time.

Man.....that is one heck of a flame right there....:flame:

I hear SGU is pretty darn expensive. Can't imagine he/she acquiring a student loan given their history.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think you will succeed. If you do succeed - come back and gloat. Most likely you will fail and never come back here. Most carib grads don't make it. You didn't even graduate.

If you do succeed, then your story might help people who think they have no hope. Maybe you'll change careers and find happiness - even those stories help people on here.

Anyway you sound like a child through your writing. No one wants a doctor like that.

I don't think you will succeed. If you do succeed - come back and gloat. Most likely you will fail and never come back here. Most carib grads don't make it. You didn't even graduate.

If you do succeed, then your story might help people who think they have no hope. Maybe you'll change careers and find happiness - even those stories help people on here.

Anyway you sound like a child through your writing. No one wants a doctor like that.

As I said, a strange bunch. You representing your peers quite well there big guy.

So my story is sort of similar to yours aforemermedstudent. I failed out of college, went to CC, got rejected from every (even carib) med schools with only 1 interview at Ross that was basically a rejection on the spot. Too many F's, W's, etc to even think about "fixing" my stats on paper. Lots of people have thrown a lot of rocks at you in this thread but honestly its your life and happiness at stake. Always something easy to say but I would rather live happy and poor than rich and wondering what if. This life is a journey to find your happiness and even having matched at my top school ... I am still on a quest to find my own. Head up, keep calm and carry on.

That being said my opinion if you want to become a doctor is as follows. First you need to ask yourself why you failed. If you legit tried and didn't succeed than maybe you aren't cut out for it. Not everyone is which can be a tough pill to swallow. I didn't succeed because I never really invested the effort or had the motivation to work hard in college. I was in cruise control heading in no particular direction. The only thing you need to succeed in med school is the intellect level required and the mindset to apply yourself. All the stuff you learn in college really isn't all that helpful in terms of raw content. You don't need any "raw materials" to smoke med school and I certainly didn't have any when I began. I only had the mindset.

So how to get in at this point... My situation was different as I had never been to med school. I only had crap performance at college and was trying to find a way for someone out there to give me a chance. You need to show that you have changed. It is going to take time and effort. You do this by taking courses that are similar to what you will see in med school at a similar pace that will be seen in med school. At this point all the F's and crap in the past is the past. You need to show 1-2 years of good performance showing you can handle med school. You can do this by taking post bacc courses (physics, orgo, gen chem, stats, calc, bchem,anat, histolgy, etc) or you can try and get into a masters in biomed science which is basically like a mirror to med school curric for people trying to get in. What you need to avoid is taking easy classes to try and "fix" your GPA or get masters degrees in stuff that isn't all that similar. A masters in molec bio, MPH, etc isn't all that helpful to getting into med school. Tons of research in a lab isn't all that useful either. Its a great experience and it can only help but at the end of the day they want to make sure you will succeed with the course load.

Think about alternatives. Nursing school and becoming a NP is great. A lot of NP's make bank and have a lot of autonomy. PA school is also an alternative but I can imagine very competitive as well.

Time to close up this thread guys so I won't be responding any further. I read each and every one of these posts and I think some of you are now using it recklessly as a medium for personal attacks and jabs which I find disappointing considering some of you are identifying as medical students and, even worse, adcoms (WTF??) lol so that shows me that you don't respect either of those positions, you're not professional, and/or you need help and that is concerning. For those that did give me unbiased advice, thanks and I listened, and I ran your ideas by some other people on the outside to come to a decision.

I can't stress it enough but I am shocked at the amount of smugness and arrogance that is emanating from some of these posts. I asked a rather simple question to a scenario that is commonly encountered by Caribbean students but I got tons of OPINIONS lol. I had to double check to make sure I was not in the pre-allo forum dealing with those little monsters but you guys are apparently worse. Shame on you. Keep it objective, nobody wants your opinions. When you were a third or fourth year or worse even a resident, did you have the balls to hand out your opinion at that time? I'd pay to see some of these same people doing that. I know it takes more self-control and a little self-respect to keep it purely objective and that is asking a lot from a bunch of nerds and bookworms who can't do more than read a book but as you progress in life, it will serve you well to realize that nobody really cares what you think so don't waste your breath taking that approach when giving advice to people who are looking for advice and nothing more. Better still, if you don't agree or are biased towards someone, maybe just don't answer? Perhaps you are taking out your angers and frustrations on me because I represent someone you wish you could be. The guy with confidence, with balls, a guy who doesn't take no for an answer. You, on the other hand, were probably that student, with your bow tie and pocket protector, who was always verbally castigated by the resident and the attending for not being good enough for this profession or worse, a wrong fit. I could understand that.

Beyond all that, try and stay humble. The patient is not always stupid and can't think for themselves. If you cannot gain the trust of your patient, the patient will never listen to you and your chances of a positive outcome will diminish significantly. What good are your straight A's at that point? Trust me they will not ask you where you went to medical school or how you got there. If you want to be arrogant, go into business or politics where you can assert those qualities and get away with it but in medicine you have to stay humble and eat some crow from time to time because doctors will, at some point, screw up and get it wrong and you have to be humble to deal with that. Something tells me some of you are going to find this out the hard way long-term. Godspeed to you guys and I hope no patient is harmed in the process.

As for me, I just registered for summer classes this morning and I am fully confident that my plan to return to medical school is going to be successful. I have since spoken to real people and REAL students and nobody seems to believe that I am out of the race. An uphill battle? Sure; there is work to be done but why would I be retaking courses if I wasn't ready to do the work? I think that's the part some of you were missing or chose not to focus on. Do you know how embarrassing it is to tell others that I went to SDN for advice regarding this matter and then to be laughed at to my face??? Well I guess we ALL have some things we need to learn in this life.

In closing, there are careers where you need to be a genius to succeed. Medicine is not one of them and honestly not even close. The book stuff and the test-taking skills can be LEARNED with time, effort, and the motivation. I think we all get caught up in the competitive aspects of this field and we mistakenly think that if you get into medical school that somehow you become God or take on God-like qualities but we forget to realize that it's really just a numbers game that got us to where some of us are. The reality being that you can probably teach a monkey to become a doctor...and the monkey might even be better at it.

So, goodbye....and thank you.

Time to close up this thread guys so I won't be responding any further. I read each and every one of these posts and I think some of you are now using it recklessly as a medium for personal attacks and jabs which I find disappointing considering some of you are identifying as medical students and, even worse, adcoms (WTF??) lol so that shows me that you don't respect either of those positions, you're not professional, and/or you need help and that is concerning. For those that did give me unbiased advice, thanks and I listened, and I ran your ideas by some other people on the outside to come to a decision.

I can't stress it enough but I am shocked at the amount of smugness and arrogance that is emanating from some of these posts. I asked a rather simple question to a scenario that is commonly encountered by Caribbean students but I got tons of OPINIONS lol. I had to double check to make sure I was not in the pre-allo forum dealing with those little monsters but you guys are apparently worse. Shame on you. Keep it objective, nobody wants your opinions. When you were a third or fourth year or worse even a resident, did you have the balls to hand out your opinion at that time? I'd pay to see some of these same people doing that. I know it takes more self-control and a little self-respect to keep it purely objective and that is asking a lot from a bunch of nerds and bookworms who can't do more than read a book but as you progress in life, it will serve you well to realize that nobody really cares what you think so don't waste your breath taking that approach when giving advice to people who are looking for advice and nothing more. Better still, if you don't agree or are biased towards someone, maybe just don't answer? Perhaps you are taking out your angers and frustrations on me because I represent someone you wish you could be. The guy with confidence, with balls, a guy who doesn't take no for an answer. You, on the other hand, were probably that student, with your bow tie and pocket protector, who was always verbally castigated by the resident and the attending for not being good enough for this profession or worse, a wrong fit. I could understand that.

Beyond all that, try and stay humble. The patient is not always stupid and can't think for themselves. If you cannot gain the trust of your patient, the patient will never listen to you and your chances of a positive outcome will diminish significantly. What good are your straight A's at that point? Trust me they will not ask you where you went to medical school or how you got there. If you want to be arrogant, go into business or politics where you can assert those qualities and get away with it but in medicine you have to stay humble and eat some crow from time to time because doctors will, at some point, screw up and get it wrong and you have to be humble to deal with that. Something tells me some of you are going to find this out the hard way long-term. Godspeed to you guys and I hope no patient is harmed in the process.

As for me, I just registered for summer classes this morning and I am fully confident that my plan to return to medical school is going to be successful. I have since spoken to real people and REAL students and nobody seems to believe that I am out of the race. An uphill battle? Sure; there is work to be done but why would I be retaking courses if I wasn't ready to do the work? I think that's the part some of you were missing or chose not to focus on. Do you know how embarrassing it is to tell others that I went to SDN for advice regarding this matter and then to be laughed at to my face??? Well I guess we ALL have some things we need to learn in this life.

In closing, there are careers where you need to be a genius to succeed. Medicine is not one of them and honestly not even close. The book stuff and the test-taking skills can be LEARNED with time, effort, and the motivation. I think we all get caught up in the competitive aspects of this field and we mistakenly think that if you get into medical school that somehow you become God or take on God-like qualities but we forget to realize that it's really just a numbers game that got us to where some of us are. The reality being that you can probably teach a monkey to become a doctor...and the monkey might even be better at it.

So, goodbye....and thank you.

For someone who has yet to even make it to the clinical part of medical school, you seem to have a lot of OPINIONS about medical school and medicine and not much regard for the opinions of the people who are in the field you are trying to enter.

I am very confident that, OP, that you will make it to a Caribbean medical school. I am less confident that that will ever translate to a residency. Our opinions stating that it's probably better to cut your losses at this point is the most kind thing anyone has done on this thread. Cruelty would be to encourage you without cause (come back with an improved MCAT and coursework and we'll reconsider things) or to give you a rosy picture of the path ahead.

That isn't much of an insult coming from someone who couldn't make it through the monkey training.

This is the gang mentality of SDN at work right here. I said no more jabs and this knucklehead takes it upon himself to do such. :nono:

Go to nursing school and get your NP. That's the best hope you've got of working in health care. As the match gets tighter, apps like yours are finding their way into the trash before they're even seen.