Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cianuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if i can get some advice. I am currently a senior taking the last 4 prereqs for PT school. I am currently taking chemistry I and the lab, but the course is 5 weeks long and it has been very difficult and i dont seemed to be learning anything. In addition, this is also my firsy chem class so i was thinking it of dropping the course and taking it on the fall semester. The only problem is that in the fall semester i will be taking physics with the lab. Do tou guya think is a good idea to be taking those courses together for someone who has not gotten any experience with chem and physics? Also, i am a senior and i am 24 years old. Im already behind as it is. The reason i want to take those courses together is because i also have to take chem II and physics II and if i take those courses togther i will be able to aplly for PT school on 2015. Please any help will be greatly appreciated, what would you guys so in my situation? Wait another year and take them togetger and risk getting a bad grade or wait another year a good grade in those clases? Ps. I also work. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Whats your current grade in the class, and are you able to drop it without getting a "withdrawal"?

What about take some classes in the summer at a community college? Maybe take physics 1 and 2 in the summer and chemistry 1 in the fall, chem 2 in the spring? Or vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found it difficult to take both physics and chemistry at the same time, and ended up taking them separately. I also work. I feel like it's better to take a little longer to finish if your grades will be substantially better. If it's too late to drop without a W and your grade is okay, I would stick it out - get a tutor, visit your school's tutoring center (if they have one for chem), get help from your professor and try to make it through.

If you do take it in the fall, hold onto your materials for chemistry, and try to get at least the book for physics, and maybe study ahead for both classes so you are already familiar with the material when the quarter starts. That can be helpful if you haven't had exposure to the subject before.

No I don't recommend taking both of them concurrently. If you aren't doing well in chemistry right now, what makes you think you will be able to handle chemistry and physics concurrently? As the OP said, you are better off getting better grades than applying for the next cycle.

Get a DVD, a workbook, and a tutor and make chemistry and physics your job. Make sure you are taking college physics and not university physics (which requires calculus).

Thank you everyone for your advice. After thinking about it, I decided to drop the class with a DR grade. The course was moving way too fast for me and I was not learning anything. I wish i didnt have to work while in school so things would be so much easier. Anyways, i am still debating whether or not to take CHEM and physics together. Currently, i have a 3.5 gpa so i dont want a bad score to damage my gpa. I will probably take them separetely since i do not have any baxkground in chemistry nor physics. Does anyone here recommend a good website or workbook to read and study for those classes? Again, thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate the help since my family is not supportive of my school. They think im wasting my time and highly doubt that i will be able to achieve my goal to become a PT. They just want me to quit school and devote myself to my current job and move up.

Does anyone here recommend a good website or workbook to read and study for those classes?

Math Tutur DVD helped. Also, get a problem book ('1000 Chemistry Problems' for example) and do extra problems. That always helps.

I took Chem and Physics together because I wanted to apply to PT school as soon as possible (I made a return to school after several years away.) It was very difficult, I'm not going to lie. But, I put every bit of my energy into doing well and got an A on all of my classes that semester (also took med term and statistics.) Moral of The story is, if you're motivated and manage your time well, you can do it. Expect it to be miserable for a semester though. Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.