need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomqwerty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to do a postbac to fulfill the prerequisites for applying to medical school. I have a bachelor's degree from a foreign country with low GPA. I understand that foreign undergrad grades are not used for AAMC GPA calculation. My question is do medical schools request foreign transcripts and how much would a low foreign undergrad GPA affect the medical school application? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Randomqwerty,

Is that a low GPA based on WES (or other company) evaluation, or is that your personal opinion of your own GPA? I don't know the answer to your question about medschools and transcripts and would be curious to know as well. I guess it's a school-by-school thing but I'm not far enough along the process to spend time on medschool websites trying to find out now. I'll have to do this next year though.

Hi, I am planning to do a postbac to fulfill the prerequisites for applying to medical school. I have a bachelor's degree from a foreign country with low GPA. I understand that foreign undergrad grades are not used for AAMC GPA calculation. My question is do medical schools request foreign transcripts and how much would a low foreign undergrad GPA affect the medical school application? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Depends on each school, but most US MD schools will only consider your US grades because they are unfamiliar with foreign school grading systems. AMCAS does not accept either your original foreign transcript nor WES evaluation, but there are some schools that accept WES if you do the research. Usually they will not request the transcript evaluation from you, instead you will have to send it to them to prove that you earned a bachelor's. Again they will worry more about your US course performance, so you have your second and only chance to prove that you can handle medical school by getting As or close in the US.