This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmma277

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate of University of Kentucky. I have a overall GPA of 3.4. Here is a background of my grades and observation/volunteer hours. Course grades: Anatomy and Physiology I: C, Anatomy and Physiology II: A, Exercise Physiology: B, Biomechanics: B, Chemistry I: B. Chemistry I Lab: A, Chemistry II: A, Chemistry II lab: A, Biology I: A, Biology I Lab: A, Biology II: A, Biology II Lab: B, Physics I: D, Physics I Lab: A, Physics II: B. Physics II lab: B, Psychology: B, Developmental Psychology: B, Stats: C.
Observational Hours: 100. I observed 50 total hours at one clinic and 50 at another clinic. One of the clinics I did my observations at closed down but I was told I could still list it on my application.
Volunteer work hours: 50 hours.
I have applied at at a total of 8 schools and was denied at all except one which was Marshall University.
I am as of now retaking Physics to better my grade and as of now I have a 85. I know with my Physics I being a D could be a huge barrier on making my application not competitive, but I am trying to figure out what else I can do to make my self more competitive if I can not get in this cycle. Should I retake any other classes like Stats or Anatomy and Physiology I? And has anyone been listed as an alternative and been accepted later on? I I am probably retaking the GRE if Marshall does not accept me this year. My GRE score was low since I took it at home and had internet issues which heavily affected my scores but I was also told by the schools I was applying to they would not look at the GRE heavily compared to my science GPA. If anyone has any advice on what I can do to better my chances of getting accepted possibly this year or on the next cycle, please let me know :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a recent graduate of University of Kentucky. I have a overall GPA of 3.4. Here is a background of my grades and observation/volunteer hours. Course grades: Anatomy and Physiology I: C, Anatomy and Physiology II: A, Exercise Physiology: B, Biomechanics: B, Chemistry I: B. Chemistry I Lab: A, Chemistry II: A, Chemistry II lab: A, Biology I: A, Biology I Lab: A, Biology II: A, Biology II Lab: B, Physics I: D, Physics I Lab: A, Physics II: B. Physics II lab: B, Psychology: B, Developmental Psychology: B, Stats: C.
Observational Hours: 100. I observed 50 total hours at one clinic and 50 at another clinic. One of the clinics I did my observations at closed down but I was told I could still list it on my application.
Volunteer work hours: 50 hours.
I have applied at at a total of 8 schools and was denied at all except one which was Marshall University.
I am as of now retaking Physics to better my grade and as of now I have a 85. I know with my Physics I being a D could be a huge barrier on making my application not competitive, but I am trying to figure out what else I can do to make my self more competitive if I can not get in this cycle. Should I retake any other classes like Stats or Anatomy and Physiology I? And has anyone been listed as an alternative and been accepted later on? I I am probably retaking the GRE if Marshall does not accept me this year. My GRE score was low since I took it at home and had internet issues which heavily affected my scores but I was also told by the schools I was applying to they would not look at the GRE heavily compared to my science GPA. If anyone has any advice on what I can do to better my chances of getting accepted possibly this year or on the next cycle, please let me know :)
Well, what was your GRE? I think typical GRE minimal requirements are 150/150/3. My school only required the written which had to be at least 3.5, so it does vary, but that's fairly standard numbers that I remember seeing. If you fell below the requirements, a computer rejected you before human eyes ever even saw your application. Same goes for individual class grades -->

***That D alone might be what's getting you denied. In addition to overall GPA, most schools also have a minimum grade of C for each individual class - even if your CGPA was, say, a 3.9.

GPA minimal requirements are usually 3.0 but that's just to not get outright rejected. You can check the stats of the schools you want to apply to, to see what the averages are of their accepted classes, usually 3.5-3.8 but it's different per school. Since you've already graduated it would be pretty hard to move the GPA needle at this point so I don't think it would be worth retaking anything but a class figuring into your science grade. Not all programs require stats, so I wouldn't bother unless your dream school requires it.

What's your science GPA? Some schools care about that too, so it might be worth improving your science GPA depending on what it is? Although improving that D should make a difference, so take that into consideration before deciding to retake something else like your A&P 1. I would run these things through a GPA calculator to see if it is worth the time and money.

A big game-changer might be your essay response in PTCAS. Did other people read it, are there any ways to improve it?

Finally, did you only/mostly apply to schools that are very competitive? The elite programs get so many 3.8-4.0 applicants they don't even need to look over the lower GPAs to fill their cohorts. Might help to look at less competitive schools, or perhaps schools that view applications more holistically.

Most schools are being pretty slack about required shadow hours because of covid so I wouldn't worry about increasing them unless you genuinely want to. My school required 80 and they don't care if you have more than that, as an example, even before covid. I have heard other people say more = better but that is not always true.

No clue if any of this applies to you of course, just thinking out loud on what stood out to me as possibilities for strengthening! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Well, what was your GRE? I think typical GRE minimal requirements are 150/150/3. My school only required the written which had to be at least 3.5, so it does vary, but that's fairly standard numbers that I remember seeing. If you fell below the requirements, a computer rejected you before human eyes ever even saw your application. Same goes for individual class grades -->

***That D alone might be what's getting you denied. In addition to overall GPA, most schools also have a minimum grade of C for each individual class - even if your CGPA was, say, a 3.9.

GPA minimal requirements are usually 3.0 but that's just to not get outright rejected. You can check the stats of the schools you want to apply to, to see what the averages are of their accepted classes, usually 3.5-3.8 but it's different per school. Since you've already graduated it would be pretty hard to move the GPA needle at this point so I don't think it would be worth retaking anything but a class figuring into your science grade. Not all programs require stats, so I wouldn't bother unless your dream school requires it.

What's your science GPA? Some schools care about that too, so it might be worth improving your science GPA depending on what it is? Although improving that D should make a difference, so take that into consideration before deciding to retake something else like your A&P 1. I would run these things through a GPA calculator to see if it is worth the time and money.

A big game-changer might be your essay response in PTCAS. Did other people read it, are there any ways to improve it?

Finally, did you only/mostly apply to schools that are very competitive? The elite programs get so many 3.8-4.0 applicants they don't even need to look over the lower GPAs to fill their cohorts. Might help to look at less competitive schools, or perhaps schools that view applications more holistically.

Most schools are being pretty slack about required shadow hours because of covid so I wouldn't worry about increasing them unless you genuinely want to. My school required 80 and they don't care if you have more than that, as an example, even before covid. I have heard other people say more = better but that is not always true.

No clue if any of this applies to you of course, just thinking out loud on what stood out to me as possibilities for strengthening! Good luck!
Hi I just wanted to say thankyou for responding to my post :) I hope it is ok messaging you for some advice based off my post.
My GRE was sadly 137 for verbal, 139 for quantitative reasoning and 3.0 for writing. I had some technical issues with the proctor U. My proctor wasn’t able to see me on screen and took control of my test and prevented me from answering majority of my questions throughout the entire exam. So that heavily affected my scores and chances with some of the schools I have applied for. I am planning on retaking it again if Marshall does not take me this year.

I am debating whether or not to retake Stats and anatomy and physiology I again to try to get an A but I do not know if I would be wasting my time and money if retaking it. Every school I have looked at requires both.

I unfortunately do not know what my science GPA is, with Marshall I was told it was a 3.36. I have been using a science calculator temple university provides to see what my science gpa is. This is their link: Temple University | Pre-Professional Health Studies

I have had a few people read my essay like my parents but not like a physical therapist. I can’t observe at any clinics until I get a vaccine shot since my mother is very prone to COVID-19.

I applied to IUPUI, University of Cincinnati, University of Toledo, University of Evansville, University of Scranton, Marshall University, University of Kentucky and Scranton University. I have been trying to find less competitive schools for the remaining of this cycle. Do you have any schools of recommendation possibly?

Thank you still for your reply 😊 Hopefully I can hear back from you! I am very determined in wanting to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can usually communicate with schools that rejected you to find out how you can improve your application. For example, I work with a lot of applicants who have been told their essays the first time around didn't adequately answer the prompts.

My guess is your application wasn't even looked at by the committee. The D basically means you don't have credit for one of the prereqs. Many schools toss applicants with GREs <150. This might be harsh, but you've got some red flags and nothing extraordinary that compensates for them (at least not listed in your post). Calculate your science GPA and see where that stands. A PT school wants to see that you can be successful with harder classes and faster pace than you had in undergrad. Are you showing them that? Retake the C's, preferably with A's, showing you can do that material and you are now capable of higher level work. Prep for the GRE and don't retake until you are confident you'll be above 150. If something technical happens, don't send those scores off. Your essays will never save your application with red flags on the grades/GRE side of things. They count, but not too much and won't be read until you aren't screened out. I've been on admissions committees at two different schools over the last decade and this is how they've both gone about things. Even if school says "holistic", grades and GRE still counts.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi I just wanted to say thankyou for responding to my post :) I hope it is ok messaging you for some advice based off my post.
My GRE was sadly 137 for verbal, 139 for quantitative reasoning and 3.0 for writing. I had some technical issues with the proctor U. My proctor wasn’t able to see me on screen and took control of my test and prevented me from answering majority of my questions throughout the entire exam. So that heavily affected my scores and chances with some of the schools I have applied for. I am planning on retaking it again if Marshall does not take me this year.

I am debating whether or not to retake Stats and anatomy and physiology I again to try to get an A but I do not know if I would be wasting my time and money if retaking it. Every school I have looked at requires both.

I unfortunately do not know what my science GPA is, with Marshall I was told it was a 3.36. I have been using a science calculator temple university provides to see what my science gpa is. This is their link: Temple University | Pre-Professional Health Studies

I have had a few people read my essay like my parents but not like a physical therapist. I can’t observe at any clinics until I get a vaccine shot since my mother is very prone to COVID-19.

I applied to IUPUI, University of Cincinnati, University of Toledo, University of Evansville, University of Scranton, Marshall University, University of Kentucky and Scranton University. I have been trying to find less competitive schools for the remaining of this cycle. Do you have any schools of recommendation possibly?

Thank you still for your reply 😊 Hopefully I can hear back from you! I am very determined in wanting to get in.
Yes, of course, feel free to send me a message!

Gotcha, so the GRE probably closed the doors for you. You're likely looking at retaking it. I've taken them twice so trust me, I deeply sympathize. Regardless of the tech problems you had, it might be worth the investment to take some sort of prep course to make SURE you score well. Take lots of practice GREs if you can.

I think that D and the GREs are probably your biggest road blocks. If you have the ability, retaking the lower grades would look good, but they aren't preventing you from getting your foot in the door the way the other two things are. The essay is also like a fine-tuning thing - unless you wrote a bunch of gibberish, it shouldn't necessarily be a deal maker or breaker. But if you're trying to be as competitive as possible, doesn't hurt to make sure it is in tip-top shape - have an old professor read it, or ask if someone on here will read it (usually someone volunteers).

I was extremely fortunate in that my application was one and done - I applied to exactly one school and they accepted me. I don't recommend that route, by the way! It was just the way my circumstances worked out. So, I don't know of any schools to recommend in terms of being a good school but less competitive....I suspect the smaller-named schools would be? I think on here if you search, you may find threads about good schools to apply to.

Keep me posted!!

I think that you should take any opportunity you have to improve any of your grades that are not an A, especially those that are sub B, but I acknowledge that it's a privilege to retake anything at all. I think that at a minimum you should retake A&P I, Physics I, and Stats if possible.

Your overall GPA isn't too bad. I got into almost every school that I applied to and my cumulative GPA was a 2.98 :). There are other differentiators out there besides your GPA, and a key one is your essay or any supplemental essays. Schools are keen on what differentiates you from everyone else with regards to life experiences, volunteer experiences, work experiences, and what separates you from the pack. What makes you special? What drives you? Key in on what makes you special and you should shine.

With regards to your GRE, it's critical that you get it as close to threshold as possible (150/150/3.0). Schools are flexible on this requirement, but you should shoot for as close to this (or exceed it) by as much as you can. Buy the books, take the classes, and put in the work.

I know it's tough what you're feeling, it's part of your journey. There's no rush, so be sure to do things as close to right as you can. And, if you really want it, you'll be better for it; and when you get in, it'll be even sweeter!

Reactions: 1 user