Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTapp

DPT
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a 2nd year DPT student myself, but I would like to ask for opinion on my wife's situation.

She has a business degree and currently hates her job. I told her about OT and she really liked the broad range of opportunities it comes with and decided to go back to school for OT. There are two schools in the area that offer OT degree.

1) This is a state school. If she decides to get her degree from this school, it would take her 4 years to graduate, because they require an Occupational therapy/science degree prior to applying to the master's program. Total would be at around 40k for all 4 years.

2) This one is a private school. It would only take her 3 years to get her OT degree from this school as they don't require a BS in OT. But the cost would be 60k .

So, I like the private school idea better, because even though it is more expensive, she would graduate a year earlier and would start making 40k-55k a year earlier. Would that actually offset the cost between the 2 schools?

I would like to hear what you'd do in this situation. Please offer some advice. Thank you in advance everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

From a strictly financial point of view the private school sounds better.

As you said... the fourth year she wil be making money instead of spending it.

And it's very possible that while she is in school there will be debt taken on? So it would be one less year of loans and strain on the credit cards?

And if there is any debt taken on, the payoff process will begin one year sooner, which is nice.

Non-financially, it will be one less year of strain, and if you wanted kids, one year sooner for them.

Are her pre reqs done? how long will they take?
What area are you located?