Need Career Advice

ChRcc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a high school junior from Massachusetts, and I'm starting to look at what I should do for a career. Here is what I'm certain of: I want to help people through my work, and I want to make a difference in the world. Along with that, though, I want to have somewhat of a personal life and get married in the future. I would love to become a doctor, but I'm not sure of the true impact it'll have on my life. To that end, I'm also considering a career in biochemistry with a focus in medicine. I've read articles for both sides, but I don't know whether a career as a doctor will make it impossible for me to live my life. Since most of you guys have probably been in my position, I could really use some help. I know my problems aren't as bad as what some of you face every day, but I could still use some advice. Thanks for any help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I know college juniors (and seniors) who still aren't sure what they want to do with their lives! You have plenty of time.

A career as a doctor and a "life" are not mutually exclusive. Plenty of doctors work 40 hours a week, go on vacations, have a family and kids, etc. If you're the type of person who is going to be consumed by your work to the extent that having a family is impossible, that's going to happen regardless of which profession you choose.

My best advice would be to actually go and talk to and/or shadow some doctors. Get a feel for what the profession is really like. More importantly, enjoy your last year or so of HS. You don't have to make any decisions now--actually, you shouldn't. You'll be a completely different person four years from now, when you actually get to the point where you have to start choosing a life path.

By "a career in biochemistry with a focus in medicine" do you mean professor of biochemistry at a medical school?

There's no guarantee that you'll 'work' any less than a physician (except for maybe in residency), you'll just be doing different stuff - writing grants all day, teaching classes, managing your lab or labs, etc. My suggestion is - get married BEFORE you do ANYTHING.

But seriously, go to college, see what you really like as an adult, then pursue that. If biochem is still your thing, then go for it. You'll probably change your mind 9 or 10 times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with what you want.

If you really want the job, and you really want the family, you can make both happen.

Of course you will make sacrifices on both ends, but you do that for anything.

You add Jelly to a peanut butter sandwich, you make it more awkward to add other things to it such as maybe chocolate or bananas. But in the end, you're sandwich will still taste fantastic, because you still chose it.

It's about learning to balance things.

By "a career in biochemistry with a focus in medicine" do you mean professor of biochemistry at a medical school?

There's no guarantee that you'll 'work' any less than a physician (except for maybe in residency), you'll just be doing different stuff - writing grants all day, teaching classes, managing your lab or labs, etc. My suggestion is - get married BEFORE you do ANYTHING.

But seriously, go to college, see what you really like as an adult, then pursue that. If biochem is still your thing, then go for it. You'll probably change your mind 9 or 10 times.

LOL I see what you did there

I would say shadow or get involved in some hospitals finding out if it really is for you.

Tons of people go into medicine, and tons have normal lives. And ditto to what's been said above: if you're the type of person to be consumed by their job, that will happen anywhere.

Many doctors have normal work days, and then just go home. Nothing wrong with that. No one expects you to be superhuman.

You have tons of time to decide. Major in what you WANT in college. I'm majoring in engineering because it's something that I enjoy. I'm pretending that I'm not going to apply to med school (ie, I'm treating college as something that I'm doing to work in that field later on).