Need clarity on requirements for licensure requirements in Tennessee!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk0914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make sense of the licensure requirements in Tennessee. Can anyone offer insight about the HSP designation and whether it is required to to practice as a licensed psychologist? If not, is post-doctoral experience still required? The wording in the official document from the Board of Examiners is extremely confusing.

I am nearing completion of my internship (APA accredited) and do not plan on completing a formal post-doc... and I have no clue where I stand with their requirements.

Any help would be awesome!!

Members don't see this ad.

Call the board
I forgot to mention that part... I did, but the person that answered seemed as clueless as I was. He couldn't answer my questions without referencing the same document, let alone clarify in simpler terms what it meant. He offered me a direct line to one of the examiners, but I wasn't able to reach him the couple of times I attempted to call. I also called the main number again on a different occasion hoping another person would answer. Turns out this guy might be the only one working the position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that part... I did, but the person that answered seemed as clueless as I was. He couldn't answer my questions without referencing the same document, let alone clarify in simpler terms what it meant. He offered me a direct line to one of the examiners, but I wasn't able to reach him the couple of times I attempted to call. I also called the main number again on a different occasion hoping another person would answer. Turns out this guy might be the only one working the position.
That is usually the way it is for the state boards. One office person who does not and probably should not answer specific questions and difficulty getting a hold of anyone on the board to ask them.
Here is what I found on the site:
Health Service Provider (HSP) - A licensee who delivers direct, preventive, assessment and therapeutic intervention services to individuals whose growth, adjustment, or functioning is actually impaired or may be at risk of impairment.

To me this sounds like the work of a practicing clinical psychologist. I am thinking the non HSP designation is intended for the more academic types who do research and teaching and no clinical practice.

That is usually the way it is for the state boards. One office person who does not and probably should not answer specific questions and difficulty getting a hold of anyone on the board to ask them.
Here is what I found on the site:
Health Service Provider (HSP) - A licensee who delivers direct, preventive, assessment and therapeutic intervention services to individuals whose growth, adjustment, or functioning is actually impaired or may be at risk of impairment.

To me this sounds like the work of a practicing clinical psychologist. I am thinking the non HSP designation is intended for the more academic types who do research and teaching and no clinical practice.

Hi - thank you for the reply! Yes, that was my impression, too... The fact that it continuously stated "IF you plan to apply for the HSP designation..." is what made it so confusing, because it suggested there was an alternative. Yet did not clarify anywhere what the alternative was.

That said, seems like post-doctoral hours are in fact required (in my case) and this HSP designated license is what I need to be applying for, specifically.

Thanks again!

Hi, I have insight into this as my wife and I have discussed moving to TN to be closer to her family.

So they had a person who was the psychology board liason quit a few weeks ago. Her email just stopped working, so I called and that's the case. Nevertheless, if I remember correctly their licensing process is pretty straightforward: 1900 postdoc, 1900 pre-doc internship. I think if your internship isnt appic or apa its pretty difficult, but not impossible. APA accred makes it alot easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Having gone through the process in TN...
Yes, you should apply for HSP designation and you will need to be supervised by a licensed psychologist until you complete your postdoc hours. Your supervisor will have to sign something to that effect...it is in the packet somewhere.

I can tell you that the process in TN is kind of a pain (probably is in every state, I guess). As bmed said, I also heard that the previous liason quit and there is someone new there. I haven't had any contact with the new person yet. One thing to keep in mind when applying is that the board only meets 4 times per year. Meaning that if you submit just after one of their meetings, it may be a while before you are approved to begin accruing postdoc hours.