Need direction and advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need some direction as to what to do after graduation. I think my sGPA is too low and was planning on doing a post-bacc or SMP anyways to increase my chances of getting in. I know I definitely need improvement but I would like direction as to where.
  1. Cumulative GPA 3.35
    AMCAS sGPA 3.26
    AACOMAS sGPA 3.26
  2. Planning to take my first MCAT in May 2018. What should be a target score?
  3. TX resident
  4. Asian female, first generation college student
  5. Large TX public university
  6. Clinical experience: Over 250 hours with direct patient volunteer experience in a hospital over the last 4 summers.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Computational bio research for over 1 year, no awards/recognition
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours in freshman year shadowing a fam med M.D.; sat in 3-4 general surgeries (bariatric and podiatry)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteering with the diversity office at my university and working with different minority and underrepresented groups
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Rising Star award through the Diversity Office at my school, member of future doctors of America and inactive member of a large service co-ed fraternity
  11. Work: Spent Summer '17 scribing at a large public hospital and scribed at urgent care, trauma, and observation units.
  12. Special circumstances: During my freshman year, my father lost his job due to layoffs at his company and this really affected me mentally and emotionally because my family financially supports me. During my sophomore year, my grandmother who I was close with and lived with us for 8+ years died of cancer and really caused me to have a big mess up in sophomore year (changed a class to pass/fail in fall semester and dropped a bio class in spring semester).

Members don't see this ad.

So I need some direction as to what to do after graduation. I think my sGPA is too low and was planning on doing a post-bacc or SMP anyways to increase my chances of getting in. I know I definitely need improvement but I would like direction as to where.
  1. Cumulative GPA 3.35
    AMCAS sGPA 3.26
    AACOMAS sGPA 3.26
  2. Planning to take my first MCAT in May 2018. What should be a target score?
  3. TX resident
  4. Asian female, first generation college student
  5. Large TX public university
  6. Clinical experience: Over 250 hours with direct patient volunteer experience in a hospital over the last 4 summers.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Computational bio research for over 1 year, no awards/recognition
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours in freshman year shadowing a fam med M.D.; sat in 3-4 general surgeries (bariatric and podiatry)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteering with the diversity office at my university and working with different minority and underrepresented groups
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Rising Star award through the Diversity Office at my school, member of future doctors of America and inactive member of a large service co-ed fraternity
  11. Work: Spent Summer '17 scribing at a large public hospital and scribed at urgent care, trauma, and observation units.
  12. Special circumstances: During my freshman year, my father lost his job due to layoffs at his company and this really affected me mentally and emotionally because my family financially supports me. During my sophomore year, my grandmother who I was close with and lived with us for 8+ years died of cancer and really caused me to have a big mess up in sophomore year (changed a class to pass/fail in fall semester and dropped a bio class in spring semester).

Being a Tx resident will help you, but your GPAs are both low so you’re gonna need a very solid MCAT score. The above poster is right, try to score as high as possible. If I were you and my FL scores were below 508 I’d consider postponing if you’re close to the exam day.

Reactions: 1 user