Need EC help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my junior year this fall. So far I have

~200 hours hospital volunteering
~100 hours non-medical volunteering
1 semester of chem research (not really worth mentioning though)
~10 hours shadowing

What I have planned:

Research for the next two years (bio dept)
Possibly joining an intermural sport team or club that interests me
More community service/volunteering
Shadowing
???

I moved recently so I haven't volunteered in a little. Should I try to secure another hospital volunteering gig, or do I have enough under my belt? I know continuity is important.

Tell me what you think and thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I am going into my junior year this fall. So far I have

~200 hours hospital volunteering
~100 hours non-medical volunteering
1 semester of chem research (not really worth mentioning though)
~10 hours shadowing

What I have planned:

Research for the next two years (bio dept)
Possibly joining an intermural sport team or club that interests me
More community service/volunteering
Shadowing
???

I moved recently so I haven't volunteered in a little. Should I try to secure another hospital volunteering gig, or do I have enough under my belt? I know continuity is important.

Tell me what you think and thanks for reading!
Does any of your community service help the poor (nonstudents)? Is any of it in the realm of teaching? What leadership role have you planned to take on?

Instead of another hospital gig, maybe broaden your experience to hospice, a skilled-level nursing home, rehab, or free/low-income clinic, etc.

Does any of your community service help the poor (nonstudents)? Is any of it in the realm of teaching? What leadership role have you planned to take on?

Instead of another hospital gig, maybe broaden your experience to hospice, a skilled-level nursing home, rehab, or free/low-income clinic, etc.

Thanks for the quick response, catalystik. The community service I have done so far has been at a center for the needy, helping to distribute food and medication. I haven't done any teaching yet, although I was considering doing some tutoring at some point. Nor have I got any leadership roles lined up :scared:

Do you feel teaching/leadership are crucial? The former I could probably arrange, but the latter... I'm not so sure about :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Teaching/leadership is crucial because most interviews and secondaries will ask you to describe a teaching/leadership experience. If you can do that without a formal title necessarily, then it's ok.

I would expand your EC's to something other than the typical research/volunteering stuff. Why not try to get a leadership position a fun club? Are you musical? artistic? Med schools love this kind of stuff because they know patients won't really care about your knowledge in research and volunteering - they'll care about how you can relate with them about hobbies, sports, TV, culture, etc.