need help deciding: Adler School vs. Chicago School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoccoAndMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And as a poster previously said, no comments from the peanut gallery please. Attending a Psy.D. program in Chicago was my preference for grad school so we will leave it at that.

So I was accepted to both the Adler School and Chicago School Psy.D. program, and I honestly cannot decide which one I would rather attend. I really like Adler's vision as a whole and I like the community service aspect of their curriculum.

However, from what I hear, Chicago has a better name, and I also like how this school is more focused on multiculturalism and diversity than Adler. As far as having the "better reputation", do you think attending the Chicago school will better my chances of getting a choice internship?

I can go into all the differences, but I will leave it at this, and while I know the choice ultimately lies with me, I just wanted another opinion. Please let me know what you think (and before the APA deadline!)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really comment on Adler as I know next to nothing about it, but I've heard very mixed reviews on Chicago SPP - I've heard it's one of the most competitive professional programs and I have a friend currently attending Chicago and by all accounts loves it. However, I've also heard about some suspicious/highly unethical stuff going on there in regards to faculty/student interaction (this was coming directly from a student there who is looking to get out). From what I've heard (*not* coming from this original student) measures have been taken to correct the matter though it still makes me VERY wary of the school.

I guess based strictly on what I've heard about Chicago, I would be tempted to go with Adler but keep in mind I know basically nothing about the program and the info I do know on Chicago is very mixed and headed towards opposite ends of the spectrum just between two students. (one loves it and one hates it)

The Chicago School definitely enjoys a better reputation than Adler - no question. Of course that is not to say that Adler fails to produce some very good clinicians, but they perhaps represent the exception that proves the rule.

With regards to the ethical concerns raised by blindchaos, I believe he/she is referring to a singular incident involving a professor's (alleged) ethical violation with a student which was handled by the school's administration in a timely and professional manner. I recently was told that professor in question is appealing his dismissal and is currently teaching at another professional psychology program in Chicago. Moreover, I do not share the exaggerated skepticism endorsed by blindchaos with regards to this incident; it is unfair to generalize the quality of a program based upon the actions of one former professor. The bottom line is that this issue is resolved from the school's point-of-view and should not weigh heavily in your decision to accept or reject their offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who will be attending Adler. She said that she liked how small the program was and the atmosphere.

I looked into both of the schools and used to live in chicago. From what i could tell, CSPP is more respected. If I had to choose one to go to, it would be that. Although the area of town that it is in is impossible to get around in. It is right by the river and near the merchandise mart. I almost suffered an anger stroke while trying to drive around down there and walking doesn't seem much easier. Just something to think about if you are easily annoyed by traffic or lack of crosswalks.

Plus the people from Argosy are right down the street and you may get caught up in some grad student on grad student violence, turf wars, rumbles over stolen clients, that sort of thing. However, I'm not you, so what i would do shouldn't mean much. Also, I hear Adler is a good school too, so i am sure you would be fine at either one.

Plus the people from Argosy are right down the street and you may get caught up in some grad student on grad student violence, turf wars, rumbles over stolen clients, that sort of thing. However, I'm not you, so what i would do shouldn't mean much. Also, I hear Adler is a good school too, so i am sure you would be fine at either one.

The CSPP Sharks vs. the Argosy Jets..........:laugh:

Plus the people from Argosy are right down the street and you may get caught up in some grad student on grad student violence, turf wars, rumbles over stolen clients, that sort of thing.

OMG! That is hilarious! Cage fight!!! :laugh:

Rocco....are you going to tell us what you decided??

oh yes, i chose chicago school! I resorted to base my decision on shallow reasons, like the fact that its more convenient via el train, its appears to have a better student life, and the place looks a lot nicer. I know its seems like ridiculous reasons, but they are the little details that make you feel more comfortable for the next 5 years and $100 grand....

all i gotta say is that those argosy folks best watch their back! i grew up on the mean streets of the chicago suburbs. people will be throwing around freudian insults at each other.....[deleted]

*MOD NOTE: Don't curse, even with ***'s. -t*

oh yes, i chose chicago school! I resorted to base my decision on shallow reasons, like the fact that its more convenient via el train, its appears to have a better student life, and the place looks a lot nicer. I know its seems like ridiculous reasons
I don't think that is a ridiculous reason. After all, neither school is drastically better than the other and if the most important aspects of choosing where to go are nearly the same for the two universities, you might as well look further down the list for reason to choose one over the other. Now if one school sucked but you chose to go to it because there was a McDonald's next door and you just love those Big Macs, that would be ridiculous.

However, i must reiterate to you. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever attempt to drive to the Chicago School. It is like trying to cross the Atlantic in a row boat. I tried driving in that area once. I am suprised i didn't die of starvation.

I second that!

JackD said:
However, i must reiterate to you. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever attempt to drive to the Chicago School. It is like trying to cross the Atlantic in a row boat. I tried driving in that area once. I am suprised i didn't die of starvation.

Hey guys, I just got accepted from both schools, The chicago school of Professional psych and Argosy (masters)_.

Argosy has somewhat of a joint program where the masters leads to the 3rd year Psy.D whereas you would have to formally apply from the masters to the Psy.D at the Chicago School.

Im having trouble deciding. Schaumburg told me they matched 79% on APPIC last year vs. chicago school saying they matched 82%. Not sure where to go. I may save some time by going to schaumburg, can anyone shed some light on the reputation of both and which is better?

Thanks